Notices
Tickets Theme Park Ticket questions and advice

Old 16 Aug 21, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
millienoahleo
Excited about Disney

Master plan

So as not to hijack anyone else’s threads I’ll post my plan on here and welcome any advice or comments as to whether it looks like one A team would be proud of.
I have trips booked December 21 and august 22

I have 5 Disney 14day ultimates purchased for December trip, I’m planning to upgrade these to annual passes on day 1, ( should I get all the same or do I only need 1 from the top shelf and the rest from the bottom)
These will cover me for august trip last 2 weeks aug 22. My park tickets cost me £2250, I’m not sure how much upgrading to APs will be I can’t find any prices online.

I am planning on buying 5x 3 park, park to park tickets for universal for December, online these are £1375 attraction tickets .com.
due to block out dates on all but the top ticket I’ll wait until checking out date dec 31st to upgrade. These should cost $2350 (universal ticket website) which with exchange about 1.30 is about £1800, plus taxes- less what I’ve already paid in theory my all access universal tickets next year will cost me about an extra £600.
And save me with discounts on food and my hotel booking.

Please feel free to pull this apart and highlight mistakes
Tia

Edited at 09:39 PM.
millienoahleo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 21, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by millienoahleo View Post
I’m planning to upgrade these to annual passes on day 1, ( should I get all the same or do I only need 1 from the top shelf and the rest from the bottom)
Unless you're a DVC member you only have one option if similar passes are offered when they are relaunched.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 21, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Also are you staying onsite for the full duration of your trip, or at least all of your Disney days? Converting to an AP if staying offsite will lose a lot of your park reservations. You can only hold 3 at a time on an AP, unless you are staying onsite.

As Dr J mentioned, you can only purchase the highest tier of AP as an international guest. They were $1270 each when last sold, $1380 for the one with waterparks. So they are more expensive than 2 UK tickets, unless you're spending a considerable amount on AP discount items. Which TBF, with a family of 5 paying OOP for dining is probably going to happen. But you'd only need one AP to access this, rather than upgrading all of them.

The reservation system is the biggest issue though, especially since it sounds like you'll be there around Christmas week which is already booked out most days for MK/HS.

Edited at 10:19 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 21, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
millienoahleo
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
Also are you staying onsite for the full duration of your first trip? As converting to a Disney AP while staying offsite will lose your park reservations. You can only hold 3 at a time on an AP, unless you are staying onsite.

As Dr J mentioned, you can only purchase the highest tier of AP as an international guest. They were $1270 each when last sold, $1380 for the one with waterparks. So they are more expensive than 2 UK tickets, unless you're spending a considerable amount on AP discount items. Which with a family on OOP dining, is probably going to happen. But you'd only need one AP to access this, rather than upgrading all 5.

The reservation system is the biggest issue though, especially since it sounds like you'll be there Christmas week.
I’m staying at dolphin in December son not sure if that counts as on-site for park passes.
So the Disney AP works out about £1000ish with the exchange rate, ultimate 14 days are £430 this year, £470 next year.
So I need to get £100 worth of benefits and discounts each over the 2 trips for it to work?
If I only get 20% disc on food I think I’m on the winning side maybe?
so maybe be better just upgrade 1 to an AP! Buy 4 more ultimates for next trip?

Edited at 10:28 PM.
millienoahleo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 21, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I’m staying at dolphin in December son not sure if that counts as on-site for park passes.
So the Disney AP works out about £1000ish with the exchange rate, ultimate 14 days are £430 this year, £470 next year.
So I need to get £100 worth of benefits and discounts each over the 2 trips for it to work?
If I only get 20% disc on food I think I’m on the winning side maybe?
Dolphin counts as onsite for reservations so you'll be fine.

I think you'd end up ahead assuming the AP prices stay much the same once released, but I'd still only convert the one ticket (maybe two if there's a + guest limit - I'm not sure on that) to access the discounts as there's not too many other benefits in doing so.

ETA: Almost all dining is only a 10% discount btw, and not all venues have AP discount. The 20% is only on select items - mostly merch.

Edited at 10:32 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 21, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
millienoahleo
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
Dolphin counts as onsite for reservations so you'll be fine.

I think you'd end up ahead assuming the AP prices stay much the same once released, but I'd still only convert the one ticket (maybe two if there's a + guest limit - I'm not sure on that) to access the discounts as there's not too many other benefits in doing so.

ETA: Almost all dining is only a 10% discount btw, and not all venues have AP discount. The 20% is only on select items - mostly merch.
Yes I’ve just been reading up on the Disney site ,10% at nearly all dining. Most have max +3 additional guests
I think it would only be an option really if the tables in wonderland is available, this one seems to be the big discount card and is up to 10 diners.
Over the 2 trips combined I’ll be there 20 days, I’ve to make a saving of over £100 for each person upgrading for it to pay, let’s say 2 upgrades is £200 in savings that’s a minimum of £10 per day in discount savings at 10% that’s £100 spent on food a day, (the wife will spend that just on breaky)
I’m pretty sure paying oop we will easily spend that and abit more while on site.
If not I might have to book an extra trip to make it pay!

Edited at 11:45 PM.
Old 17 Aug 21, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I have 5 Disney 14day ultimates purchased for December trip, I’m planning to upgrade these to annual passes on day 1, ( should I get all the same or do I only need 1 from the top shelf and the rest from the bottom)
These will cover me for august trip last 2 weeks aug 22. My park tickets cost me £2250, I’m not sure how much upgrading to APs will be I can’t find any prices online.
The Platinum Plus annual passes used to cost around $1300 each. Which is approx £950.

The 14-day Ultimate ticket for this December costs around £460.

So, roughly, it'll cost around £490 ($680) per person to upgrade. Around £2450 to upgrade all 5 tickets (i.e. more than the cost of the original tickets).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 10:12 AM.
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List