Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Sep 21, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
GoofyK
Very Serious Dibber

applying tourism visa

hi, we plan to visit florida again in 2022, one of my friend have decided to join us, based on his nationality and his passport, he would need to apply for tourism B2 visa.

My concern is that at this moment, US embassy still not accepting appointment for tourism visa, and I can imagine once they start there will be a huge backlog.

how realistic is it for him to get a a visa to join us for next July trip. I have not apply for this type of visa before so I'm not even sure how long does the process takes. I remember some suggest to get the ball rolling but fill in the application for online and pay the fee first?

anyone in the similar situation?

edit:

I have just tried to fill in the B2 visa application. and omg . the amount of details needed.. I have one very big problem. it ask about date or married and when marriage ends.. my friend has no idea and nor did he keep copies of anything.. typical man.. what to fill in then?

Edited at 02:28 PM.
GoofyK is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 21, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
motors_d
Getting to know the DIBB

Originally Posted by GoofyK View Post
hi, we plan to visit florida again in 2022, one of my friend have decided to join us, based on his nationality and his passport, he would need to apply for tourism B2 visa.

My concern is that at this moment, US embassy still not accepting appointment for tourism visa, and I can imagine once they start there will be a huge backlog.

how realistic is it for him to get a a visa to join us for next July trip. I have not apply for this type of visa before so I'm not even sure how long does the process takes. I remember some suggest to get the ball rolling but fill in the application for online and pay the fee first?

anyone in the similar situation?
Hiya, one of our party needed a tourism visa and you have to fill in the application first and foremost. You don’t pay the fee until there is appointments available.
We applied in June and there were no appointments. Kept trying every day at least 3 times a day.
A couple of weeks ago and bang, one appointment was showing but this was end of March 2022. Paid the fee and appointment booked.
I think if you’re only starting the process now then there’s a good chance you might not get an appointment in time. Or you could be very lucky!
Just heard that the USA is going to be allowing uk travellers in from November so more appointments may open
motors_d is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 21, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
GoofyK
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by motors_d View Post
Hiya, one of our party needed a tourism visa and you have to fill in the application first and foremost. You don’t pay the fee until there is appointments available.
We applied in June and there were no appointments. Kept trying every day at least 3 times a day.
A couple of weeks ago and bang, one appointment was showing but this was end of March 2022. Paid the fee and appointment booked.
I think if you’re only starting the process now then there’s a good chance you might not get an appointment in time. Or you could be very lucky!
Just heard that the USA is going to be allowing uk travellers in from November so more appointments may open
thank you soooo much for sharing your experience.. I wasn't sure what and when to start the application but I guess I really should do it now!. its so nerve wrecking as even with the appointment it still doesn't guarantee he gets the visa. another friend of mine got decline before few years back.. sigh..

do you mind me asking do you know what documents to bring or what criteria which might increase the chances?
Old 21 Sep 21, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
motors_d
Getting to know the DIBB

Originally Posted by GoofyK View Post
thank you soooo much for sharing your experience.. I wasn't sure what and when to start the application but I guess I really should do it now!. its so nerve wrecking as even with the appointment it still doesn't guarantee he gets the visa. another friend of mine got decline before few years back.. sigh..

do you mind me asking do you know what documents to bring or what criteria which might increase the chances?
This will be his second visa, his first one was granted for ten years and has just ran out 🙈 It tells you when you’re doing the application all the documents you need. Now, I’m not sure if this would apply in your situation but we had to get a police certificate from ACRO as he had a couple of minor convictions from nearly 30 years ago and the US doesn’t recognise the rehabilitation of offenders, so even spent convictions need to be declared.
The application for the visa does take a good while to fill in, at least a couple of hours as it asks for so much in depth information!
With regards to increasing your chances, unfortunately you are at the mercy of the officer and any criteria that needs to be met. You just have to make sure you take absolutely everything the application asks for and cross your fingers!
I’ve just checked the consulate website and appointment wait times are still showing as emergency appointments only. We just seemed to have been really lucky

Edited at 05:19 PM. Reason: More information
motors_d is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 21, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
theotherblonde
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

I looked into this for my husband and the embassy advised he applies six months before travel but you can apply anytime. You don't need to have your trip booked yet but you need to show a solid foundation in the UK (job, mortgage etc) and have details of where you are staying.

