General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 27 Jun 21, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by stanleycamel View Post
Just a bit of information that might be of interest for the Potted Lobster fans - Richard Sim who runs the PL has recently opened a small hotel/restaurant in Alnmouth called the Whittling House. I haven't had a chance to visit the restaurant yet but will certainly will report back when I do.

thewhittlinghouse/
Thanks for this Stanley, the menu looks amazing and if I could manage to find any availability for accommodation I would be there like a rocket! I would love to hear how your visit goes.
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 21, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Your trip to Bamburgh looked great. The beach there is lovely. How cute is Milo and lovely to read about a dog friendly trip.
We were horrible owners and left our dog to have a pampered week with my mother in law while we went up North as she ( the dog) is not a fan of the car or people she doesn’t know.
Old 15 Jul 21, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
Your trip to Bamburgh looked great. The beach there is lovely. How cute is Milo and lovely to read about a dog friendly trip.
We were horrible owners and left our dog to have a pampered week with my mother in law while we went up North as she ( the dog) is not a fan of the car or people she doesn’t know.
Thank you! It was such a brilliant trip and the beach was just beautiful. We all had the best time and the whole area was super dog friendly. Your lucky pup staying home and being pampered- it really is a dogs life. Xx
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 21, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
Thanks for this Stanley, the menu looks amazing and if I could manage to find any availability for accommodation I would be there like a rocket! I would love to hear how your visit goes.
Hello Sparksy72 - just a quick update as I went to the Whittling House for lunch today. I had Monkfish/Prawn and Chilli linguini off the 3 course lunch menu, 1 x fish and chips which were fabulous apparently (it looked great) and 1 x burger wich was declared very tasty. The linguini was really tasty with just enough chilli so not to be too hot and loads of fish/prawns. It is a very different experience to the Potted Lobster as it is much bigger and a different type of menu.

It isn't right perhaps to compare a lunch service to an evening meal but it was definitely worth eating at the WL if you are in the area. If I had to choose between WL or PL it would be Potted Lobster for me - but it is unfair to try to judge them against each other.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 21, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hello Sparksy72 - just a quick update as I went to the Whittling House for lunch today. I had Monkfish/Prawn and Chilli linguini off the 3 course lunch menu, 1 x fish and chips which were fabulous apparently (it looked great) and 1 x burger wich was declared very tasty. The linguini was really tasty with just enough chilli so not to be too hot and loads of fish/prawns. It is a very different experience to the Potted Lobster as it is much bigger and a different type of menu.

It isn't right perhaps to compare a lunch service to an evening meal but it was definitely worth eating at the WL if you are in the area. If I had to choose between WL or PL it would be Potted Lobster for me - but it is unfair to try to judge them against each other.
Stanley, thank you so much for the update. Your lunch sounds amazing and is something that I would have ordered. I understand that that it is difficult to compare but I’m pleased you all had great food and a lovely time. I still dream about our meals from the Potted Lobster!
Old 12 Jan 22, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Sparksy72 - watching the Hairy Bikers Go North at Bamburgh tonight reminded me that I didn't update you about our stay - they stayed in the same apartment as us. We were "lucky" that we missed Storm Arwen as it passed through the NE just before our stay in Bamburgh Castle but we did catch Storm Barra. The morning the day Barra was due we went to Alnwick to visit Barter Books whilst it was relatively calm, had a good look around and a lovely lunch there too. Then we sensibly headed back - the Castke had to close to visitors and we were very happy to be inside our apartment. We watched as the wind increased and the sea was really rough and by the time it got dark the waves instead of rolling ashore were at 90 degree angles to the beach.

Storm Arwen had taken its toll in Bamburgh Village and the lovely area in the middle where you took Milo suffered badly. At least a dozen of the huge trees were blown over in the wind - thankfully no one was injured or any cars damaged. At the beginning or our stay it was in a heck of a mess but the local council did a magnificent job in making the area safe and eventually clearing the fallen trees. What they did do was use some of the wood to create new seats to place where the trees had been so there was still some of the original there. A nice touch.

The apartment was great fun and the beds were really comfortable - we were greeted with a lovely wicker basket filled with local produce and a bottle of fizzy. We were talking onthe first evening about ghosts and then all of a sudden these strange noises started - turns out the apartment had a window in an awkward place so you couldn't see out and it overlooked the cafe courtyard - hence the ghostly noises.

We made it back to the Potted Lobster and also to the Jolly Fisherman in Craster - lots of lovely fish meals. Plus some pies and meat from Carters the Butchers in the Village - the Copper Kettle wasn't open during the week sadly.

The kitchen

View from the Castle towards the apartment, Holy Island and Ross Back Sands (where the Hairy Bikers tried their oysters)

Sunrise (a chilly one - Cheviot out of shot had snow on)

Edited at 10:39 PM.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Sparksy72 - watching the Hairy Bikers Go North at Bamburgh tonight reminded me that I didn't update you about our stay - they stayed in the same apartment as us. We were "lucky" that we missed Storm Arwen as it passed through the NE just before our stay in Bamburgh Castle but we did catch Storm Barra. The morning the day Barra was due we went to Alnwick to visit Barter Books whilst it was relatively calm, had a good look around and a lovely lunch there too. Then we sensibly headed back - the Castke had to close to visitors and we were very happy to be inside our apartment. We watched as the wind increased and the sea was really rough and by the time it got dark the waves instead of rolling ashore were at 90 degree angles to the beach.

Storm Arwen had taken its toll in Bamburgh Village and the lovely area in the middle where you took Milo suffered badly. At least a dozen of the huge trees were blown over in the wind - thankfully no one was injured or any cars damaged. At the beginning or our stay it was in a heck of a mess but the local council did a magnificent job in making the area safe and eventually clearing the fallen trees. What they did do was use some of the wood to create new seats to place where the trees had been so there was still some of the original there. A nice touch.

The apartment was great fun and the beds were really comfortable - we were greeted with a lovely wicker basket filled with local produce and a bottle of fizzy. We were talking onthe first evening about ghosts and then all of a sudden these strange noises started - turns out the apartment had a window in an awkward place so you couldn't see out and it overlooked the cafe courtyard - hence the ghostly noises.

We made it back to the Potted Lobster and also to the Jolly Fisherman in Craster - lots of lovely fish meals. Plus some pies and meat from Carters the Butchers in the Village - the Copper Kettle wasn't open during the week sadly.
Stanley, it sounds like you had a total adventure! I’m so sorry to hear about the weather and the damage it caused but I’m so pleased that you stayed safe. I’m completely envious of you Potted Lobster mea, it truly is a total treat to go there! How lovely and kind of your hosts to leave you a basket full of treats too. 😁 a shame about the Copper Kettle but always a good reason to go back. Thank you so much for the update, we are making plans to re-visit again this year. It really is a beautiful place. Xx
Old 13 Jan 22, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

I read this thread last night and today booked three nights at Bamburgh. We are taking the grandchildren (and perhaps their dog) during summer holidays.

We had been looking to book something and forgot how nice Northumberland is. Thank you!

Edited at 06:34 PM.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 22, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
barryp1
Imagineer

We play a 3 day golf tournament, the 3 castles. The courses are Bamburgh, Dunstanburgh and Alnwick.

This is such a wonderful part of the country and should be a must visit for everyone.

The Potted Lobster is already booked for 6 of us in July.
barryp1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 22, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
I read this thread last night and today booked three nights at Bamburgh. We are taking the grandchildren (and perhaps their dog) during summer holidays.

We had been looking to book something and forgot how nice Northumberland is. Thank you!
Have an amazing time! 😁