Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 18 Sep 21, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida Gator
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ladyshopper View Post
Just got back from our 3 night cruise. Boarding at Tilbury was a little bit chaotic. Out of the 4 different cruise we've done this summer (all different lines) I would say it was the least organised and the most hanging around.

For anyone else going, try and go to the loo just before you get to Tilbury, as the only toilets there before you get on the ship are grotty portaloos.

Had a great cruise, and in the main things were done well considering restrictions. There was a LOT of people not complying with mask wearing, which was disappointing. Shows were good, but I actually didn't think the singers were as good as usual which lessened my enjoyment (but I've seen them both before so it didn't matter too much). Did lots of trivia, Match Your Mate on the last night was hilarious as always.

Best thing for us was the service from the dining team and the way they dealt with gluten free food. It really was a level above any other line we've sailed, we were very impressed.

Was nice to have some family time with my adult kids and their partners (neither partner has ever been on a cruise before), although a bit weird for the kids as they've never sailed as adults before!

We had some beautiful weather, especially yesterday.
I’m a coeliac and off on the disney magic on the 27th. I’m so glad you found it good for gluten free. If you have any tips or recommendations of good things to order then I’d be really keen to hear. We’ve never cruised before so not sure what to expect with the special diets side of things. We have seen some good reviews from cruises from the US but hadn’t come across many gluten free reviews for the staycation cruises.
Florida Gator is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 21, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida Gator
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lizzim View Post
What’s this about luggage labels? I don’t think we’ve seen any reference to labels and we sail Monday?
We haven’t got any yet for our cruise on the 27th either. I had read that they can sort that at the port when arrive if haven’t received them.
Florida Gator is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 21, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Licoricelover
Excited about Disney

We are on 22nd and 24th and we were sent both sets separately. Think it’s pot luck but they will give them to you at port.
Licoricelover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 21, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Ladyshopper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Florida Gator View Post
I’m a coeliac and off on the disney magic on the 27th. I’m so glad you found it good for gluten free. If you have any tips or recommendations of good things to order then I’d be really keen to hear. We’ve never cruised before so not sure what to expect with the special diets side of things. We have seen some good reviews from cruises from the US but hadn’t come across many gluten free reviews for the staycation cruises.
I won't get my blog written up by then to direct you to, as got to write our Princess cruise up first, and we're also off to Ibiza next weekend! Will put some tips here.

One thing to say - we had an amazing experience food wise. The best thing about Disney is the rotational dining, so your servers follow you round to each restaurant in the evening, so they get to know you and any kind of food requirements. Our servers were fantastic!

Wherever you go for food, make sure you tell them you are gluten free. We went to the buffet when we got on the ship, as that's what the kids wanted to do. There is also a sit down restaurant open if you'd rather do that, or the quick serve places on the pool deck.

At the buffet, we told a member of staff we were gluten free (you can tell anyone). They then called a manager to us. He told us to walk up and down the buffet to see what we'd like, then he'd arrange for it to be cooked from fresh out the back.

I'll be honest, as a vegetarian there wasn't much choice for me, but they ended up making me some kind of warm salad thing, which was actually very nice. I also had some fries. Later on during the meal, the manager came out with a hotdog, as he had found that there were beyond meat sausages (gluten free and vegan) so he'd had one made for me along with a GF bun! If you're veggie like me, or just don't like what is there, they will happily make you something else.

We were told that the salad bar, other than croutons was also fine for us, and it was a member of staff serving so no cross contamination issues.

Dinner wise, if you've already told DCL the servers should have a note of it, but if you haven't (or they don't) then just let them know. GF dishes are marked on the menu, however they are all meat or fish based, so again, as a vegetarian coeliac nothing for me. After some discussion I was able to have a soup (it was marked as GF but had to get it confirmed it had been made with veggie stock), and I ordered GF pasta with a tomato and vegetable sauce for main (this was suggested to me, they always have GF pasta and can make any sauce). Puddings aren't marked up, think we just had ice-cream that night.

Bread service comes out first, they have GF rolls and separate butter portions. We were also given a dip to ourselves, all the dips we had were GF.

After dinner we were given the next nights menu to pre-order (if they don't ask you to do this, make sure you ask). We decided on a sit down breakfast rather than buffet). The GF mickey waffles are a must, and my husband says the pancakes were too. You can order any cooked breakfast type food you want. They also have GF muffins (pre-packaged and were very nice), we did have to ask about these at breakfast though.

We decided not to pre-order lunch as knew we wanted to try pizza. Pre-ordered dinner, there was nothing for me (again!) so asked for a vegetarian GF mushroom risotto. Have to say this was amazing when it came!

