Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 7 Aug 19, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
fillmore
Trying for More Ears

From Chicago to LA by car and train - Day 14 - Radiator Springs here we come

The day had finally arrived when we would be going to Radiator Springs! This was DS’s all time favourite film when he was younger and we have so many memories attached to this film. A few months before we visited Disney introduced max pass at Disneyland which meant for a $10 fee per person you could book fastpasses using your phone. This caused a bit of outrage on the internet but I was happy dancing as I knew this way we’d be guaranteed to get on RSR without queuing for fastpasses.

I dragged DH and DS out of bed and we arrived at the entrance just after 8am. Sorting out the max passes at City Hall took a while but finally we had them and with our RSR fastpass booked for a few hours time we (or rather I) could relax and soak up the Main Street atmosphere. We also managed to get DS down for Jedi training in the afternoon

We then left Disneyland and walked over to California Adventure. I’d seen photos and Youtube clips about Cars Land but I was still blown away by the theming. It really was as if you were in the film.

The attention to detail was amazing. Photopass was included with Max Pass so we had a few photopass photos outside Flo’s. Normally me and DH don’t like having photos taken but we were both caught up in the magic! Then we made our way over to RSR. Even the fastpass queue was long but it gave you a chance to take in all the theming. RSR was awesome. We were Disney newbies and I think this is what converted DH. We’ve since been to Disneyland Paris and Legoland Windsor and DH now compares everything to Disneyland in California. I’m hoping our WDW trip in 2021 finally meets his benchmark standards!

RSR really was stunning, I actually gasped at the waterfall section as the music struck up as well and it was so immersive. We all loved the ride and DS was buzzing. We had brunch at Flo’s diner, can’t remember what we had but we all enjoyed it. After brunch we wandered around Cars Land and DS and I went on Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree.

Lightning McQueen made an appearance too so we had some more photopasses. DS kept saying “It’s just like Arizona, it’s just like Route 66” and I was really glad he’d seen the real version first. The section of Route 66 we drove along had the Burma Shave signs on the roadside and Cars Land had their own version of this too.

We reluctantly left Cars Land but knew we’d be back to see it in the evening. We exited the park via the Paradise Pier area. DS had a few goes on the games there and was stunned that he didn’t win anything! This section really is beautiful. All the way leading up to the trip DS had been talking about going on California Screamin’. Thankfully when we were there he no longer mentioned it. Maybe seeing it in real life made him think twice. After a busy morning we headed back to the hotel for a rest and a swim.

When we got back to the parks we headed straight over to Jedi training. It felt a bit strange leaving DS on his own with all the other Padawans. DH and I found some seats and sat back to watch the show. We really enjoyed it and so did DS. He got to fight Darth Vader and Kylo Ren and the Seventh Sister were there too. After Jedi training we went to the Star Wars meet and greet where DH got to meet Boba Fett. He had a very happy face after that as Boba Fett is his favourite character. We just had time to have a ride on Big Thunder Mountain before heading back to Cars Land. This was DS’s first proper rollercoaster ride so I wasn’t sure how he’d react. As we got to the front of the line a teenager was gibbering with fear at the end of her ride which wasn’t a great beginning. However, he loved it so all was well. On the way to Cars Land we caught part of the Pixar Parade so we sat and watched that for a bit. DH was really impressed with the quality of the parade.

We had secured a fastpass for RSR once it was dark so headed back to Cars Land so we could see the lights turn on. Whenever the Sh-boom song came on during Cars when DS was little I had to dance with him in that section so to see it happen and hear the song was all a bit too much and I got a bit emotional and had to wander off and have a little cry. I must have been really subtle as DH and DS didn’t even realise what was happening! DS was beginning to get hangry and only wanted a hot dog. There was nowhere in Cars Land that sold hot dogs so I wandered all around trying to find a hot dog cart. I found one eventually but it took a while. Cars land at night was just as stunning. DJ rolled up and all the children had a dance party which DS took part in as well. Before we left we used our fastpass to ride RSR in the dark. I’d definitely recommend riding in daylight as well as night. What a great ride.

After a long and emotional day we headed back to the HoJo around 9pm. There was no way we were going to last until the fireworks but we still had one more day to use on our 3-day pass so we would do it then. Looking back, I can’t believe how much we did that day (or how much I can remember!) DS was only 7 then so he did really well to cope with the pace.

Tomorrow: Goofy’s Kitchen and leaving for Newport Beach
Old 7 Aug 19, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
KayLouise
Very Serious Dibber

What a lovely day, Cars land looks brilliant. I can't wait for my ds to see it.
KayLouise is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

I'm so glad I stumbled across this report today. We're hoping to drive Route 66 next year, so it has been great for me to read all about your adventures. Amazing scenery, I can't wait to see it all for myself.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
fillmore
Trying for More Ears

Route 66 was amazing. Have you seen Billy Connolly's series on it too?
Old 19 Aug 19, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by fillmore View Post
Route 66 was amazing. Have you seen Billy Connolly's series on it too?
Yes, that was one of the first things we did when we decided we were going! I’m constantly searching the internet for new blogs as well. 😁

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

Have thoroughly enjoyed your trip report so far. I found it searching for Monument Valley posts, which I suppose got dropped from your final itinerary. I am sure you will love WDW when you visit.

I have pause for thought about the Chicago/ train idea now...

Thanks for sharing your holiday x