Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Sep 21, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmandi
Excited about Disney

Emmandi's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 27
Be careful what you wish for

Having looked through a lot of Genie+ material, it seems Disney is really hammering the “flexibility” note.

Disney seem to think people weren’t happy with Fastpass+ and the way people were booking so far in advance and were complaining about the lack of spontaneity available.

Maybe the griping about everything being planned out in advance made them change the game as with Genie+ it’s one and then one etc no prebooking.

I’m aware that doesn’t mean they had to charge for it, but they’ve lost revenue for so long it’s kinda understandable and is still cheaper than ExpressPass at universal.
Emmandi is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 21, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Emmandi View Post
I’m aware that doesn’t mean they had to charge for it, but they’ve lost revenue for so long it’s kinda understandable and is still cheaper than ExpressPass at universal.
LOL the parks division is expected to make $8 billion this year.
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 21, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
LOL the parks division is expected to make $8 billion this year.
And the lost revenue last year was about 3b. Chapek won't be happy, he wants ALL the money.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 21, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmandi
Excited about Disney

Emmandi's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 27
You do realise that 3bn dollars is a LOT to lose? People don’t instinctively have a handle in the difference between millions and billions. 1 Million seconds for example is about 12 days. 1 billion seconds is over 30 years. Even making 8bn this year probably wouldn’t backfill the gaps from last.
Emmandi is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 21, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Rawhide
Very Serious Dibber

Ignoring the charging for something that used to be free aspect (difficult, I know), it’s clear that there is a shift away from the 60 days out planned aspects of holidays - personally I think it’s a change in the target market/audience from the entrenched regulars (uhhh, you know, like many of the members here), and a move towards new visitors, and those who may be more spontaneous in their decisions, including to visit WDW.

Now this may be coincidentally tied in with Covid, but I think they’ve identified either a new revenue stream from these visitors so they are reaching out with a “consider WDW for your holiday” approach , or that they were the most affected by the pandemic, as they have, and continue to stay away. So this is specifically designed to appeal to a more spontaneous approach.

It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out, and what (if any) changes they make as it matures.

Edited at 08:27 AM.
Rawhide is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 21, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Having looked through a lot of Genie+ material, it seems Disney is really hammering the “flexibility” note.

Disney seem to think people weren’t happy with Fastpass+ and the way people were booking so far in advance and were complaining about the lack of spontaneity available.

Maybe the griping about everything being planned out in advance made them change the game as with Genie+ it’s one and then one etc no prebooking.

I would love to see data on missed FPs…..

Disney332
Old 4 Sep 21, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

The booking at 60days out which used to happen, was this accessible by all countries when booking? I know it was a big thing here which I could never take advantage of as I haven’t stayed on site.
As previous poster suggests, maybe it’s a move away from this and making it easier for those in US who visit for a day or so rather than a fortnight to book fastpasses.

Could we because of Covid, they have relied upon home visitors and adjusted their plans accordingly. This plus the opportunity to make more money which invariably Genie + does, they are a Business at the end of the day.
They also probably are aware that even though we would not be happy with Genie +, that we will still pay up 💰
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 21, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Yes, it was available to all onsite guests.

The original paper FP system advantaged early risers (hello Brits adjusting to the time difference!) but otherwise was open to all on the day. Disadvantages were the power-walk over to Toy Story Mania or the fact that you had to criss-cross the parks to get your favourites. And that if you turned up late, FPs might all be gone.

Then came FP+ which gave onsite guests a huge advantage when it came to booking the big headliners.

Disadvantages were that at least part of your holiday was ‘set in stone’ if you wanted to be sure of riding the really popular rides. And that there was little room for spontaneity, at least for a few rides (not for everything, we changed our FP+ on a whim many times while there).

Advantages were that you knew before you got on the plane that (barring breakdowns) you would definitely get to ride your favourite.

The big disadvantage was that if a guest turned up out of the blue knowing nothing, they could expect to wait in the hot sun for over an hour because they didn’t know they should have booked this ride months ago.

The advantage of Genie+ I guess is that you can decide on the day whether you want it. The disadvantage is that you’re paying to skip the queue, which is new to WDW.

Once the system beds down, expect to see a host of YouTube videos showing you the best way to do the parks without paying for Genie+.
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 21, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

It is cheaper than an Express pass but the product is not comparable. The express pass at Universal allows you to enter express lines at will and pretty much guarantees you able to do every single ride in the park in a day. The genie+ offers no such thing, you can’t just go through a lightening pass line, you still have to search for availability and might only get a few lightening pass rides in a day.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 21, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
For an organisation that has lost Millions they sure are spending like mad at the moment.

Anyhow my heart bleeds for them and their lost money. Not!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List