Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Sep 21, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
natanddaz
Imagineer

Anyone taken an internal flight mia-mco

So like many of us I'm desperately trying lots of different flight options to get us over to Florida next August without breaking the bank. Iv stumbled across some good value flights to Mia however we don't plan to drive. My thoughts are to maybe spend 3/4 nights on Miami beach and the get an internal flight up to mco- anyone done this and can advise how easy/hard it is?
Also any advice re staying on South beach as a family? I'm worried it's maybe too hip and trendy for us lol
Plan to fly home out of Tampa so will just taxi to Tampa from Orlando

Any advice greatly received as always
natanddaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 21, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
moosha
VIP Dibber

We spent a Saturday night over Spring Break 2017 at South Beach before driving up to Orlando the next day. It was…eye-opening 😂. Ocean Drive was a bit raucous, absolutely packed with people and cars, loud music with people dancing out the top of their sun roofs etc, dancing all over the pavement and there was a guy with a big snake around his neck. There were also quite a few groups on the beach smoking weed in the early evening. We were also walking back to our hotel a couple of blocks from Ocean Drive and a big truck passed us with a huge video billboard for a strip club featuring actual footage from the club which happened to get stuck at traffic lights beside us. Our girls were 10 and 8 at the time so that was fun 😬. While I wouldn’t say I felt unsafe it definitely felt very hedonistic. I’ve heard people say Miami Beach is at its craziest at Spring Break (and if you’ve seen footage from this year’s Spring Break you’ll know what I mean) but we also have friends in the US who say it’s always like that as it’s a party city.

The architecture is beautiful, we ate some good food and away from Ocean Drive in the evening there was a good holiday atmosphere. After last time we said we’d like to go back when it’s quieter and not Spring Break which we are doing next August by default as the flight prices were so much better than Orlando. I’m looking forward to seeing the beautiful buildings and eating there again and now the girls are older I’m less concerned about the sights we may see 😂.

I think with a young family I’d probably choose a big family friendly hotel with good pool and dining facilities to feel more comfortable but I definitely think it’s possible to have a better experience than we did with some research on family friendly areas and maybe staying away from Ocean Drive at night.

I’m sure others will have had very different experiences to us too.
moosha is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 21, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
logic500
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by natanddaz View Post
So like many of us I'm desperately trying lots of different flight options to get us over to Florida next August without breaking the bank. Iv stumbled across some good value flights to Mia however we don't plan to drive. My thoughts are to maybe spend 3/4 nights on Miami beach and the get an internal flight up to mco- anyone done this and can advise how easy/hard it is?
Also any advice re staying on South beach as a family? I'm worried it's maybe too hip and trendy for us lol
Plan to fly home out of Tampa so will just taxi to Tampa from Orlando

Any advice greatly received as always
We flew MCO to MIA a few weeks ago to get our return flight to LHR.

We looked at driving, getting a bus... and then a flight. Cost about £220 for all four of us with suitcases.

We flew three different times with Frontier during our five plus weeks away (Cancun to MCO, MCO to Memphis & back, and MCO to MIA). Joined their 'den' club so the kids flew for free.

Couldn't fault them.

Will use them again next summer to get us from NY to Orlando (have flights booked with BA to JFK).

Internal flights are a doddle by the way, like getting the bus 😄

Edited at 05:45 PM.
logic500 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 21, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

There is Greyhound from Miami to Orlando too
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 21, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
logic500
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
There is Greyhound from Miami to Orlando too
When we looked at Greyhound, it cost a fortune compared to a flight... was a no brainer 😄
logic500 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 21, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
N52939
Apprentice Imagineer

Another option is FLL to MCO with Southwest (baggage is included). Flight is usually only 35 - 40 minutes. Just steer clear of Spirit!
Old 21 Sep 21, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
mumsthebigkid
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

DH and I (late 40s) did MIA to MCO after a 4 night South Beach stay on Collins Ave. Easy to grab a Lyft from south beach to airport (and vice Verse). The airport is large, but we found it easy enough to navigate.

We really enjoyed South Beach. Yes, Ocean Drive can be a loud and busy, but definitely worth a stroll along to take in the atmosphere. Plenty of ‘flash cars’ if your children are into that?

There’s a great diner called Big Pink which is really popular with people queuing all day long! Located on Collins Ave, opposite a boutique hotel which we stayed in (Blanc Kara). Our hotel was close enough for a nice stroll to beach and restaurants, but far enough that we were not impacted by noise.

No sure how old the children are, but I’d recommend a visit to Bayside Marketplace which is a short taxi ride away. The thriller boat ride was fantastic, taking you out to all the celebrity homes. Great shopping also 👍🏼
mumsthebigkid is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 21, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I’m seeing $38 one way ……..
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 21, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
popsiwinkle
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by N52939 View Post
Another option is FLL to MCO with Southwest (baggage is included). Flight is usually only 35 - 40 minutes. Just steer clear of Spirit!
We're planning on doing MIA to MCO, no checked or hand luggage - just a seat and our passports basically. Would spirit still not be someone you'd recommend if that's how we'd be travelling?
popsiwinkle is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 21, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
N52939
Apprentice Imagineer

The issue with Spirit (and Frontier to a lesser extent) is their reliability. They are known for delays and cancellations. Have you looked at American Airlines basic fares from MIA to MCO?

Originally Posted by popsiwinkle View Post
We're planning on doing MIA to MCO, no checked or hand luggage - just a seat and our passports basically. Would spirit still not be someone you'd recommend if that's how we'd be travelling?