Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 29 Sep 21, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Ancientone
Getting to know the DIBB

Disability

Hi this has probably already been asked but am looking to take grandkids in 2023 as promised I would take him when he was born and like to keep my word! Unfortunately life has somewhat thrown a few obstacles in my path since and now have asthma Crohn’s and heart disease! I know my insurance will be expensive! But am also classed as disabled and use a mobility scooter. I know you can hire one over there but would like know about the practicality of using one as the parks are so big would it last all day, that sort of thing and as we are looking at a villa would need a car and scooter suitable for this purpose? Sounds like getting complicated/expensive already 😯
Ancientone is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 21, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Many of us on here use scooters
Randy mobility deliver / pick up scooters to villas so you only need it to fit in the car going shopping / parks etc
If you have a blue badge here you can get a temp badge for your stat in Florida
Use the DAS card at the parks
Organise special aaistance at the airport
Most of all make those wonderful memories
And ask any questions one of us will be able to help
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 21, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Ancientone
Getting to know the DIBB

Insurance

Hi gryff thanks for that just tried to get a quick quote on insurance and usual one’s dont seem to want to insure me seems my combination a bit too much for them lol any ideas on ones that would? Also would a scooter get round the parks easily or do you need to charge them up 1/2 way round lol and if so is there places you can do that?
Ancientone is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 21, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Ancientone
Getting to know the DIBB

Think wasting my time

Well I just got a quote and nrly 2500 insurance that’s too much for my blood looks like Disney france maybe ☹️
Old 29 Sep 21, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
sophie1405
Imagineer

I got insurance for £55 including my disabilities however i got in February and includes covid cover (i have read it like 1000 times to make sure). i have epilepsy and crohns, i use the DAS it works a treat and helps me so much in the parks.

Can't stay away <3
sophie1405 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 21, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Ancientone
Getting to know the DIBB

Insurance

Hi Sophie can you remember which company that was tho I think it’s the combination of asthma and heart disease that’s screwing me up lol although at present all under control
Old 29 Sep 21, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
sophie1405
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ancientone View Post
Hi Sophie can you remember which company that was tho I think it’s the combination of asthma and heart disease that’s screwing me up lol although at present all under control
getcover.com it is.

i have £95 excess, i normally go £0 but at the time i was panicking and i dont mind paying that if need be.

Can't stay away <3
sophie1405 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 21, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Ancientone
Getting to know the DIBB

Thanks

Ta! For that
Old 29 Sep 21, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

Some great advice above.

Another way to keep costs down is to take your own scooter from the UK with you. Airlines will transport mobility aids incl scooters for free - you need to speak to the Airlines Special Assistance team to book this. DH and I have taken our own scooters with us for many years now.

Depends on the range of the scooter (most should cope with 10 miles+) and condition of the battery (we usually ensure ours are less than a year old so hold the charge well). We always charge the batteries fully overnight after each days use, and always take a charger with us in the parks just in case. If we stop for a meal/show we try to plug in for a quick top up to help keep us going. You can easily cover 10 miles or so a day in the parks.

I know it is a pain but the best advice we can offer re travel insurance is read what each insurer needs you to declare about medical conditions very carefully, some are easier to comply with than others and then shop around, the difference in cost can be huge, but it does take a long time answering all the questions.

We always stay in a villa, so need a car but we also have to get two scooters into the car.

Car size needed will depend on the size of your scooter, how much you want to dismantle it each time, how many in your party etc etc

We usually get a 7 seater minivan for 2-4 adults and fold the back row of seats down. We only partially strip down the scooters, remove the seats, batteries and baskets - lift the rest of the scooters in whole and pack the other bits around them. We can't manage an airport run with all the luggage as well if there are 4 of us, but if only 2 of us we fold the second row of seats down as well and spread the scooter bits out more, so its easier to load/unload. This works well for us.

Happy to answer any other questions if I can.
Jennywren is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 21, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Ancientone
Getting to know the DIBB

Thx for all the good information not sure about taking my scooter as don’t think it will have the range and yes getting the idea insurance is hit and miss lol used same info with a different company and Disney France was only 52 squid yet USA 2450? I know its more expensive but that different lol