Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by rudie111 View Post
Plan for it or not, we don't have much choice do we
No we donít, but itís a huge problem so if you are going down the legitimate route, Iím interested to know whether the majority of folks are just gambling on it not happening to them and will worry about it if it does at the time, or researching it in advance for their destination company and having a back up plan or whether some insurance companies cover that specific risk, and if so which ones?
So in my case I visited my sisters home in Spain in July, so could have stayed there for months if need be.
I may visit Italy pre Christmas and I canít make head nor tail of their rules. Iím booked for Antigua in a beautiful villa with family in January and I canít worry about that now, and am due on a DCL cruise in March in and out of the USA so Iíve no idea right now about that either!
Iím guessing most folks just ignore the risk and hope that it wonít happen, so perhaps Iím overthinking it!

Edited at 10:09 AM.
CarolynU is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 21, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mrmoo123 View Post
The Day 2 test makes absolute no sense - it isn't even monitored ! The only thing it gives you is a reference number so you can complete your form. No one will check if you take that test or not - so someone tell me what is the point?!

Even if it WAS monitored, it still makes no sense - as someone already mentioned, you could have come home, seen your family, been to the supermarket, been back to work etc. by the time you do the test, let alone then wait a further several days for the results. By then if you have covid, you have more then likely already spread it... so again, what is it achieving here?!
I must admit, I was worried if I'd missed something and was unsure if you were allowed out until you'd had the results. I mean as you say, by the time you have taken the test and got your result you could have been all over the place.
happytraveller is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 21, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

Much of my experience with checking 'proof' of tests and vaccines has been a farce.

I was at Gardeners world and they said you had to be double jabbed or a -ve LFT, they hardly checked this, most were just holding up phones that were only glanced at or some were just flashing the appointment card for a vaccination or sowing their vaccination letter/bar code, all of which could have been anyone's - no evidence was checked at all, everyone was just given a wrist band and waved through.

Either do them properly or not at all.
Chilli-pepper is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 21, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
kaiser7
Getting Excited

Testing is a money making exercise. No more or no less. With that in mind, they wonít scrap them in a hurry.

As Tom M alluded to, thereís certainly ways to ensure you never get a positive test anyway, so what on earth is the point?
kaiser7 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 21, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by loldis View Post
I have no confidence to travel at the moment because of the risk of being stranded abroad. Nothing to do with fear of catching covid or affordability concerns, but the uncertainty. Because this country has decided that its vaccinated residents still require two tests to enter, despite months of telling us that jabs would be the way back to normal life.

As Andy says, there could be people on the flight who have contracted Covid between testing and boarding. So testing is more for appearing safe rather than actually being safe. And a flight has no greater risk than the many activities we can do locally either with no requirements at all or by showing vaccination status.
I guess the difference is the only place I am looking to travel to at the moment (other than Florida - which won't have us) is Portugal.

I own my own house there, and we have our house in the Uk. My work is all "remote/online" so I guess to me there is little difference in being stranded abroad, I'd be equally happy in either country

I realise this is a minority scenario, but I did say it was my opinion and the issue of being stranded abroad doesn't affect me so it would be hard to have a different opinion
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 21, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

How on earth do you make sure you get a negative test?
aprilshack is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 21, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Originally Posted by Chilli-pepper View Post
Much of my experience with checking 'proof' of tests and vaccines has been a farce.

I was at Gardeners world and they said you had to be double jabbed or a -ve LFT, they hardly checked this, most were just holding up phones that were only glanced at or some were just flashing the appointment card for a vaccination or sowing their vaccination letter/bar code, all of which could have been anyone's - no evidence was checked at all, everyone was just given a wrist band and waved through.

Either do them properly or not at all.
However isn't this like many things, the onus is placed on you to be able to prove it.

Random checks mean that if you haven't actually got that proof you could be caught, yes this means some people will game the system and "get in" without proof - but they also run the risk of detection and ejection/prosecution

There has to be a sensible "middle ground" between checking everyone (and the process being far too slow) and a total open-season
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 21, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
kaiser7
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
Plenty of companies offer a certificate for flying back to the UK if you send them a photo of a negative test. Itís not hard to see how that could be taken advantage of.
kaiser7 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 21, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
Depends on how you take it and how supervised you are.

LFT can be easily spoofed, the base solution with some human matter introduced will always produce a -ve test (unless that human matter had the virus on it - rub it on your hair it will produce a -ve)

Equally do a NHS test first to see you come back negative then get that one person to do the whole families tests - the testing isn't sensitive enough to know it wasn't you who did the test.

Even with a supervised PCR, a very large sluicing of nostrils and cheeks with water in the couple of minutes before the test reduces the detectable virus load massively (that is why it tells you not to eat/drink in the 45 minutes before testing)

There are loads of other ways - but the reality is, if you have COVID would you want to be on holiday with it anyway?
Old 8 Sep 21, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Ben1993
slightly serious Dibber

Disappointing if the big review is just merging green and amber, they really need to overhaul the testing as others have said here. Scrapping the tests for vaccinated travellers would instantly restore confidence to the market. I get that a lot of people feel safer knowing everyone on the flight has presented a negative test result (notice I didn't say are actually negative) but just from my conversations with people I think the testing regimes just make people say "I can't be bothered".

Edited at 10:36 AM.
Ben1993 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List