Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Jan 22, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I don’t love Facebook but I do belong to our Local Village FB group and they regularly advertise local meet-ups and different groups that you can join. It might be worth seeing if you have one that you could join. Sending you big hugs xx
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 22, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
TinselAngel
Imagineer

TinselAngel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Hi Margaret - some great ideas there - just wondering if you have local free newspapers ? I’m not sure if you get those in London, but the small ads often list meetings etc. there’s usually a ‘what’s on’ kind of guide too.

POFQ Dec 2006, Mar 2008, Oct 2009, Oct 2014
Dibb Villas : Mar 2009, Aug 2009, Xmas 2009 Dec 2010, Oct 2011, July 2013, July 2014, Xmas 2014, July 2015, Aug 2017, Jan 2018, Oct 18, OKW:Summer 2012, Beach Club:Oct 2015,July 2017. AKL:Oct 2019
TinselAngel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 22, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Here in Essex we have a company that arranged coach trips to London, to see shows, concerts and other events. I’ve done quite a few on my own because it’s nice to be surrounded by people, have a chat, sit together in the theatre etc. It’s safe as well for solo women rather than getting home by train. You might find something similar in your area.

If you can swim what about joining something like an aquarobics class ? Our leisure centre runs a few in the evenings, and we laugh so much trying to do the impossible moves.

Take care.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 22, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

Have a look at the WI? Some are the stereotypical jam and Jerusalem ones but there are many forward thinking ones with a big range of ages who do all sorts of fun things. They are all ran at a local level under the WI umbrella so you could try a few until you find one that suits you. Some afternoon ones attract more retired age groups, evening ones appeal to all ages. I know some people say evenings are the loneliest, but for my mam, she doesn’t like going out in the evenings, especially dark ones. Since the pandemic there have been a number of virtual WIs set up too so you can join from home if you’d rather. Once you find one you like, you really can do as much or as little as you like. Some people join both an in person and a virtual one. I joined when a new one was set up in my area 4 years ago, I’m on the committee and love it. We do dine outs, restaurant trips, afternoon teas, theatre trips etc.
If you google join WI, there is a postcode checker to find your closest.

Edited at 11:31 PM.
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 22, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
Here in Essex we have a company that arranged coach trips to London, to see shows, concerts and other events. I’ve done quite a few on my own because it’s nice to be surrounded by people, have a chat, sit together in the theatre etc. It’s safe as well for solo women rather than getting home by train.

If you can swim what about joining something like an aquarobics class ? Our leisure centre runs a few in the evenings, and we laugh so much trying to do the impossible moves.

Take care.
Another vote for aquarobics but you don't even have to be able to swim for a lot of them.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 22, 12:40 AM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

We have a weekly group video chat with my friend who also lost her sole mate too soon (57).She says the routine fills an evening & seeing faces makes it less lonely than a phone call. 2 years on she is venturing out to do things they loved ( shows/concerts) with friends. During our video chats we choose a recipe & each of us makes it rating our skills the following week.Sometimes the video chat is done while one of us is cleaning the kitchen/ironing & we rate their household skills. He promised he'd haunt us if she didn't get on with living her best life and we are trying to uphold his request. Miss him dearly. It's taken many months to get to this stage & grief is a path we all travel figuring our new life as we go along. Take care & be kind to yourself xx.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 22, 01:03 AM  
Link to this Post
FloridaNuts93
Imagineer

Sorry to hear this. What part of London are you in?

SEE OUR VILLA AT:www.ospreyhouseorlando.com. Luxury five bed/four bath villa with extra large (40 ft) pool overlooking conservation area. Also includes games room.

License number: DWE 4514584
FloridaNuts93 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 22, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Hi Margaret 🥰 do you have any pets? A lap cat or small dog might be wonderful company especially in the evenings? I am so sorry you are going through this xx

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 22, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Sending hugs. If I still lived in London I would be happy to meet up with you.

There used to be Dibbmeets in London sometimes, maybe time for one soon?
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 22, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Gev
Imagineer

There are some great suggestions mentioned, Margaret. I hope some of them appeal to you. My mum used to say the evenings were the worst time for her. In her youth she loved writing to pen friends and we found a Christian pen friend web site where she found about 8 people to correspond with and is still in touch with some of them 15 years later. While she found reading novels hard to concentrate on at times, she found she like audio books.
It might be helpful for you to write a diary or journal each day, or as often as you felt like. Sometimes it really does help writing down feelings and experiences that no one else will ever read, but often marshals your own thoughts and feelings. And we’re all always here for you, too. Sending you a massive hug xx