Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Sep 21, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile Shaded area of garden - ideas needed

The way our garden faces we get sun most of the day on one side of the garden, non on the other. So one side is bright and colourful with plants and flowers and one side is a concrete jungle (flagged path to the shed). On our patio immediately as you step outside we have a patio set in the centre and pots on the sun side. The side in the shade looks bare, its just a blank space of about 6ft x 8ft.
Literally nothing grows on that side plus next door have a tall tree which shades the area even more so.
I am thinking of a large chiminea but will that look sad plonked there all alone?
We have another seating area at the bottom of the garden so I don’t want another seat 🤣
Do you have a shaded area? If so what do you have there?
My husband has put down the new patio this weekend so I want it to look all nice. Excuse the mess, He only finished late last night lol
You can see from these pictures where it is shaded by the fence and tree (all day)
Shaded side

Sunny side (I have not replaced the pots yet) it’s usually bursting with colour

Later in the day (taken yesterday when my husband was still working on it)
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 21, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Ferns ,astilbies and hostas do well in shade , boxwood maybe for some evergreen colour. In summer impatiens should be ok there plus maybe fuchsias and campanulas. Some of the plants I mentioned are like magnets for slugs and snails though.
Old 6 Sep 21, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by JLH View Post
Ferns ,astilbies and hostas do well in shade , boxwood maybe for some evergreen colour. In summer impatiens should be ok there plus maybe fuchsias and campanulas. Some of the plants I mentioned are like magnets for slugs and snails though.
I have noticed some slugs lately, eating my new plants 😤😤
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 21, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

How about a large ornament or water feature? You could get something colourful or metallic to bounce light/colour around.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 21, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Mirrors? Coloured plant pots? Bunting? Paint a pallet a bright colour and plant some acid green plants?

This area gets no sunshine and is very dry. My son made this last summer!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 21, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Originally Posted by caj View Post
Mirrors? Coloured plant pots? Bunting? Paint a pallet a bright colour and plant some acid green plants?

This area gets no sunshine and is very dry. My son made this last summer!
That’s a good idea or maybe a plant ladder to put against the fence , you wouldn’t have to fill it with plants any decorative pots or ornaments would look nice . You could hang lights on them too.I got a nice plant stand from dunelm in summer but not sure now summer is nearly gone 😢 if they will still have them in stock . Lots of other places do them .
JLH is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 21, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
I have noticed some slugs lately, eating my new plants 😤😤
I get so many 😡 I came out the other night when it was dark looking for my cat , I put the torch on my shed and it was like a slug Grand Prix on there ! Had to call my son out to remove them all 😀
Old 6 Sep 21, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

Lots of beautiful plants love the shade! Hydrangeas do really well and are hardy. Ferns, hosts, hellebore x
Old 6 Sep 21, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Emmie2016 View Post
Lots of beautiful plants love the shade! Hydrangeas do really well and are hardy. Ferns, hosts, hellebore x
I have actually got a couple of hydrangeas in pots, I didn’t realise they like the shade. This is solid shade which gets no sun at all. Would that be ok?
Old 6 Sep 21, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
I have actually got a couple of hydrangeas in pots, I didn’t realise they like the shade. This is solid shade which gets no sun at all. Would that be ok?
Mine does great in permanent shade 🙂

I have a camelia aswell who loves the shade 🙂