Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 2 Oct 21, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
scottsman
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by nige106 View Post
Mines full frame so not exactly small, coupled with 16-80 F2.8 lens for walking about. The only good thing is the bag is mega comfy.

Last time I took my DSLR (D5300) only concern is how weather proof it is
scottsman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 21, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

For many photo opportunities, a DSLR is still king.
Whilst phones have come a long way, the sensors used in them are still small.
For night time shots, DSLR will still beat phones
I use a Gopro for goid light settings and water shots and a canon for night time/firework shots
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 21, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
the_weird_one
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

For me I regretted not having my DSRL with me daily and was disappointed in the quality of the photos produced by my phone and a Sony RX100 III when it came to processing them after the holiday.

For me its a no brainer I'll be taking my now mirrorless SLR and a 24-105 f4 fixed aperture lens with me as well as an 85mm f1.4 for night / depth of field photography even at 6,400 iso the SLR isn't as noisy as my phone/RX100 at 800 iso
the_weird_one is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 21, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I think it depends on the personal taste I got top of the range phone camera it the first thing I look at when I change contact every 2 years it takes very good pics and fits in my pocket rather then having a large bag to carry around but that just me.
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 21, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I enjoy the dslr process ... the feel in my hands. For me it's part of a holiday. My camera phone is 3 years old and does not match my dslr photos, even if they are in auto!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 21, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

We spent a lot of money on a top of the range DSLR and only used it on the first day and found it a faff to carry around and get out of the case etc.. we did use it on non theme park days like the beach and Kennedy but never took it to Florida again.
We use it here but for a theme park heavy holiday it’s a no for us.

Edited at 12:13 PM.
ScoopsAhoy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 21, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

the key thing a phone cant generally offer is optical zoom, so if you're doing a safari, airboat tour, or other thing where you want to shoot from a distance, a proper camera is loads better. i used to take my SLR, but its just too bulky, so i got the canon EOS-M mirrorless compact, and a lens adapter so i could still take my big zoom lens (as well as the smaller lenses i would use most of the time)

for evening shots (MNSSHP/HHN/etc), a fast lens (eg my 50mm f1.2) is great for using handheld

but 90% of the time, im happy with my phone camera, and that just fits in my shirt pocket. i've always had high end smartphones with good cameras, and my current (temporary) phone is a redmi note 10, and the camera is awful, even when compared to my 4 year old pixel2 (ill be upgrading to the pixel 6 at some point soon)
wanye is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 21, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

This is a debate I’ve been having. I do some photos, more video, have a LUMIX G9. I also have about £1000 worth of lenses, a gimbal, ND filters and other bits and bobs. I lug this around the parks. Sometime I just take the camera with my favourite Sigma fast lens. I also have a GoPro.
I realised I wasn’t capturing enough content as frankly the camera is too much of a hassle to lug around often.
I’ve just bought a Sony Zv 1 which I am really impressed with. Fantastic autofocus, actually the match for the £3000 Sony full frame, masses of options (again the menu is basically the same as the full frame, I can shoot in HLG, SLog etc and colour grade in Final Cut), it is really very good indeed. However the quality isn’t a match for the G9 and certainly wouldn’t be for photos on a full frame. However, the video is close enough to a G9 / full frame (ironically with video the smaller sensor doesn’t make as much of a difference compared to photos), and the mantra is the best camera is the one you have with you.
I am waiting until after the next WDW trip to see whether I’ll sell my beloved G9 and lenses. If I was retired I wouldn’t but I don’t have the time to be a serious hobbyist with it. And I want a Wattbike Atom and that will pay for it😉
Now I must get around to editing my Hampton Court Cinematic shot on my G9 in summer.

Edited at 06:06 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I've never taken my DSLR, I think it would be too heavy to cart around everywhere.
I usually take a Canon M100 with 15-45mm lens, and a 55-200mm lens for where I'm likely to need a bigger zoom (airboat, AK, SW)
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 21, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

My DSLR goes almost everywhere with me but mainly stays in the car, I sell my photographs and so I need to have it just in case.

However the iPhone 12 Pro and better shoots in RAW and this for me is a game changer, two weeks ago I sold a 120x60 that I took on the iPhone. The 12 pro max has a far better sensor and I have not looked at the 13 yet as I don’t want to see some tech that make ps me want to upgrade

I hasten to add I would never take my DSLR to a theme park I just don’t think it’s needed for recreational snaps.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List