Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 2 Dec 21, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
HelenLime
Apprentice Imagineer

Wow loving this thread! Our household adores sushi and sashimi but I have always shied away from making my own due to paranoia over the freshness of the fish. Do you get it from a fishmonger? What are the ‘golden rules’ around freshness?
HelenLime is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 21, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
We make it regularly as Bozza junior is a sushi fiend.

It's really quite simple.

Core ingredients:

- Sushi rice
- Nori
- Rice vinegar
- Pinch of salt and sugar

Tools:

- Bamboo rolling mat (to make maki)
- Mold / block maker (to make nigiri)

We generally keep it simple and make avocado maki and salmon nigiri, although we mix it up sometimes with tamago (egg) and cucumber etc.

You'll get the knack for rolling maki quite quickly and it's quite good fun, and something the kids can easily help with.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 21, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by DisneyNikki View Post
What a fantastic story. Not wired at all. I can not eat pork joint but can eat pork sausage. We all have our little ways.
I might send you a PM with what happened on the plane to embarrass me into eating it - I am sooo pathetic in it!
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 21, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

On a related note (ok, it is 'ish) anyone know how to tell which rice seasoning does not come with any fish flavors in it?

japancentre/en/categ...rice-seasoning

I find the fishy smell not too pleasant and the couple we have tried from the link above, had that fishy smell to it - that ironically fresh sushi does not!
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 21, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by HelenLime View Post
Wow loving this thread! Our household adores sushi and sashimi but I have always shied away from making my own due to paranoia over the freshness of the fish. Do you get it from a fishmonger? What are the ‘golden rules’ around freshness?
start off using tinned meat for sushi rolls (crab, salmon, etc), but yeah, if you want sashimi, get yourself a nice strip of sushi grade tuna and/or salmon, a decent fishmongers should be able to source some, or at least point you in the right direction. if youre a costco member, their tubs of lump crab meat in the fridge section can't do wrong!

frozen is ok, especially for fish that isnt local to the uk coastline, as long as its been treated well

i use paulo's seafood in west bridgford, they supply a lot of local restaurants, as well as the guys at uramaki, so i got lucky...
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 21, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Just started getting into this. We have a Japanese rice cooker with a setting for Sushi rice, our first attempt didn’t go as well as planned but was still tasty. Hopefully we’ll do better on the second attempt

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List