Notices

Old 8 Sep 21, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Ben1993 View Post
Disappointing if the bug review is just merging green and amber, they really need to overhaul the testing as others have said here. Scrapping the tests for vaccinated travellers would instantly restore confidence to the market. I get that a lot of people feel safer knowing everyone on the flight has presented a negative test result (notice I didn't say are actually negative) but just from my conversations with people I think the testing regimes just make people say "I can't be bothered".
I don't think they can scrap testing for vaccinated unless they scrap for all. There are countless people unable (medically) to take the vaccine, they shouldn't be discriminated against

Equally if you make an exception for those, you then discriminate against those who are unvaccinated.(that made a perfectly legal choice to not have the vaccine) You can no longer make the argument that travel without test/jab is not safe because you are letting all the exceptions do it - so it becomes discriminatory

Testing is here to stay for all, or go for all. It will never be removed completely just for jabbed
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 21, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

I love the DIBB !
Ive just ordered an LFT test to take myself to be able to fly back to the UK
Stitchesmumanddad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 21, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Ben1993
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by 123 View Post
I don't think they can scrap testing for vaccinated unless they scrap for all. There are countless people unable (medically) to take the vaccine, they shouldn't be discriminated against

Equally if you make an exception for those, you then discriminate against those who are unvaccinated.(that made a perfectly legal choice to not have the vaccine) You can no longer make the argument that travel without test/jab is not safe because you are letting all the exceptions do it - so it becomes discriminatory

Testing is here to stay for all, or go for all. It will never be removed completely just for jabbed
It has been removed in many (most?) European countries hasn't it? There has to be a starting point somewhere.
Ben1993 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 21, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

The unvaccinated are being “discriminated” already ! Ie quarantine etc
If its by their choice to be an unvaccinated person - its their choice to be “discriminated” and rightly so
Stitchesmumanddad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 21, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Andy View Post
But a country can move from Green to Red without warning according to the small print of the 'rules'

I think come October 1st on the next review there needs to be a serious overhaul of this system. It's not fit for purpose.

Testing needs to be streamlined majorly as well. Most European countries don't require a test before flying if fully vaccinated so why are we requiring 2?
Well said 🤩
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 21, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Depends on how you take it and how supervised you are.

LFT can be easily spoofed, the base solution with some human matter introduced will always produce a -ve test (unless that human matter had the virus on it - rub it on your hair it will produce a -ve)

Equally do a NHS test first to see you come back negative then get that one person to do the whole families tests - the testing isn't sensitive enough to know it wasn't you who did the test.

Even with a supervised PCR, a very large sluicing of nostrils and cheeks with water in the couple of minutes before the test reduces the detectable virus load massively (that is why it tells you not to eat/drink in the 45 minutes before testing)

There are loads of other ways - but the reality is, if you have COVID would you want to be on holiday with it anyway?
The person that I knew had absolutely zero symptoms and had no idea that he was positive. He and his wife were out in Spain for a week house hunting for a second home. The day before flying home they both took their video supervised LFT to fly home and she was negative and he tested positive.
She flew home and he remained in Spain initially adding on days at his hotel whilst he then found a clinic to take a PCR which also tested positive, so he then found his own apartment to rent and tried again testing at day 10. Still positive. Finally a few days later he tested negative and re-booked the flight home.
They are wealthy so apart from not knowing how long he would be stuck there work wise he wasn’t impacted.
However, that’s Spain.
I read of folks in the same situation on the Greek Isles who every member of the travelling group were taken by the police to a quarantine facility where they remained in a solitary room until they eventually too tested negative. Rather like our quarantine hotels. There was no additional expense as it was paid for in the Greek System.
Now we have no idea of what may or may not happen in the USA because we can’t travel there as tourists but it shows that different countries will deal with this very differently.
Old 8 Sep 21, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
I disagree, I have no issue travelling at the moment. I'd prefer not to have to pay for testing, but I'd probably be less confident in the safety of travel if testing was scrapped rather than more confident.

I think you are confusing confidence with affordability. I'd prefer to pay more and have some level of confidence the person sat next to me probably doesn't have COVID
Completely agree although I would like more reliable testing and more control on pricing in the UK
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 21, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Originally Posted by Stitchesmumanddad View Post
The unvaccinated are being “discriminated” already ! Ie quarantine etc
If its by their choice to be an unvaccinated person - its their choice to be “discriminated” and rightly so
Not rightly so, no-one should ever be discriminated against based on their decision to take (or not) an emergency licensed drug
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 21, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Originally Posted by Stitchesmumanddad View Post
I love the DIBB !
Ive just ordered an LFT test to take myself to be able to fly back to the UK
I’m doing the same this time. Same product as is used in the clinics/testing centres and far more convenient
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 21, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
rudie111
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by CarolynU View Post
No we don’t, but it’s a huge problem so if you are going down the legitimate route, I’m interested to know whether the majority of folks are just gambling on it not happening to them and will worry about it if it does at the time, or researching it in advance for their destination company and having a back up plan or whether some insurance companies cover that specific risk, and if so which ones?
So in my case I visited my sisters home in Spain in July, so could have stayed there for months if need be.
I may visit Italy pre Christmas and I can’t make head nor tail of their rules. I’m booked for Antigua in a beautiful villa with family in January and I can’t worry about that now, and am due on a DCL cruise in March in and out of the USA so I’ve no idea right now about that either!
I’m guessing most folks just ignore the risk and hope that it won’t happen, so perhaps I’m overthinking it!

I honestly don't know what I would do. I have a break booked for the US next April. It will be our first visit to the US (postponed from July 2020 & July 2021)

It will be a risk next year but I think if we can go, we will go.

I do wish I had booked a trip to Europe this year.

Do we have to wait till we test -Ve to fly back or do we get a recovery cert after 10 days?
rudie111 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List