Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Sep 21, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by tmwalsh View Post
High pressure still has wind especially off coast. Anyhow I'm off now to power the coal fired steam engine in case we have a blackout.
Clearly struggle to understand how little power those wind turbines produce with high pressure.

I will be buying a diesel generator for when the power goes off this winter if we have a cold spell
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
tmwalsh
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mazbar View Post
I live near the coast, I can see the big wind farm in the Mersey they where not moving the other day completely motionless, also what is the maximum speed that they work at they do not work in very windy conditions either.
Yes I live(d) on the Irish coast most of my life and know it can be calm but so what. It's not the north sea. Do you have stats as to how much energy that field creates? Is it pointless? Is wind th only game in town?

Edited at 10:35 AM.
tmwalsh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
tmwalsh
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Clearly struggle to understand how little power those wind turbines produce with high pressure.

I will be buying a diesel generator for when the power goes off this winter if we have a cold spell
Nice one. It'll keep your toilet roll and baked bean hoard warm.
tmwalsh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by tmwalsh View Post
Yes I live(d) on the Irish coast most of my life and know it can be calm but so what. It's not the north sea. Do you have stats as to how much energy that field creates? Is it pointless? Is wind th only game in town?
Wind is not the only game in town but it now produces a large proportion of our electricity, and you keep saying about the North Sea but wind turbines shut down at 55mph to protect themselves.
Mazbar is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
tmwalsh
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mazbar View Post
Wind is not the only game in town but it now produces a large proportion of our electricity, and you keep saying about the North Sea but wind turbines shut down at 55mph to protect themselves.
Yes 25% so must be pretty good.
Old 12 Sep 21, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Due to green taxes, net zero and no obvious replacements for our electricity supply, we can’t use coal or gas, we don’t have enough nuclear and when the wind does not blow we have no wind power - rolling electricity power cuts are coming.
The push for electric cars will only cause more drainage of the supply.
They already have power cuts in California.
I am not a doom merchant or conspiracy theorist - this information from many scientists is out there, just does not meet the current narrative.

Smart meters mean that it will be much easier to assess your power usage (even though we know this data is flawed) and you can be cut off by them.

We’re currently getting estimates for roof solar panels and a generator.
The solar monitor was my game changer. It makes me even out my usage, spreading washing machine, t drier and dishwasher on at separate times. Then I can maximise my solar energy. When I buy my next tumble drier (which is not always used), a delay timer will be key.
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Nuclear is the way forward as long as people are aware that we have created a disaster area in Cumbria that will haunt this Country for the next 50000 years at least.
What do you mean by this? Is Sellafield that bad? Lots of concrete bunkers under the sea?
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Posted by Dinglebert:-

“The one thing it has highlighted which did surprise me is my electricity useage in winter is far higher than in summer. ie nearly double each day. Can't work out why yet. We don't use electric heating or a tumble dryer. Will have a look this year and see what it is we do use as our bills have gone up by 50% in the past year.“

We are the same. I put it down to the central heating pump as that is the only thing we do not use in the summer.
Lights in winter? Heating pump? Oven on longer for comfort foods? More hot drinks? Immersion?
Old 12 Sep 21, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Its all smoke and mirrors. When I get up in the morning I put on the kettle and the toaster. If I also switch on the washing machine and the tv and the fridge and the freezer kick in at the same time the meter shows that I'm using too much power. Yet if each one is used separately through the day my usage is good. They have found a sales technique based on hype. It annoys me as much as the rubbish about pre-owned cars. How can this destruction of the English language be used to refer to a second hand car? If its pre-owned then its brand new.
Old 12 Sep 21, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by caj View Post
What do you mean by this? Is Sellafield that bad? Lots of concrete bunkers under the sea?
Imagine your worst ever nightmare. Then magnify it 1000's of times!

This would be a good starter for ten as a read - Legacy Ponds

The Legacy Ponds and Silos (LP&S) at Sellafield represent some of the most complex and difficult decommissioning challenges in the world, and they remain the highest risk in the NDA estate.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List