Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Jul 21, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
We've been to both.
San Francisco is expensive, a 'cheapo' motel on Lombard Street was about £150 a night, and that was 4 years ago. I agree seeing Golden Gate Bridge is great, and Alcatraz is excellent (we've done tours in the day and night), but we really loved San Diego. We had 6 nights there and visited USS Midway, went on a biplane flight over the coast, visited both San Diego Zoo and Safari Park and went to SeaWorld.
We stayed out of the main town, in the Yacht Harbour area (near Shelter Island) and Ubered into town for about $10 when we wanted to go to shops etc.
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 21, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Bella Girl
slightly serious Dibber

Bella Girl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We loved both San Fran and San Diego. If you have been to San Fran before then I would head to San Diego.

As others have said it is a lovely city. We managed to get tickets for Comicon - one of the more surreal experiences I have had ! My kids loved it. Aside from Comicon, there is lots to see and do in San Diego.

Having said all that, Yosemite is amazing and the drive along the PCH is ‘a must do’ experience. The scenery is stunning and varied.
Bella Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 21, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

If you do decide on San Diego then please don’t be tempted to cross the border into Tijuana. We were warned not to go but we thought we knew better. We got off the trolley bus in a Tijuana and walked along the Main Street for a bit - tuned back and got on the same trolley bus that took us there as it hadn’t left yet. We must have been around two hours at the checkpoint to get back into USA - I was panicking they wouldn’t let us back in. I just didn’t feel safe at all.

Edited at 09:56 PM.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 21, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
If you do decide on San Diego then please don’t be tempted to cross the border into Tijuana. We were warned not to go but we thought we knew better. We got off the trolley bus in a Tijuana and walked along the Main Street for a bit - tuned back and got on the same trolley bus that took us there as it hadn’t left yet. We must have been around two hours at the checkpoint to get back into USA - I was panicking they wouldn’t let us back in. I just didn’t feel safe at all.
We walked down to the sea shore border between the USA and Mexico. It could be fairly said that the Mexican side of the border looked a total and utter toilet. I believe you will also find it has a very high Murder rate.

We simply carried on walking along the beach after putting our hands through the fence (I have now been to Mexico).

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 21, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Not gonna lie- I am loving all the love for San Diego that I’m reading on this thread 👏🏻👍🏻😁

Hello to the OP (loves disney) 👋🏻 I am the person who wrote the sticky thread about San Diego on this forum. I probably need to get in the thread and do some editing as some things may have changed since the pandemic (closed restaurants etc), but most things should still remain the same as to what there is to see and do. I’m always happy to answer questions, so let me know anytime on the sticky thread or by private message if I can help with some advice or suggestions. I’m very glad you are considering coming to San Diego for a visit! 😊

Thank you for sharing this Pumpkin Pie 👍🏻 I am always telling visitors it isn’t a good idea to go into Tijuana, maybe your personal experience will help make that point.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 21, 05:13 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I went for a day too - I did walk around and had lunch at The Hard Rock Cafe as the only place I felt would be OK. It was an experience and the offers I got to go into “bars” to see “acts” made Thailand seem tame ! The re-entry back into USA was a little fraught. I have done it - had my passport stamped and feel absolutely zero need to go back to Mexico again
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 21, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I went for a day too - I did walk around and had lunch at The Hard Rock Cafe as the only place I felt would be OK. It was an experience and the offers I got to go into “bars” to see “acts” made Thailand seem tame ! The re-entry back into USA was a little fraught. I have done it - had my passport stamped and feel absolutely zero need to go back to Mexico again
The only offers I remember getting were for us to pay to get our photo taken with donkeys painted to look like zebras.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 21, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

The only offers I remember getting were for us to pay to get our photo taken with donkeys painted to look like zebras.
A donkey did feature in one of my “offers” I seem to recall but not painted as a zebra (well I dont think so)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 21, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

We stayed in San Diego in 2019 (our last holiday ) and loved it.

We were there for 5 days but could have stayed longer. We even managed to get to a baseball game , but there was still a lot we would have liked to do.

We used Aims planning thread to plan out our days which gave us great info.

Our next California trip (maybe 2023? ) we're planning to go to San Francisco but only for a couple of days and then only because we want to get to Yosemite.

I posted a belated trip report recently outlining our days at Universal Studios, Palm Springs, San Diego and Disneyland.

Southern California 2019 Trip Report
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 21, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

My first visit to SF we did the tourist areas and I wasn't impressed tbh. Then the last time we didn't go near the tourist areas and we both fell in love with the city and with the surrounding areas - Napa Valley, the drive up the coast to Bodega Bay, Sausilito and the natural beauty of Marin County- Point Reyes, Muir Woods, etc It is true that there is a homeless problem there and that big tech has done to the city what it did to many other - drove out the artists and the working class - but there is still a lot of heart in the city and wonderful people and many beautiful spots. Try taking a tour with a local. On day 1 we did a tour in an old WV van with a guide who had been born and raised in the city and it was a fantastic experience. He even took us to a wonderful community garden run by a homeless charity in the Tenderlion and we saw some beauty in the squalor and met some fantastic people.

That being said people are absolutely right to lavish praise on SD. Beautiful city, great weather, great beaches, the park is amazing, great food and lovely people. We also found the hotels were reasonable priced and it's reachable by train from LA/Anaheim which we also recommend. Lovely ride that hugs thebeach towns much of the way.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List