Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 23 Aug 21, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Gilly120
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lola View Post
We’ve done various road trips including;

New England, Cape Cod and Woodstock/Bethel Woods
Washington and the Outer Banks
North and South Carolina, Hilton Head
Nashville, Memphis and the Blues trail
New Orleans and the Panhandle
California San Fran/ LA and San Diego
Vegas and Yosemite
New York and Boston
Miami and the Keys
Of course WDW and the east and west coast of Florida
Plus Toronto, across Canada and cruise Alaska

A lot of places but these are just the North America ones, happy to share our thoughts but badly missing our travels
Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice (sorry to jump on Cornishfrogs post). My son and girlfriend are going to Florida Sept/Oct 2022, honeymoon, majority of time will be in Orlando, they are going up to clearwater for 3 days. They would also like to travel to another part of USA for 3, 4 or 5 days. Which of your trips did you like the best. They dont mind flying, driving or the train. Thank you
Old 23 Aug 21, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
As you know I had a similar trip planned a couple of weeks behind you. Current challenge is to use the credit for PE from London transferred so we can use it for Dublin Atlanta and Vegas to Dublin in business next May as its only £200 pp more ! AA are claiming I’m only entitled to credit and it must depart from the U.K. but as it was the BA codeshare cancelled by BA I’m actually entitled to a full refund not credit so I’ve given them the choice, open up the credit or refund me (there’s actually a slightly cheaper option with United) .
Worst scenario I’ll book it with BA for deposit only and take iAA to small claims or claim via the CC.
A refund makes sense to me as you cannot take a flight that BA have cancelled and therefore they have failed to deliver what you have paid for.

I look forward to seeing your next plan. Atlanta to Vegas is not one that I have researched, although it will clearly have some in common with my own, very recent cancellation!
Do you get to be ‘Standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona’?

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 21, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Orlandobelle View Post
I've now cancelled (twice) a chicago to new york trip.

Plan was
Fly to Chicago for 3 nights
Amtrak Wolverine to Detroit
5 nights with my brother in Lake Orion
Internal flight to New York
3 nights in New York before flying home
We have looked at the Chicago- AMTRAC - Detroit bit as we want to walk the old elevated railway and also see the science museum in Chicago as well as see Henry Fords village at Dearborn and also Hitsville USA. ( I am a big Motown fan).
The difference is that we were going to tie it in with a flight to Boston and a drive through all of the smaller states to the North of Boston… But the whole thing the other way round.

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 21, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by disneywiseowl View Post
I love your posts. They’re always so interesting. Lots of great suggestions from other posters too.
You might fancy Pioneertown if it fits your itinerary. We went a few years ago, when they used to do a little show. We drove from Anaheim to Palm Springs (hotel for 2 nights). Aerial Tramway etc. Then drove via the Joshua Tree park ( I just wanted to see one - thanks to U2) to San Diego but I think it’s sort of enroute to Tucson.
I will have a look at Pioneer town, trouble is that at the moment, Mandie and I have already drawn up our 2922 October itinerary and are happy with it. It is also a tight schedule.
Fly to SFO
drive to Monterey, Big Sur etc down to Madonna Inn.
Fly from San Luis Obispo to San Diego.
Fly to Vegas.
Drive to Hoover Dam, Canyon South Rim, then down through Winslow to Tucson.
Visit the Desert Boneyard, Tombstone etc and then fly home from Tucson.

We are just waiting for flight release before finalising.

Old 23 Aug 21, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
We have looked at the Chicago- AMTRAC - Detroit bit as we want to walk the old elevated railway and also see the science museum in Chicago as well as see Henry Fords village at Dearborn and also Hitsville USA. ( I am a big Motown fan).
The difference is that we were going to tie it in with a flight to Boston and a drive through all of the smaller states to the North of Boston… But the whole thing the other way round.
Oh lovely, are you going up to Maine, I love Acadia, Bar Harbor and Boothbay Harbor. I love the little lobster pounds for lobster and sweetcorn yum
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 21, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Gilly120 View Post
Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice (sorry to jump on Cornishfrogs post). My son and girlfriend are going to Florida Sept/Oct 2022, honeymoon, majority of time will be in Orlando, they are going up to clearwater for 3 days. They would also like to travel to another part of USA for 3, 4 or 5 days. Which of your trips did you like the best. They dont mind flying, driving or the train. Thank you
Questions and discussions are a major purpose of the thread!

Clearwater is obviously above Tampa. To drive on (I have done the route) to Destin and or Pensacola is 400miles plus.. of boredom!

From Tampa or Orlando, you can fly pretty much anywhere you like.. and sub £100pp one way.

Depending on their interests, I would look to…
Boston (Beautiful, very historic on the freedom trail, Great sunset harbour cruises, Whale watching as well). There is a link to Boston in my signature.

A flight back from Boston to LHR is around 7 hours, the airport is very close to town and they will at no time need a car in order to fill 3/4 days.

Hope that helps!
Old 23 Aug 21, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Oh lovely, are you going up to Maine, I love Acadia, Bar Harbor and Boothbay Harbor. I love the little lobster pounds for lobster and sweetcorn yum
I will be picking your brains at a later date!

Yes, Maine and the others.

Next year is fully planned (Toronto and Florida with the kids at Easter, then West Coast plus inland with just the two of us in October.

2023 will in probability be Hawaii and a west coast city both on the way out and also on the way back.

New England will be either the fall of 2023 or (Budget Constraints), 2024.

Old 23 Aug 21, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Questions and discussions are a major purpose of the thread!

Clearwater is obviously above Tampa. To drive on (I have done the route) to Destin and or Pensacola is 400miles plus.. of boredom!

From Tampa or Orlando, you can fly pretty much anywhere you like.. and sub £100pp one way.

Depending on their interests, I would look to…
Boston (Beautiful, very historic on the freedom trail, Great sunset harbour cruises, Whale watching as well). There is a link to Boston in my signature.

A flight back from Boston to LHR is around 7 hours, the airport is very close to town and they will at no time need a car in order to fill 3/4 days.

Hope that helps!
I agree but I'm biased I used to live in Central Boston. Good shopping, interesting things to do. I love the harbour cruises plus the trips out to the little harbour islands for brunch and Sunday jazz.

We once did a seguay tour all round Boston, that was fun. Great trolley rides, good bands and concerts in lots of venues.

Catch the blue line underground straight to the airport. Great vibe.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 21, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
I agree but I'm biased I used to live in Central Boston. Good shopping, interesting things to do. I love the harbour cruises plus the trips out to the little harbour islands for brunch and Sunday jazz.

We once did a seguay tour all round Boston, that was fun. Great trolley rides, good bands and concerts in lots of venues.

Catch the blue line underground straight to the airport. Great vibe.
I think that maybe we both would agree that it would make a spectacular, low stress, romantic end to a honeymoon .. and shorten the final journey home. Nobody seems in a rush, when in Central, historic Boston. It’s just classy. I never did get to the ‘Cheers bar’ or to ride the Swan Pedalo’s, though.

My other suggestion would have been San Francisco, if they had never been.. very different, but lots of bucket list stuff..
Cycling the GG
Alcatraz
Cable cars
Haight Ashbury
GG Park
The ‘love tour’
Etc.
It probably wouldn’t cost any more as a whole, but more flight time.

Edited at 11:50 AM.
Old 23 Aug 21, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gilly120 View Post
They could drive to Savannah for a couple of nights and then onto Charleston. Loads to see and do.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List