Notices

Old 9 Jun 17, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
MichelleS
Imagineer

Just a quick note to say ,Gracelands we did the ultimate VIP tour and it was amazing we learned so much and our guide was very informative
Nashville was good fun we went to the grand ole oprey and it was really enjoyable music to suit all ages .

1996 Music - 2004 Sports - 2006 Movies & POR - 2007 Loews Miami Beach & Buena Vista Palace
2008 Fairfield Inn / St Augustine / POR - 2011 Springhill Suites LBV
Aug 2022 Disney All Stars (with Grandchildren)
MichelleS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 17, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by HEMANCLOFTY View Post
Oh WOW! What exciting plans and a fabulous way to celebrate your birthday! It's going to make for an epic trippie

I definitely need to know about the original deep fried pie shop (please let it be in Orlando).

Can't wait to read more
Ah, sadly the deep fried pie shop isnt in Orlando - and we have changed one of our routes so we are no longer going past it - just as well, heart attack in a pie I guess. think Deep fried cornish pasty with American style fillings - but really bad for you ! Still, we swopped it out for the Whole Hog Cafe - sounds much healthier right

Thanks for reading
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 17, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by MichelleS View Post
Just a quick note to say ,Gracelands we did the ultimate VIP tour and it was amazing we learned so much and our guide was very informative
Nashville was good fun we went to the grand ole oprey and it was really enjoyable music to suit all ages .
Hope you had a fab trip - glad to hear you enjoyed the Opry and Graceland. We are going for the next priced tour down - mainly as we are going back to Memphis for lunch so didnt want the meal that was included on the ultimate. I am really looking forward to the rest of the tour though. Welcome Home
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 17, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

The Incredible Plan - Part 1 Texas and Arkansas

Into Double Digits so I have been getting on with the detailed day plans - well, for the first few days at least

I thought I would also list our costs as part of the plan for anyone else thinking of a similar road trip .

The trip is an unashamed total food fest but I realised after the first few days that even we could only manage so much steak and fine dining.

So we have agreed to alternate one night of fancy food followed by one night of casual dining. Easier on the waistline and the wallet too !

Onto the plans then

The Day Before
Booked in to Premier Inn Bath Road – got a fab deal. £94 for room and meal deal which is dinner and breakfast.

That feels good value.

Will cost us around £100 for the taxi to get there . Logistically easier though as we fly out of Heathrow and arrive back at Gatwick.

Spend night fussing about how dogs and kids will survive 19 days without me

Travel Day

LHR- ATL-DFW

We are going Virgin PE , row 19 so no window but close to the front for speedy exit

matching new cases purchased in the Debenhams Sale- very pleased with them being super lightweight and of course us getting 2 cases each in PE - so plan is Case in A Case on the way out.

The flights were £878 each for PE both ways and includes Delta Comfort on the internal flight to Dallas . Would have loved to have gone Upper but not picking up a job quickly kind of put an end to that fancifulness !

I booked us into the bubble for the return home. I’m hoping Andy doesn’t go all Mission Space claustrophobic in there !

A bit worried about the 2.2 hours connection time in Atlanta given recent reports of horrendous queue times , although there is at least one other DFW flight after ours so some fall back I guess .

Also got a bit concerned seeing Virgin changing flight times quite regularly – I am hoping they don’t mess with the schedule !

We are due to arrive in Dallas around 7.30pm so should be at our super swanky downtown hotel an hour later – I am going to book the Super Shuttle for our transfer , its around $35.

We are staying at the Magnolia Hotel – in central downtown so easy to explore everywhere on foot . £360 for Deluxe Queen Room for two nights

Depending on whether we are hungry/ can face the walk it will be somewhere like Sonny Bryans Smokehouse for dinner or we will just pop round the corner to the City Tavern.

Day 1 Downtown Dallas
Breakfast at Cindis NY Deli – about 15 min walk from hotel and near Dealey Plaza.

Explore the area, Grassy Knowl / JFK memorial .

Walk back towards the hotel to Nieman Marcus, Pick up starbucks mug (!) and then on to Dallas Farmers Market to look around and snacks for lunch.

Walk back to Hotel via City Hall Plaza, maybe a couple of drinks and chill In the room for a bit .

Walk to JFK museum late afternoon for a couple of hours, then up to Hard Rock or HoB for drinks before dinner at YO steakhouse – the most intriguing menu – Rattlesnake chili pie anyone ?!

This is where planning definitely pays off – I had beautifully crafted this day with us visiting the JFK museum in the morning – only to find it doesn’t open till midday on a Monday – crisis averted

Day 2 Shreveport and Little Rock

Early breakfast in hotel and then transfer back to DFW to pick up a hire car – gone for a large Chrysler or similar – Cost £440 for a week – includes a hefty one way fee plus we are upgrading the roadside assistance when we get there.

Drive to Shreveport ( 3 hours). This is solely to see my Dad’s elder brother. He has lived here for more years than I can recall – I first visited Shreveport when I was 12 and we went to see Southfork on a day trip – the tv show Dallas was all the rage back then ! We haven’t seen him for many many years – ill health has taken its toll and prevented him and others from travelling

Anyhoo, we thought wouldn’t it be amazing if we could drop in to see him and then facetime my Dad, my Aunt and my Gran while we were with him – so briefly re-unite them as a family.

Please lord let them all be still with us in September to make this happen.

It’s a dog leg detour on the trip but after much discussion we both agreed it was the right thing to do .

