Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 2 Aug 21, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Dollymixture
Excited about Disney

Day 18: Fallen in love with Edinburgh!

This is a day I’ve been particularly looking forward to. I’ve never been to Scotland before and I’ve always wanted to visit Edinburgh - and it didn’t disappoint today!

It has been a lovely warm sunny day - perfect temperature to explore the city.

What a city it is! There are the most beautiful views in every direction and a lovely vibe.

After breakfast, we walked to the National Museum of Scotland - about a ten minute walk from our Travelodge on St Mary’s street.
There is just so much to see with every corner you turn - the buildings and architecture are beautiful.

We had booked a time slot for entry a few weeks ago, so were able to walk straight into the museum and scan our tickets. You could tell the capacity had been limited, it was nice and quiet and easy to social distance.

This museum is amazing - we all loved it! I think I prefer it to the National History museum in London - it is laid out so well.

We had a look around the ground floor and then went upstairs to see the animal section. I really wanted to see Dolly the sheep (first cloned animal!)

The animal/living section was our favourite. The kids were fascinated and we spent a long time looking around here and then a quicker look at the space area and upstairs. I think you really need a full day to enjoy everything, but we had tickets to Edinburgh Castle in the afternoon, so had to be mindful of the time. There are lots of interactive bits, some of them were available but most were closed due to Covid. Still plenty to keep kids occupied. Lila particularly enjoyed the big screen video in the space section.

Our time slot for the castle was approaching, so we left the museum. There was a bagpipe player outside and the kids wanted to watch for a while, so we sat on the steps. I was shocked that Amber had never heard of bagpipes before!

We put some money in his pot and then walked to the castle - the maps app said a 6 minute walk, but it took us much longer! I think we may have taken a long way round and we had to climb a lot of steps. We were late for our time slot but no one said anything and we got in easily with no queues. The views all around the castle are spectacular and well worth the steps!

We walked around the grounds of the castle - there is a one way system in place, and it was busy but didn’t feel too crowded.

We had a look in the war museum - not my cup of tea, but the boys found it interesting.
It’s quite big and there is lots to see.

We also had a look in the state room, but there was a big queue for the Crown Jewels and the kids didn’t want to see them that badly, so we skipped that part.

We left the castle and walked down the Royal Mile, having a look in some of the shops. There are some interesting ones but a lot of touristy ones too that all sell the same stuff.

In the evening, Lila and I took the dogs for a walk to Holyrood Park. It was such a beautiful sunny evening, we walked much further than we planned, although didn’t make it up to Arthur’s seat!

It really does seem like Edinburgh has everything - it’s an amazing city and obviously you need much longer than a day to see it all, but we will be back for sure! We have just been so lucky with the weather, it definitely helps you to appreciate the beauty around you!

Tomorrow we are going to Bamburgh Castle and then on to Durham, hopefully with a quick stop to see the Angel of the North.

Edited at 11:21 PM.
Dollymixture is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 21, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Edinburgh is a beautiful city. I guess now is a good time to visit with lower than normal visitors. I have it on my back up list for October half term.

Hope you continue to have nice weather. Bamburgh Castle and beach are also beautiful.
mrsdjh is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 21, 07:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

You definitely walked the wrong way up to the Castle! Did you see Greyfriars Bobby and visit the grave? Visitors lay sticks for the dog by the graveside. It’s at the end of Chambers Street (where museum is).

Glad you like my home town.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 21, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Best City in the UK bar none.

Disney332
Old 3 Aug 21, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Donz1979
Imagineer

Mobile

We also love Edinburgh, visit every year for our wedding anniversary 🥰
Donz1979 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 21, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Our son has worked in Edinburgh for the last 5 years. We love visiting (when we can!) and always find something new. You had a lovely day

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 21, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

This is what I call bagpiping

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
rach19
Imagineer

rach19's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Thanks for sharing. We go on holiday to Scotland soon and are hoping to visit Edinburgh castle.
Cabana bay, gulf coast and Miami Aug 2018
All Star Music and Dolphin split stay Aug/Sept 2022
rach19 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Mental Minnie
VIP Dibber

What a glorious day you got for visiting Edinburgh and you seem to have managed a lot in one day. Great photos again.
Old 5 Aug 21, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

My favourite UK city ever I love Edinburgh