Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Brittania Staycation Sep21, Pre trip and Pre travel

Pre-trip

Cast - Me myself and I. Mitch, 37, loves dogs, horses, wine, reading, walking and good food.

I’m also a big cruise fanatic, and have really missed cruising. My husband and I had a weeks cruise on Iona booked for December, which we recently cancelled due to the lack of independent port exploration. He’s not big on time away from the animals and his businesses, and I felt that I’d put him off for life with a week of organised tours or staying on the ship.

I had already decided though to go on a Staycation, and found some dates with P&O that worked well with work for me. 6 nights on Britannia from 19th Sept. I wanted one with at least one port day, so chose this one as we do have a day in Liverpool.

I booked a single balcony cabin. I did this at the time because the inside cabins (which is all I have ever paid for) were only £120 cheaper and I thought it might be nice with the sea days to have a balcony.

I do also get £70 obc which should cover my speciality dining.

I have also booked the drinks package. £239 for the 6 days. This is very controversial in P&O land but does work well for me. All drinks under £6.95 are included, and most cocktails are indeed £6.95. With Costa coffee’s and water I’ll definitely spend this, especially with all the time on ship. I also like to know what my bill is at the end of the day.

Unfortunately P&O are only letting guests off in the ports on an organised tour. I live just over half an hour away from Liverpool, but I have never done the Beatles Experience, so booked that just for a bit of time on land really. I may live to regret this.

My 21 days arrived for check in, and I was given my cabin number and boarding time. I got the coveted boarding time of 12.30, and with Southampton boat show on, and living around 4 hours away, I decided to book a cheap night somewhere and set off on the Saturday. I found a hotel in Abingdon, just off the A34 which had a single room for £63. This should be just over an hour from Southampton and be near several EV charging options. It’s called Cosenors house, and is apparently right by the Thames.

Pre travel

So the day before I was due to leave came and I had a really busy day. I had my usual pre holiday pedicure, plugged my car in, printed out all my documents, then we had tickets to Jimmy Carr at our local theatre in the evening so a lovely meal at the Tapas restaurant before, followed by a great show.

Morning of arrived and I woke up early as usual. Quick shower and I said goodbye to my husband and dog before getting on the road south. The M6 was broken as usual so it was a slow meander down with several diversions.

Decide to forgo the toll and just head down the M6. I was getting hungry as had had no breakfast, so pulled into Hilton park services around 10.15am. I plug the car in as the chargers are empty (it really doesn’t need it but might as well whilst I’m stopping) and head for a toilet break and then to Costa. Breakfast deal of a latte and a sausage sandwich for £4.50 which isn’t bad for the services.

Then I progress further. My first stop is the Bothy Vineyard. I pull up just a couple from South Africa have started a tasting. They let me join in and I got to try 5 different wines, 3 whites, 1 rose and 1 red. It was such a shame as they said they had made their last wine. Climate change had meant it was just too unpredictable. Terribly sad but a really interesting visit. I bought 3 bottles as presents for £30.

I’m desperate for a wee but there are no toilets so I jump in the car and head for my stop for the night, Abingdon. I’m too early to check in so I waddle into Waitrose to use the toilets. As I come out I see an empty charger in the car park so plug in again. I really don’t need to still but it will make my return from Southampton much smoother the more charge I have.

All plugged in I go for a wander. The town is very pretty, indeed right on the Thames, and I decide to have some lunch.

Everywhere is so busy though, the first pub wouldn’t seat me, the second were friendly but rushed off their feet and I sat for ages waiting before finally giving up, I had to move the car after 90 minutes or be fined so I didn’t want to risk that. I ended up at the Pizza Express where I had a Pollo Astra and a small rose for £21.50.

Unplug the car and check in at my hotel. I’ve really had the best luck with chargers today and my car is now at 97% without putting me out at all. There is a queue out of the door to check in, but the staff are really friendly. The hotel is set in grounds of the old Abbey and is so very pretty. My room is in the main building, and a bit dated (and very warm) so I just dump my stuff and head out.

There is a 3.30pm showing at a little independent cinema and this seems like a nice idea on a hot busy day. I book a table with comfy seats and a large glass of wine for £21.25. The film is the Courier with Benedict Cumberbatch. I didn’t know if I’d love the film, being a Cold War Spy type film but I absolutely did, I was gripped. I haven’t been to the cinema since pre Covid, and barely since getting the dog so it was absolutely lovely. I had a super comfy chair and if you text the number, they bring more drinks or snacks. Best way to pass a warm tired afternoon.

I feel far more rejuvenated afterwards, and decide to go and explore a bit further. It’s set around the lovely old market place, and of course the river so I just meander and have a nosy.

I have noticed the drinks especially are eye watering here compared to home, so I spot a Spoons and dive in. I order a glass of Villa Maria for £5.30 which is much better and just write my notes and read my book until I get hungry again. Turns out to be a really funky spoons

After a while I decide to head for dinner. I had seen a Lebanese restaurant which is one of my favourites and my husband never picks. Taking advantage of being on my own I go there and get seated straight away. I’m not hungry at all but order 2 starters because I just can’t decide…..

I get a glass of white, and Houmous and Halloumi to start. It comes with a massive basket of pita bread. Followed by a chicken kebab. The food is good and I manage most of it but I am sooo stuffed. This came to £30.50 which is not bad at all considering i had a second wine.

I finish up and meander back to my hotel where I have a quick shower, and watch TV on my iPad before crashing out about 9!

Tomorrow it’s onto Southampton and hopefully boarding Britannia

Edited at 11:21 AM.
mitch84 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 21, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Sounds like a lovely day 😊

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 21, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Really surprised P&O ate only letting you off on an organised tour - Princess (sister company) changed their policy a while back to let you off independently. I’m sure the tour will be good though - a couple on my last cruise did it and really enjoyed it 😊

Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 21, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by Melanie R View Post
Really surprised P&O ate only letting you off on an organised tour - Princess (sister company) changed their policy a while back to let you off independently. I’m sure the tour will be good though - a couple on my last cruise did it and really enjoyed it 😊
I hope so! I’m like you and quite close to Liverpool, but I just felt that I fancied a bit of time off the ship.
I think this is the last P&O cruise that they are sticking to it, I guess they didn’t want everyone cancelling their excursions
Old 19 Sep 21, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Good point! Have a fab time - we’ll be on passing cruise ships - I sail on Wednesday 😂

Old 20 Sep 21, 07:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs_Potts
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Abingdon is my home town! One thing we are not sort of is coffee shops! Interested to know which hotel you stayed at?
2005 - Pop Century
2006 - Pop Century
2007 - Pop Century
Mrs_Potts is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 21, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by Mrs_Potts View Post
Abingdon is my home town! One thing we are not sort of is coffee shops! Interested to know which hotel you stayed at?
I stayed at Cosenors house. Just found the back of the Abbey gardens and cinema etc. The staff were lovely and the grounds were beautiful but the rooms were a little tired! Cheap though. Seems like a lovely little town x

Edited at 11:20 AM.
mitch84 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 21, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs_Potts
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Do you know I have never been there and I have lived in Abingdon all my life!
2005 - Pop Century
2006 - Pop Century
2007 - Pop Century
Mrs_Potts is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 21, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great start to the report
margyloveswdw is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 21, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by Mrs_Potts View Post
Do you know I have never been there and I have lived in Abingdon all my life!
Seemed popular for weddings and afternoon tea! Seems a lovely town, was glad to find the Spoons though as the wine was expensive compared to back home 😂