At the quick service places, you need to say you want to place a gluten free order, and they contact a manager to come out. Pinocchio's Pizza - AMAZING. Best GF pizza I've ever had. All prepared separately out the back, as are all the GF orders from the quick service places.

Duck-in Diner is where you get burgers, hot dogs, chicken tenders and fries. All of these can be GF. They also do a veggie and GF Impossible burger and the Beyond meat hot dog. My husband said the chicken tenders were great.

Daisy's Delites is a more healthy place, it does sandwiches, paninis, salads, fruit and cookies. They can make anything there GF. Definitely ask for the cookies - they are fantastic! They also get a manager to come even if it's just to hand over pre-packaged cookies! We also asked for grapes one day, they send someone down to the kitchen to get fresh ones (although in our case, they got red ones instead of green, and I don't like them, so the manager then asked if it was ok to change gloves and wash them, which we said it was).

Didn't get chance to sample room service as we were too full of food, but I've heard good reviews about it.

The last morning we decided to eat in the buffet as I had a feeling it would be quiet (it wasn't advertised on the app, but I had read from other cruises it was open), and I was right, it was. So my top tip would be go there!

We pre-ordered the night before, then once we got to the buffet, told a member of staff we were gluten free and had pre-ordered. Our head server from the restaurant ended up bringing our meals up!

This was our 4th cruise this summer, and Disney was by far the best when it comes to GF. Nothing is too much trouble, you're not made to feel like a pain, and the food was great.

If you have a manager called Partha come out to deal with your special orders at the quick service places, he is lovely. He took all our orders on our cruise, and if we told him where we were sitting was more than happy to bring our food to us.

So, my three top tips are as follows:

1) Make sure you tell people you're gluten free, they'll then do all they can to help.

2) Make sure you order pizza from Pinocchio's at some point, it's amazing!

3) Eat at Cabanas on the last morning. It was very leisurely and quiet, and you can just take your time. They also had open debarking (normally you're only supposed to get off when they call your luggage tag, but they announced as soon as the ship was cleared that anyone could walk off).

I hope you have an amazing time, and that this allays any fears you have about food!
Ladyshopper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 21, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
poppie123
Excited about Disney

Quick question for those who have already cruised.

How long did you have to wait for duplicate pending charges to drop off your account?
I've got one charge of £400.02 come out my bank today which is correct,
but I've noticed ive now got another pending charge for £400.63 🤷

Edited at 04:14 PM.
poppie123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 21, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
nicbev
Apprentice Imagineer

Is there enough on board for adults without any children? Went to Tilbury to see the magic last Friday was so envious of people going on there, my mum has offered to come with me but she is not a huge Disney fan, she loves cruises but not sure if this will be for her. My husband and son have no interest plus can’t take son out of school. I need my Disney fix after not getting to Florida this year. Also cabin wise you are only there to sleep really so it doesn’t matter if you go for the cheapest?
Many thanks for any advice and hope everyone who has been has had a lovely time
nicbev is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 21, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida Gator
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ladyshopper View Post
I won't get my blog written up by then to direct you to, as got to write our Princess cruise up first, and we're also off to Ibiza next weekend! Will put some tips here.

One thing to say - we had an amazing experience food wise. The best thing about Disney is the rotational dining, so your servers follow you round to each restaurant in the evening, so they get to know you and any kind of food requirements. Our servers were fantastic!

Wherever you go for food, make sure you tell them you are gluten free. We went to the buffet when we got on the ship, as that's what the kids wanted to do. There is also a sit down restaurant open if you'd rather do that, or the quick serve places on the pool deck.

At the buffet, we told a member of staff we were gluten free (you can tell anyone). They then called a manager to us. He told us to walk up and down the buffet to see what we'd like, then he'd arrange for it to be cooked from fresh out the back.

I'll be honest, as a vegetarian there wasn't much choice for me, but they ended up making me some kind of warm salad thing, which was actually very nice. I also had some fries. Later on during the meal, the manager came out with a hotdog, as he had found that there were beyond meat sausages (gluten free and vegan) so he'd had one made for me along with a GF bun! If you're veggie like me, or just don't like what is there, they will happily make you something else.

We were told that the salad bar, other than croutons was also fine for us, and it was a member of staff serving so no cross contamination issues.

Dinner wise, if you've already told DCL the servers should have a note of it, but if you haven't (or they don't) then just let them know. GF dishes are marked on the menu, however they are all meat or fish based, so again, as a vegetarian coeliac nothing for me. After some discussion I was able to have a soup (it was marked as GF but had to get it confirmed it had been made with veggie stock), and I ordered GF pasta with a tomato and vegetable sauce for main (this was suggested to me, they always have GF pasta and can make any sauce). Puddings aren't marked up, think we just had ice-cream that night.

