Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Jun 19, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
flutterfly
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile Counter Exchange Rates

Good morning,

I have been saving up for dollars for our trip in cash here and there. I would say I have squirrelled about £1000.

My question is, if I just walk up to an exchange rate counter, rather than ordering online in advance, would I lose out greatly on the rate?

It would save a trip to the bank and some time but maybe the difference would be worth it?

Can I order one with anyone then pay in cash? Is there much variation in walk-up rates?

Many thanks,
Kathryn
CBR 2015, 2017, 2019 and 2023
flutterfly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Mobile

Most places don’t accept cash and want it from a card, but I always have no problem preordering online on Thomas Cook and paying cash.
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Tsoski
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

You will "usually" get a better rate ordering online look at the exchange rates on the side of the dibb to get an idea of how big the difference can be. As long as you get it before the airport the difference would be minimised
Tsoski is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A lot of reputable forex agents are nervous about taking cash because of money laundering risks.

John Lewis are regularly the best "High Street" rates (see DIBB table alongside). Order on line and collect from any Waitrose or JL store. You'll need to pay your cash into the bank first then use a CC or DC to pay JL.

Walk up rates are notoriously poor especially at the airport.

Mick
Old 23 Jun 19, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
baboons
Apprentice Imagineer

I find the best counter rates are from small financial offices rather than the big businesses. My local place is always more than 1c better than Debenhams/Tesco/Thomas Cook.
baboons is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Mobile

As Mick said, I think my tendency would be towards John Lewis for your best high street rate 👍
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Nanny
Imagineer

I agree with JL best cash exchange rate. Depending on how much you get in return do take ID in case they ask
Disney Nanny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Hi I use this compare website, money.co.uk
Take a screen shot of the Debenhams online rate & they honour it & you get £5 to use on the day, on Debenhams own brand, their rate usually beats Tesco & Asda rates, plus you don’t have to pre order, I usually go within a few hours of taking the screen shot though & pay cash
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
I’ve recently ordered from no1currency that have a local store for pick up. Order online and pay cash in store. Got a better rate than others locally ($1.25) - ordered Saturday, picking up tomorrow.
Old 23 Jun 19, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

I needed some currency the other week so popped into John Lewis. Whilst in there I checked their rate online and it was the same as at the counter. They accepted cash which in my case was just over £500
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List