Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 1 Aug 21, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Dollymixture
Excited about Disney

Day 17: Amazing experience at the Scottish Crannog Centre, The Kelpies and Falkirk wheel

We had had the best day today! It’s been a long one as we left Inverness at 8.30am and didn’t arrive in Edinburgh until the evening, but it has been brilliant!

We grabbed a McDonald’s breakfast to go in Inverness this morning and then headed to our first stop - the Scottish a Crannog Centre in Kenmore on Loch Tay. It was a couple of hours drive, but a very enjoyable one through the Cairngorms national park, driving along some gorgeous Lochs. The weather got better and better the further south we went.
We arrived at The Scottish Crannog centre 15 minutes before our entry time, which was perfect, and managed to park in the marina car park right next to it.
The scenery here is stunning, we walked down to the Loch shore and admired the views.

The Crannog here was sadly burned down a few weeks ago, but we had read about it in another trip report about how much there is still to do there, and we wanted to support them. Tickets cost £5 each, so £30 for all of us, which was well worth it.

At 11.30am we were met out the front by a lovely lady who took us through the museum and outside to talk about the Crannog and the Iron Age period in Scotland.
She was so enthusiastic about it and we all really enjoyed listening and learning about it.
It would have been amazing to be able to go in the Crannog, but we still got the feel of it from what was left and photos.
After this we were free to explore outside, where there were many talented wood workers, crafts people, bakers and cooks - all totally passionate about what they do, and really interactive with us all. We were all encouraged to have a go at using tools and trying thing and it was just utterly brilliant! The kids were so engaged - they could have stayed all day!

They all had a chance to make clay pinch pots and decorate them, and to taste freshly baked Iron Age style bread. It was absolutely delicious!

There were also a very animated storyteller and a talented singer who played the lyre, both fabulous

I had to practically drag the kids away when it was time to move on! I honestly can’t say enough good things about this place, every staff member was so friendly and clearly they all love what they do! It is well worth a visit even without the crannog.

They have secured a new site across the lake that is much bigger - and they plan to build three new crannogs, and an Iron Age village - so we will definitely be back to see that.

We got back in the car to continue our journey - the next stop was to see the Kelpies.
We were really low on fuel so had a bit of a hair raising time while our mileage range went down to single figures and there were no fuel stations anywhere near! We managed to get to Callender with a range of 6 miles left - phew!

We arrived at the Kelpies around 3.30pm and it was very busy. Car parking was £4 and it was hard to find a spot. The weather was absolutely glorious- really warm and sunny!
After parking up, we took the short walk to the Kelpies and were blown away with how huge they are. They’re pretty impressive!

We just managed to get into the cafe before they closed and bought some sandwiches, which were lovely.
We also picked up some cakes from one of the food vans - really delicious.
Lila liked the little ‘baby’ Kelpies - a miniature version of the big thing.

We decided to jump back in the car and pop to see the Falkirk wheel while we were in the area and because the weather was so good. Thought about walking along the canal to it but time was getting on and we still had to get to Edinburgh.

We parked up and walked over the canal bridge to see the wheel. It’s huge and Lila decided it looked like a big fidget spinner 😂
We were too late to see it working unfortunately, but it was still awesome to have a look at.
There are a few things to do on the site - with a nice play park, a boating lake (which kids were using as a paddling pool), and a few other paid for attractions.
We enjoyed the sunshine for a bit while and Lila had a paddle.

We had another hour to go to get to Edinburgh - but the journey was smooth with little traffic.
Parking in Edinburgh was hard, the Travelodge car park was full, but eventually we found somewhere that wasn’t too far.
From what I’ve seen of Edinburgh so far - it looks amazing. I can’t wait to explore tomorrow.

We ordered fish and chips to be delivered to the hotel from ‘Berties Proper fish and chip shop’ - expensive but so worth it, they were so good!

Tomorrow we are going to visit the Castle and the museum
Dollymixture is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 21, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Mental Minnie
VIP Dibber

I have never heard of this. What an experience, i am sure to see it all up close. An amazing sight.What a wonderful day. Thanks for sharing.
Old 2 Aug 21, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Ahh I’m glad you loved the Crannog centre. It was only me and the dog, no kids but I absolutely loved it, and glad you all had a good trip
Old 2 Aug 21, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

The Kelpies are great. We are going there later this week with grandchildren. They like the large play park nearby.

You are having nice weather in Edinburgh today!
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 21, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishnellie
VIP Dibber

scottishnellie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Mobile

I’ve always fancied the crannog centre and was so sad to hear of that fire a few weeks back.

We love the kelpies. They’re just stunning and they are often lit in various colours at night. Just stunning. Been on the Falkirk wheel many a time - it’s just so clever how it all works 😄

Helen xx

Here's a link to all my previous trip reports since 2015
trip report list by year
scottishnellie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 21, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiggers Pal
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
The Kelpies are great. We are going there later this week with grandchildren. They like the large play park nearby.

You are having nice weather in Edinburgh today!
If the car park at the Kelpies is full or you would rather not pay for parking you can park at the nearby Falkirk Stadium car park free of charge unless it is match day for Falkirk FC. They are playing at home this coming Saturday but you’ll be fine if it’s a weekday this week. There is a crossing and footpath from the stadium car park to the Helix/Kelpies.
Tiggers Pal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 21, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiggers Pal
slightly serious Dibber

OP looks like you all had a great day. Pity you didn’t get to see the Falkirk Wheel in motion, as Scottish Nellie says it is a fascinating piece of machinery.
Tiggers Pal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 21, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Thanks - good tip. We will be going during the week so will try this out.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 21, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

What a brilliant day and the weather is being so kind to you

I've been on The Falkirk Wheel it's great but not been to see The Kelpies yet, on my list

Enjoy Edinburgh it's my favourite UK city I love it there so much
Old 2 Aug 21, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Sounds like a brilliant day. The Kelpies look very impressive.
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List