Bread service comes out first, they have GF rolls and separate butter portions. We were also given a dip to ourselves, all the dips we had were GF.

After dinner we were given the next nights menu to pre-order (if they don't ask you to do this, make sure you ask). We decided on a sit down breakfast rather than buffet). The GF mickey waffles are a must, and my husband says the pancakes were too. You can order any cooked breakfast type food you want. They also have GF muffins (pre-packaged and were very nice), we did have to ask about these at breakfast though.

We decided not to pre-order lunch as knew we wanted to try pizza. Pre-ordered dinner, there was nothing for me (again!) so asked for a vegetarian GF mushroom risotto. Have to say this was amazing when it came!

At the quick service places, you need to say you want to place a gluten free order, and they contact a manager to come out. Pinocchio's Pizza - AMAZING. Best GF pizza I've ever had. All prepared separately out the back, as are all the GF orders from the quick service places.

Duck-in Diner is where you get burgers, hot dogs, chicken tenders and fries. All of these can be GF. They also do a veggie and GF Impossible burger and the Beyond meat hot dog. My husband said the chicken tenders were great.

Daisy's Delites is a more healthy place, it does sandwiches, paninis, salads, fruit and cookies. They can make anything there GF. Definitely ask for the cookies - they are fantastic! They also get a manager to come even if it's just to hand over pre-packaged cookies! We also asked for grapes one day, they send someone down to the kitchen to get fresh ones (although in our case, they got red ones instead of green, and I don't like them, so the manager then asked if it was ok to change gloves and wash them, which we said it was).

Didn't get chance to sample room service as we were too full of food, but I've heard good reviews about it.

The last morning we decided to eat in the buffet as I had a feeling it would be quiet (it wasn't advertised on the app, but I had read from other cruises it was open), and I was right, it was. So my top tip would be go there!

We pre-ordered the night before, then once we got to the buffet, told a member of staff we were gluten free and had pre-ordered. Our head server from the restaurant ended up bringing our meals up!

This was our 4th cruise this summer, and Disney was by far the best when it comes to GF. Nothing is too much trouble, you're not made to feel like a pain, and the food was great.

If you have a manager called Partha come out to deal with your special orders at the quick service places, he is lovely. He took all our orders on our cruise, and if we told him where we were sitting was more than happy to bring our food to us.

So, my three top tips are as follows:

1) Make sure you tell people you're gluten free, they'll then do all they can to help.

2) Make sure you order pizza from Pinocchio's at some point, it's amazing!

3) Eat at Cabanas on the last morning. It was very leisurely and quiet, and you can just take your time. They also had open debarking (normally you're only supposed to get off when they call your luggage tag, but they announced as soon as the ship was cleared that anyone could walk off).

I hope you have an amazing time, and that this allays any fears you have about food!
That’s an absolutely amazing review, so helpful. Thank you so much! Glad you had a brilliant time, I’m very excited especially for the pizza 🍕
Old 19 Sep 21, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Originally Posted by nicbev View Post
Is there enough on board for adults without any children? Went to Tilbury to see the magic last Friday was so envious of people going on there, my mum has offered to come with me but she is not a huge Disney fan, she loves cruises but not sure if this will be for her. My husband and son have no interest plus can’t take son out of school. I need my Disney fix after not getting to Florida this year. Also cabin wise you are only there to sleep really so it doesn’t matter if you go for the cheapest?
Oh my goodness yes! So many YouTube videos on line with adults only. So much to do and just such pampering.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 21, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by nicbev View Post
We did 3 this year and all were just adults. I think it took us a total of 8 nights to do it all. We spent time round the adult pool, saw the shows, went to the cinema 3 times, spent evenings in the piano bar drinking cocktails, did quizzes in Fathoms every night, played bingo, went to the spa a few times, did some tasting sessions -champagne, beer, wine, martini, had brunch at Palos, didn’t rush to get up on a morning, we had a verandah so sat out there and read and mainly just relaxed and enjoyed not cooking, cleaning or ironing! We did also do some character spotting and a couple of our younger adults did go down the slides but I didn’t.

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 21, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by poppie123 View Post
Quick question for those who have already cruised.

How long did you have to wait for duplicate pending charges to drop off your account?
I've got one charge of £400.02 come out my bank today which is correct,
but I've noticed ive now got another pending charge for £400.63 🤷
It’s a holding charge which should drop off within a week. Seems to only be for people who registered a debit card on the onboard account. Credits cards have the same but you don’t see it as it’s never actually charged.

Joa