From Shreveport its another 3 hour drive to Little Rock , tonight’s destination

We are staying at the Doubletree in the centre of the town ( £160 one night, plus parking)

and plan to walk along the riverfront to Dugan’s irish bar for dinner. Possibly via the cocktail bar en route ..

Day 3 Little Rock and Eureka Springs

Breakfast is planned @The Corner before visiting the Clinton Presidential Library – we loved the Reagan one so looking forward to this one.

I may then torture Andy with a trip to the Esse handbag museum , or we may just get on the road for the 3 hour drive to Eureka Springs

Lunch is planned on the way at Fat Daddy’s BBQ in Russellville

Yes indeedy, they put meat on your buns dontcha know It looks like a 4Rivers style place so we are drooling already.

Eureka Springs is another place I visited as a child – I want to go back and see if its changed – it’s a totally quirky place and to be honest a really long way out in the mountains but its also quite beautiful so I am hoping Andy thinks its worth it

We are staying at the Palace Hotel and Spa (£145 one night) .

Ok, I make no comment and accept no responsibility for their somewhat phallic looking hotel sign

You can walk along the main street so we can leave the car.

Dinner is planned at the Grotto Woodfire Grill and Wine Cavern.

More to follow ...
Pictures are all courtesy of google images.

Edited at 04:53 PM.
Old 11 Jun 17, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Looks fab so far! The JFK museum is really good - you'll love it. And really cool to meet up with family, hope it's really special for you all.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 17, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
Looks fab so far! The JFK museum is really good - you'll love it. And really cool to meet up with family, hope it's really special for you all.
Hello, coming round fast for you now

We are really looking forward to our day in Dallas and the whole family thing will be so emotional. I do hope everyone is well enough to be part of it .. And the technology works

I have run out of steam a bit now. Memphis is sorted but I have no enthusiasm for Nashville so skipped it and gone straight to planning New Orleans. I need to get my mojo back
Old 19 Jun 17, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Days 4-8 Tennessee

Day 4 – Eureka Springs to Memphis

Ah this will be a long drive

Free brekky at hotel followed by a quick trip to Basin Springs Park (if we didn’t see it last night)

and then out to see the Christ of the Ozarks ( unkindly likened to a milk carton by some)

And then on the road for 3 hours , stopping for lunch at the Whole Hog Café in Conway

Bellies full I will then sleep, snore and dribble for the remaining 2 hours to Memphis

Lets hope Andy doesn’t do the same or it could be a quite exciting but shortened journey !

We are staying 2 nights at the Hampton Inn and Suites Memphis near Beale Street

£390 including breakfast but excluding parking

Depending on arrival time we might do one of the local tours ( Gibson or Sun Studios) or we may just head out onto Beale Street for the rest of the afternoon and evening

Day 5 Memphis

Up and out to Graceland

I am going to pre book tickets – going for the VIP one and aiming to get there for the 0930 slot for the mansion.

Am looking forward to this very much

Back to Memphis at lunchtime to try one of the Man V Food places – either Kooky Canucks or Vergos. But a shared lunch as we have a posh dinner tonight – that’s the plan anyway

Afternoon free to look around and do any local tours before dinner at Flight Wine Bar, booked for 7pm

Day 6 Nashville

On the road to Nashville after hotel brekky. 3 hour drive

Aim to get to HIE Opryland before lunchtime . What a faff the Nashville hotels have been , I think its killed my enthusiasm for the place. I thought Dallas was expensive , eesh here is eye watering.

This place though was a good deal as recommended by fellow Dibbers £400 for two nights including breakfast and parking. I cant believe I think £200 per night is a good deal. Orlando prices totally spoil you.

Anyhoo, no fixed plans for the afternoon except that by 4pm we want to be over at the Opry Mill Mall so we can easily head over to the Opry for the evening – we have 2nd row mezzanine tickets so I am hoping a good view. No idea what to expect from tonight but keep hearing good things

Not planned eats for today – could be a hangry nightmare in the making

Day 7 Nashville

Sunday, we fancy visiting the big Baptist Church downtown.

Then have the rest of the day to explore downtown so that may mean Country Music Hall of Fame, Shelby Bridge etc and definitely some time along Broadway.

No food plans for today yet either. Need to sort this asap !

Day 8 Nashville to New Orleans

Up and out early after free hotel brekky and on the road to Lynchburg to the Jack Daniels Distillery ( about 1 ½ hours) .

In no rush so will stay for lunch at somewhere like the Barrelhouse BBQ or BBQ Caboose Café. Arent they just the best names !

Back To Nashville for any last minute sight seeing / killing time before returning the hire car and catching our 7.15 flight to New Orleans. £225 for the two of us, including luggage.

Arrive NOLA just after 8.30 , not booked a transfer yet but expect to be at hotel by 9.30

The super swanky Bourbon Orleans - £400 for 4 nights in a King Room ( now that is a bargain). Yes its hurricane season so it had 60% off but frankly we always travel to Florida in hurricane season anyway.

We may well venture out onto Bourbon Street to begin our cocktail quest

Yes trying out the (many) cocktails invented here

New Orleans in the next instalment

pics courtesy of Google images

Edited at 10:41 AM.
Old 19 Jun 17, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Mobile

Ooh Amanda, what an exciting road trip. Im sure the boys will be fine and hopefully the house will still be in one piece ( no more swinging from the staircase! ) Happy planning and dress shopping!
mrsdjh is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 17, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Sounding great! Though some of the hotel prices are a bit eyewatering!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 17, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

Amanda, it all sounds fab! would love to do something like this when the kids have grown up!
Cutiepie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List