Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 20 Sep 21, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Cills2015
Proud to wear my Ears

Recommendations for apartments in New York

Hi

Myself and a group of friends are planning to go to New York to celebrate our 50th birthdays in 2023 - Yay!

There is likely to be 4 of us, but possibly as many as 6

We are looking at going in March/April - is that a good time of year to go?

Also we would like to stay central to the main tourist attractions (hopefully walking distance?) but in a 2 or even 3 bed apartment. Does anyone have any recommendations on where we could stay please? We don't mind spending a bit more if its worth it but don't want to be ripped off by somewhere completely overpriced.
If we need to look a bit further out distance-wise to find something that size it wouldn't be a deal breaker as long as the transport links are close and easy to use!

We will all be first timers there so know absolutely nothing about New York yet! Lots of research to be done including reading Dibber trip reports
Cills2015 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 21, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Unless rules have changed you can’t rent apartments the only ones I know are Radio City
Please check out the rules anddontget ripped off
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 21, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

Please don’t go onto trip advisor and ask this question,they will be quite forceful with their answers.
I don’t think the situation has changed regarding the legality of apartments to rent.
Radio City apartments as mentioned may be worth a look but not sure how many bedrooms they go up to.
Four will probably be easier to accommodate than six.
I think you may be able to rent apartments further out but not 100% sure,New Jersey maybe.
Tracy x
Old 21 Sep 21, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Cills2015
Proud to wear my Ears

Thanks Gryff and Tracy, I didn't know about the renting of apartments (shows I need to do much more research!) so you could have saved me lots of time, effort and possible heartache - Thank you!
I will definitely look at Radio City Apartments and we will focus our search on hotel rooms rather than apartments now.
Cills2015 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 21, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Radio City is a great suggestion but there are some other options which have two beds and are part of a hotel chain.

REALLY unhelpfully I can’t remember which ones ( sorry 😢 ) but when I searched and put in six adults they came up.
Old 21 Sep 21, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Cills2015
Proud to wear my Ears

Thanks Karen I will have a look.
I guess I will need to be careful as one of my friends was looking on Vrbo and Airbnb last night and she said there were loads of 2-3 bed apartments on offer - are these all illegal then?
Old 21 Sep 21, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Yes they are and you can be evicted it’s been know to happen
They are only legal if the owner owns the whole building or stays in the apartment with you
I’d stay clear to be honest

Edited at 10:34 AM.
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 21, 12:29 AM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

I wouldn’t take my chances with Airbnb in New York and I use Airbnb a lot for our travels.
I wouldn’t want the worry of being asked to leave mid stay or not getting entry in the first place.
I’d definitely look elsewhere
Tracy x
Old 22 Sep 21, 01:57 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

We did a girl’s trip to New York and booked a couple of two bedroom suites at a Residence Inn. We actually stayed out in New Jersey , the bus into the city stopped right outside the hotel and was dirt cheap , it was about 15/20 mins from memory and buses ran til past midnight to and from the Port Authority.
It had two bedrooms a lounge with sofa beds and a full kitchen oh and a stove in the lounge which was great to hang out by as it was December. Most importantly each suite had two bathrooms , essential with so many women ! Free decent breakfast too

Newark was closer than JFK but both were easy (we used both as we came from various different places)

Edited at 02:12 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 21, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
We did a girl’s trip to New York and booked a couple of two bedroom suites at a Residence Inn. We actually stayed out in New Jersey , the bus into the city stopped right outside the hotel and was dirt cheap , it was about 15/20 mins from memory and buses ran til past midnight to and from the Port Authority.
It had two bedrooms a lounge with sofa beds and a full kitchen oh and a stove in the lounge which was great to hang out by as it was December. Most importantly each suite had two bathrooms , essential with so many women ! Free decent breakfast too

Newark was closer than JFK but both were easy (we used both as we came from various different places)
Going to look at that for our next girls trip as it sounds ideal.
Staying further out isn’t an issue for us as the transport links are so good.
We stayed in Long Island one time with the subway on the doorstep and it was no hassle at all.
Tracy x