Notices
Itineraries Post your Trip Itineraries here.

Old 3 Nov 19, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by coulty47 View Post
Blizzard Beach is closed the whole of January so thats one less problem for you, also we went to Typhoon Lagoon in January unfortunately the day we picked was a little bit cool it was ok to lounge around and sunbathe but it was very chilly on some of the water rides , yet the next day was in the 80s and would have been so much better.One good thing about Jan is the Americans think it's far to cold to swim so it is usually not to crowded.Theme Park hrs are at the top of the page for next year. have a great time.
Blizzard Beach reopens mid January and then Typhoon Lagoon closes. OPs original plan has them going on days when each will be open. I still would drop one of them though, we were there late January this year and definitely would have been too cold.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by AP1991 View Post
Thats awesome thanks! Definitely thinking about a costume but theres so many choices.

Do the race day pacers do walk run as well?
All of the pacers tend to follow the Jeff Galloway walk/run method. I haven't seen a group that didn't but I assume that the faster ones may not.

The pacing groups are located in the different corrals (talk to the stand at the expo to find out which corral and the names of the pacers). As far as I recall the groups have a couple of pacers, sometimes they both run at the front of the group and sometimes split (one at the front and one at the back). At least one of them has a flag or some sort of indicator to say what pace they are running (normally length of running time). It isn't formal and it is easy to drift in and out of the group but a lot of people join from the beginning and aim to keep up with the same group throughout. They may not pause for loo breaks or for character pictures. The groups are encouraged to run 2 a-breast and to hold up hands or shout when they are stopping.

Disney try to highlight trip hazards (you'll see how on the course), things like when you have to go around the bollards, go through the car park entrance or over the train line. However AVOID running on metal bits (such as manhole covers, cats eyes in the middle of the road, the retractable barriers on the road) and be very careful around the verges, you can easily trip up on them as they are not very clear. If your night vision isn't up to much you may want to run with a torch while it is dark.

Don't worry about grabbing water on the first table when you run through a water stop, they tend to have long tables with plenty of volunteers handing it out. They normally do water then gatorade - you may want to hold onto the water to wash out the taste of the gatorade (although the sweet cherry one wasn't too bad). There are bins the other sides of the table to dump cups in (pour the liquid out first). Medical stations run out of deep heat/numbing rub quickly on so think about taking that with you if you need it. Also remember sun glasses/hat as it can get very bright out there before you finish.

Loos - there are lots of portaloos before you start the trek to the corrals (and sometimes there are some just before you get to the corrals but you cannot guarantee that). They call them portapottys! On the half and full marathons they then tend to have portaloos at the first mile but only 5 or so of them. That means there is a long queue just after you start running. If you can hold off then there are more later on in the course - they tend to space them out quite nicely. As soon as you get close to or into the parks then you can use those loos which are nicer!

The expo had long lines to pick up the running packs when we last went but then was easy to get to the rest. They did ask us to get our photo taken with our bibs for Dopey so that they knew it was us doing the running. You get 2 bibs, one for 5k and 10k and the other for the half/full marathon. Don't post pictures online with your running number on it (there are a few instances of people stealing them using that method). The expo is worth going around, lots of different stalls selling stuff you never knew you needed. If you want KT taping then you can get that done there (there is a charge but I don't know what it is). You can normally preview medals at the expos as well!
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

Sorry, don't mean to write such long essays! Just keep thinking of things that I think may be useful!
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
emilysharratt
a Friend of the DIBB

Wow In total admiration of doing the dopey challenge. That is some serious running! Looks like a good flexible itinerary that can be changed if needed. I’m doing the Disney princess half in February and a bit nervous how walking round the parks for two weeks is going to take its toll on my legs for the half but I’m just going to take my time and take it all in. Definitely not chasing a pb! Typhoon lagoon Closes on the 5th jan for refurbishment and blizzard beach is shut now and reopens early 2020 so may be open in time for your stay but potentially both could be closed .

Edited at 08:57 AM.
emilysharratt is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

Before I started running I used to wince the day or so after the London marathon as I saw able bodied people edging their way backwards down the stairs. Both times that we have run the WDW marathon we were upstairs in Old Key West (last time had to carry child and buggy up and down as well) and I have to say that the second time having kept moving after running I was a little sore but no where near what I was expecting. So my suggestion is keep moving gently and listen to your body! I was laid up with a twisted ankle as well last time so did cross training and that seemed to help as well.

I have always wanted to do the princess half - it looks wonderful. You will have a great time. Take your medal out with you into the park afterwards and get some celebratory pictures. If you are wearing the medals afterwards lots of people congratulate you (not just cast members) which surprised me.

I don't have another Disney run planned for the moment so have to live my running through other people!