I haven't applied for the visa as we don't plan to travel anytime soon due to the current pandemic but, just go online, download the application form and see if he can get an apt. If someone else said they got a visa apt for March and your trip is July, I would advise he doesn't book anything or add himself to the booking until your trip is approved.

The other option is take a risk, pay a deposit and then if his visa is denied he will need to cancel within the required time before full payment was due. Its so hard to plan when you need a visa. I would advice book your holiday for your family and have your friends family book for the same dates once the visa has been approved.

If your not staying onsite, book accommodation that is cancel 2 days before and pay on arrival and he can get his flight later.
theotherblonde is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 21, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
GoofyK
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by motors_d View Post
This will be his second visa, his first one was granted for ten years and has just ran out 🙈 It tells you when you’re doing the application all the documents you need. Now, I’m not sure if this would apply in your situation but we had to get a police certificate from ACRO as he had a couple of minor convictions from nearly 30 years ago and the US doesn’t recognise the rehabilitation of offenders, so even spent convictions need to be declared.
The application for the visa does take a good while to fill in, at least a couple of hours as it asks for so much in depth information!
With regards to increasing your chances, unfortunately you are at the mercy of the officer and any criteria that needs to be met. You just have to make sure you take absolutely everything the application asks for and cross your fingers!
I’ve just checked the consulate website and appointment wait times are still showing as emergency appointments only. We just seemed to have been really lucky
Thank u. I totally agree with u that I think it’s all down to the officer. I still remember when my friend got refuse few years back, we ask if we could try the application again. The officer simply said ‘I’m the only one in the office who can grant her visa and I’m not going to do it. You could try another consulate. But don’t waste your time’!
She explain she she every reason to believe my friend is seeking to stay in USA for good just because she doesn’t have British citizenship. But she has 3 young children who is British citizen and living in uk. Apparently that’s not strong ties enough. Sigh 😔
Old 22 Sep 21, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
GoofyK
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by theotherblonde View Post
I looked into this for my husband and the embassy advised he applies six months before travel but you can apply anytime. You don't need to have your trip booked yet but you need to show a solid foundation in the UK (job, mortgage etc) and have details of where you are staying.

I haven't applied for the visa as we don't plan to travel anytime soon due to the current pandemic but, just go online, download the application form and see if he can get an apt. If someone else said they got a visa apt for March and your trip is July, I would advise he doesn't book anything or add himself to the booking until your trip is approved.

The other option is take a risk, pay a deposit and then if his visa is denied he will need to cancel within the required time before full payment was due. Its so hard to plan when you need a visa. I would advice book your holiday for your family and have your friends family book for the same dates once the visa has been approved.

If your not staying onsite, book accommodation that is cancel 2 days before and pay on arrival and he can get his flight later.
Yes it’s a good idea to book him separately. We have already booked accommodations but may be best to book his flight separately. Thank goodness for flexible policy run by airlines now. So if he can’t go we could cancel
Old 22 Sep 21, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
theotherblonde
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

So sorry to hear this. I hope it works out for you.

I have decided to wait until my husband has his British passport in a few years and also because of the pandemic before we go.
theotherblonde is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 21, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
GoofyK
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by theotherblonde View Post
So sorry to hear this. I hope it works out for you.

I have decided to wait until my husband has his British passport in a few years and also because of the pandemic before we go.
yeah.. it would def make things easier with a British passport..

my friend has been living in uk for the past 20 years.. for somereason it never occurs to him to get British citizenship back then.. now its too hard as you have to go thru all those test and he's not confident enough to go thru with it.. sigh