Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Jan 22, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Happy new year! so glad it is all going well for Georgia.

Both mine took gap years in the end , so my 21 year old is in second year and will be heading for a 3rd year placement in Germany at the University of Bonn next year. A bit of an exciting adventure for her.

My 19 year old is in first year of a 4 year pharmacology course leading to her masters ... and has found a house share for next year.. Nice to be done and dusted on that one... she's hoping to do well in her exams as this years results determine eligibility for 3rd year placement choices.
That’s lovely news, how exciting to have a placement overseas for your DD. It’s so good to see that the oversea placements are able to go ahead again

Great news that your younger daughter has found accommodation for next year. That’s always a worry, which is why Georgia and her friends were happy to stay in their house for years 2 and 3. They’re a little worried as it’s now January and many houses get signed up before Christmas in Bristol, but Georgia hadn’t heard about her masters until this week so they couldn’t really commit until now. They have found 3 that they want to view, it’s just a case of arranging it with such a busy workload too. That’s another reason why it’s good that your DD has got hers sorted, she can just concentrate on the work now xx
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Bella Girl
slightly serious Dibber

Bella Girl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Dd just started exams - these count towards her final degree.

It is hard to believe that it is nearly 3 years since we were all fretting about them all starting Uni!
Bella Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bella Girl View Post

It is hard to believe that it is nearly 3 years since we were all fretting about them all starting Uni!
Hasn’t the time gone so quickly? Who would have imagined how strange their time at uni would have been back then?

Good luck to your DD for her exams xx Georgia has hers early June, that will be the very last part of the degree for her. What is your DD hoping to do afterwards?
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Happy New Year (belatedly) to all on this thread. Just wondered how all the students are getting on into the final run of their university degrees (for 3 year courses at least).

Georgia is very busy back in Bristol putting the finishing touches to her dissertation. Although she also has a written project and exams later this year too, so it’s going to be a busy time for her.

She’s continuing with her volunteering as a visitor information/education guide at Bristol Zoo, which she’s really enjoying. She was given her officially Zoo polo shirt and jumper recently and was so excited with them (although it’s a size small but is enormous on her 😂 )

She’s also very busy looking for new accommodation for next year as she’s got a conditional offer for a molecular neuroscience masters degree. So, hopefully, she will continue in education next year and then leave Bristol with her undergraduate degree in Biology and a masters in Neuroscience 🤞 . Her current housemates are all hoping to continue in some form at Bristol next year too, unfortunately their landlord is hoping to sell their current house so they now have to find a new home for their final year.

How is everyone else getting on with their current degree? Hopefully, all are enjoying more freedom to go out and getting more in person teaching finally too. Does anyone have plans for next year, either starting their careers or continuing in education? Good luck again to all for the last part, or for the continuation, of their degrees xx
Brilliant news! Georgia must be thrilled!

I hope the house hunting goes well!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Happy new year! so glad it is all going well for Georgia.

Both mine took gap years in the end , so my 21 year old is in second year and will be heading for a 3rd year placement in Germany at the University of Bonn next year. A bit of an exciting adventure for her.

My 19 year old is in first year of a 4 year pharmacology course leading to her masters ... and has found a house share for next year.. Nice to be done and dusted on that one... she's hoping to do well in her exams as this years results determine eligibility for 3rd year placement choices.
I love Germany (my DS was born there!) so I think your DD will have a fab time!

Well done on your 19yo finding her house for next year! Sounds like a lot of work for her to get the best results for her placements!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bella Girl View Post

Not really much fun to have exams just after Christmas! Does she finish this year?

Index of my trip reports
Old 12 Jan 22, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

DS has been on the move! He finished his exams on 15/12 and flew to Vancouver on 16/12 for 2 weeks (His best friend is from there!) Then on 30/12 he flew to LA. He has an exchange term at the University of Southern California. He is in a flat with the other exchange students about a15 minute walk from the campus.

Over the weekend he managed a NBA game (again a 15m walk) and a hike upto the Hollywood sign. Yesterday he saw one of the space shuttles! His classes have started but are online this week! That doesn’t seem to be stopping him🤣

I am hoping to go out to see him at the end of February as I haven’t seen him since the beginning of September.

Over summer he will be in London as he has an internship. If we are lucky he may be home for a week between finishing in LA and starting his internship! He is a busy boy.

He still has his final year to do!
Old 12 Jan 22, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
DS has been on the move! He finished his exams on 15/12 and flew to Vancouver on 16/12 for 2 weeks (His best friend is from there!) Then on 30/12 he flew to LA. He has an exchange term at the University of Southern California. He is in a flat with the other exchange students about a15 minute walk from the campus.

Over the weekend he managed a NBA game (again a 15m walk) and a hike upto the Hollywood sign. Yesterday he saw one of the space shuttles! His classes have started but are online this week! That doesn’t seem to be stopping him🤣

I am hoping to go out to see him at the end of February as I haven’t seen him since the beginning of September.

Over summer he will be in London as he has an internship. If we are lucky he may be home for a week between finishing in LA and starting his internship! He is a busy boy.

He is very busy! Sounds like a great time, and study in different places must be so broadening as everywhere has a different slant on just about any subject.

DD is really looking forward to Germany to learn about the works of Marx from the point of view of those at the place he studied.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Magic Mouse
Imagineer

Mobile

DD has her final day at her teaching placement tomorrow. She’s been in a year 5 class and has absolutely loved it. Her mentor teacher has been really helpful, she’s going to be very sad to finish.

She is arranging to go back for a couple of sessions to observe the younger children as her dissertation is based on outdoor learning in the foundation phase.

She now has a few months of lectures, with some essays, a presentation and her dissertation to complete so it’s going to be a busy time for her.

She will also have to start looking for jobs for September, they have all been told to be prepared for supply work to start but it would be amazing if she could get something a bit more long term.

Good luck to everyone, it’s been a very strange three years for them.
Orlando/Indian Shores - Aug 14 Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 16
Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 18
Magic Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post

What a fantastic opportunity your son is having, such an amazing trip. I do hope you manage to get out to see him (and the sights there too 😃 )

It will be good to be able to see him during the summer too when he’s in the UK, either by him coming over to France or you could visit him here in the UK.