Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Sep 21, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
natanddaz
Imagineer

Long layover in Philadelphia?

Me again! Just wondered if anyone has done a long layover on a connecting flight. I'm looking at flying indirect via Philadelphia.
There are two options one has a layover of 2.25 hours
The second has a layover of 13 hours.

Now I know many people would probably prefer the short layover and just get to your destination. However I have three kids in tow and I'm just wondering if actually doing an 8 hour flight to Philadelphia then having food and a sleep at an airport hotel before doing the final bit early the next morning (flight leaves at 08.00) would work better.

Anyone don't anything similar?
natanddaz is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I sometimes do this when flying to SYD. Partly so I can enjoy Asian airports like Changi which is one of my favourite places.

For MCO, I don't think it's worth it as you're basically losing a whole day. Are you looking at the BA connecting to AA flights by any chance? I would price the earlier AA LHR-PHL flight which should give you about 4.5 hrs in PHL.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
2017dream
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by natanddaz View Post
Me again! Just wondered if anyone has done a long layover on a connecting flight. I'm looking at flying indirect via Philadelphia.
There are two options one has a layover of 2.25 hours
The second has a layover of 13 hours.

Now I know many people would probably prefer the short layover and just get to your destination. However I have three kids in tow and I'm just wondering if actually doing an 8 hour flight to Philadelphia then having food and a sleep at an airport hotel before doing the final bit early the next morning (flight leaves at 08.00) would work better.

Anyone don't anything similar?

Hi there

we did a short layover on the way out and a 6 hour one on the way back..after a look round and a shop we were a bit fed up but if it's overnight you could chill out i surpose but you would lose a day so I would go the day before...
Could I ask who you are booking with and what dates as we would love this overnight flight as always wanted to do the rocky steps in Philadelphia but we didn't have time to leave the airport last time
2017dream is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

We've got a 4 hour wait at Philly, i thought that might be a bit long but it saves rushing i guess.

I'd take the 2.25 option if it was me
Old 23 Sep 21, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
natanddaz
Imagineer

Thanks for the replies guys. Im not too bothered to be honest about losing a day in orlando. The flight takes off at 07.30 the next morning so i figured we could still be at disney by midday so only half a day really. If it was just me and DH i would absolutly go for the shot layover however we have 3 kids DS 13 with autisim DD 9 DS 6 im just thinking would it be an easier (although i appreciate longer) trip if we did the initial 8 hour flight then had a chill at a hotel pool eat slept etc and then the final 2.5 hours the next morning when everyone is feeling a bit fresher. If not a 2.25 hour layover makes it a very long day and a late night especially for our youngest!

My itinery is shaping up to look like this booking a custom trip with BA
LHR-PHIL 16th aug
1 night at an airport hotel
PHIL-MCO 17th aug taking off at 07.30
13 nights WDW
6 night Holiday inn harbourside at indian rocks near clearwater
TPA-LGW 05th sep
natanddaz is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

If you have to clear immigration etc at Philadelphia then this will reduce your 2.5 hours layover so personally I would opt for the shorter wait.
Old 23 Sep 21, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

Have done a 4hr layover and an overnight. Personally, I wouldn't do the long layover on the outward leg. By the time you have got through immigration and customs you might only have 2 to 1/2 hr wait. We have done it the other way round, overnight layover going home. Reason, we dont sleep on the plane, so overnight hotel, nice dinner and a walk around, then bed up early for an 8.30 day flight.

We prefer a layover flight as it breaks up the journey, time to9 get a decent meal and stretch the legs, clear customs and arrive at your Orlando airport as a domestic customer, straight to get your car/transport and off to your accommodtion.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
2017dream
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by natanddaz View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. Im not too bothered to be honest about losing a day in orlando. The flight takes off at 07.30 the next morning so i figured we could still be at disney by midday so only half a day really. If it was just me and DH i would absolutly go for the shot layover however we have 3 kids DS 13 with autisim DD 9 DS 6 im just thinking would it be an easier (although i appreciate longer) trip if we did the initial 8 hour flight then had a chill at a hotel pool eat slept etc and then the final 2.5 hours the next morning when everyone is feeling a bit fresher. If not a 2.25 hour layover makes it a very long day and a late night especially for our youngest!

My itinery is shaping up to look like this booking a custom trip with BA
LHR-PHIL 16th aug
1 night at an airport hotel
PHIL-MCO 17th aug taking off at 07.30
13 nights WDW
6 night Holiday inn harbourside at indian rocks near clearwater
TPA-LGW 05th sep
Thanks for posting,this is our exact date to fly out, I will go have a look now 😁 xx
2017dream is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List