Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Jul 21, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
nicbev
Apprentice Imagineer

Disneyland LA v Disney world

As our flights have been cancelled and son thinks Disneyworld will be manic next year, thinking about Disneyland instead, is this more manageable than Orlando? I know we don’t need as many days and will also do universal and others bits, looking at either Easter or summer hols 2022. Also got a virgin reward flight that could be used as one of the flights, and flights seem to be cheaper?
But that’s if the borders even open!
Any advice/help would be appreciated
nicbev is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 21, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I definitely found Disneyland more manageable than WDW. It's a lot smaller in size than WDW so a lot easier to run around the two parks and park hop. Also, there are so many hotels within easy walking distance of Disneyland - if you book one of these it's really easy to pop back to the room whenever you need to.

When I went back in 2018 there was MaxPass which was absolutely fantastic for reducing the amount of queuing we did, but not sure what the current status of that is with COVID-19 and all.

I will admit though that I found myself missing WDW a little bit during the Disneyland trip - WDW is a lot more immersive due to its sheer size, and Disneyland doesn't have anything quite the equivalent of Epcot or AK. Also, it is much more fun shopping in Disney Springs than in Downtown Disney simply because Disney Springs is so much larger with more shops and things to do!

On the flipside, though, Disneyland does have Disney California Adventure, which is a great park. And there are some great rides/lands there that don't have an equivalent in WDW (Carsland, Pixar Pier, the Grizzly rapids ride is much better than Kali River Rapids at AK, the new Avengers Campus with the GOTG retheme of Tower of Terror).

Universal Hollywood is really quite a distance from Disneyland - so we actually didn't do Universal Hollywood on that 2018 trip.
Old 10 Jul 21, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
kerrie1781
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We have done exactly this for next year. Thought that WDW would be rammed so we have booked 5 nights in Anaheim (Clarion Inn) and then 5 nights in Hollywood (Hilton Universal).
We are planning on 3 days at Disney and 1 day at Knotts Berry Farm.
Then onto Hollywood where we have planned Universal (apparently it’s completely doable in a day) - my daughter will be 18 so she has planned everywhere else. We would like to do a day trip to Six Flags if companies are offering this as I will not be driving over there.
We chose November as we thought we were only going to do California once and we were desperate to see The nightmare before Christmas overlay. We have booked through Ocean Florida but don’t think we have necessarily got a great deal!
kerrie1781 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 21, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

It really depends on whether you are into Disney, theme parks in general .. or more the USA experience as a whole. The West Coast is a totally different proposition to Orlando.

Disney is fine, if you like Disney. It is smaller and attracts a different type of clientele in that I am not sure that so many visit in order to ‘submerge’ themselves in the Disney experience. It is imho more of an attraction amongst many.

If in the area and particularly with a car, you have…

Warner Bros Studios near Burbank, with its Studio tour.
Universal Studios, an achievable walk from Warner Bros.. or the other way round.
Knotts Berry Farm.
The really good 6 Flags, Valencia (think Thorpe Park on steroids).
San Diego is a mere 90 miles from Annaheim with Seaworld, rather different to Orlando.
You pass Legoland on your way to San Diego.

In addition to all of those theme parks, you have..
Reagan Library in the Simi Valley (really, really interesting).
Hollywood, Rodeo Drive, Walk of Fame, Laurel Canyon, sign etc etc etc .
A night on RMS Queen Mary at Long Beach.
Your choice of all those legendary beaches in front of LA.
USS Iowa.

If you do a split with San Diego, you have..
Balboa Park.
Harbour tours.
Whale Watching
Coronado Beach.
The Border with Tijuana where it meets the sea.
USS Midway

In short, Disneyland would never make a vacation, 3 days at most. Having said that, the other attractions in the area are absolutely brilliant.

A view of the California N to South trippie in my Signature May give you a decent flavour and all in a single thread. My Pre Trip for this August May help further as there is plenty of research.
There are plenty of other Trippies to consider.. ‘A suitcase and a dream’ is one of my favourites.

Hope it helps.

P.S , Megaflyer is always good for advice in this area.. encyclopaedic advice!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 21, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Thank you for your kind words cornishfrogboy

DIsneyland is different to Disneyworld and as CFG eloquently said they do attract a different clientele. It is a much smaller place and has a Earl charm about it - people dont tend to rush to rides and it’s more of a relaxed gentle amble. EG Sunday mornings are usually the quietest times as many locals (which is manly at tracks) are either at church or Sunday sports. As it really was Walts dream it has that feel about it. It is my favourite Disney park buy a mile but I can do what I want to do there in a day or 2 (at a push).

Universal also is a wonderful park - again it is a real movie studio rather than a made for $ one in Orlando which Orlando eliminates. You know you are in the hinge of movies, Hollywood, and that feel, even when on the rides, gives it a certain piquant that cant be reproduced elsewhere.

Please also visit the other studios. Each one is different and although not themed like Universal certainly put on a good show and are fun.

Easter is not a huge holiday in US for sure - many LA residents leave to go to places like Vegas, Palm Springs etc so traditionally it is quieter period.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 21, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
nicbev
Apprentice Imagineer

Thank you all for your comments, will look into planning and hopefully the borders will open by next year
nicbev is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List