Notices

Old 2 Jan 21, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Washington DC and Williamsburg 2022

I have been thinking about a trip to Williamsburg for a couple of years as I wanted to try out Busch Gardens and Kings Dominion.

That virus wiped out the vague plan I had for last year so I have bitten the bullet and booked a flight as Virgin had a sale and they have given the reassurance of changing flights if needed.

So far I have booked PE return Heathrow to Washington DC in the middle of June.
Not sure what will happen about the vaccine - will it be a requirement or not so that may scupper the plan as in group 9.

Still pondering on how to get to Heathrow, driving up is fine but after a night flight the drive back to Devon is horrible.

I have 2 nights in DC at the start and have booked the Hyatt Regency, Capitol Hill for £290. A bit more than I planned but it is refundable so will check for better deals but it looks really central.

I have booked 4 nights in Williamsburg, I have timeshare points so this was done through them and can be cancelled if needed.

I haven't decided what to do on my last night yet, may return to DC or stay near Kings Dominion.

I have never driven in the US, usually enjoy the rest from driving but as I have been working from home since March I can't use that excuse. So I am trying to build up my confidence to drive from DC (though not in DC) down to Williamsburg which looks easy.

I have a list of places I want to visit:
Washington monument; Capitol building; Lincoln memorial; Library of Congress; Smithsonian air and space museum for starters.

I also plan to visit the historical sites in Williamsburg and if I have a car a little more.

Update on trip
So 2 nights booked at the Washington Hilton for £255 so need to cram as much in as possible.
Booked the Amtrak for $11 from Union Station to Richmond and then will jump into an uber to the airport to pick up my car.
Never driven in the US before but 6 days car hire through BA was £352. Will drive to Williamsburg as staying at the Historic Powhatan resort for 6 nights.

3 day ticket for BG for £65, can't complain about that.

Edited at 10:15 PM. Reason: updated
lizzie145 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 21, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Sounds amazing! Did Washington many years ago (previous life) and went to Williamsburg living museum - is that still a place? If so can recommend - I’ve been a fan of peanut soup (and corn bread) ever since and the recipe book I bought there is one of my favourites- and I don’t even like peanuts that much!
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 21, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

ive not heard of peanut soup - I will look out for it
Old 19 Mar 21, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

We did DC, Williamsburg and Virginia Beach 2 years ago and loved the area. So much to see and do.
Glee Fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 21, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
The Yankee Candle shop in Williamsburg is amazing. The Kate Spade shop in premium outlets often has great reductions. We really like the BG there as well.

Have a look at the Hotel Harrington in D.C. We’ve always stayed there as the location can’t be beat (for our plans). Few mins walk to Smithsonian, Ford Theatre, Spy Museum, White House, Capitol bldg etc. It is a basic, old hotel but adequate for a short stay. Nice restaurant etc. We like Georgetown (Uber) & it fun to do a boat tour down the Potomac - if you have time. You can visit George Washington’s home & see the Pentagon en route. We once saw Air Force One flying over our boat, accompanied by helicopters!
disneywiseowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 21, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

We have booked Washington DC and WIlliamsburg as part of our hopefully upcoming fly drive.

For Washington we'd like to do some of the museums and monuments, and see how it goes. We've got 4 whole days there and I saw a suggested itinerary in the Washington DC Top 10 Eyewitness Book, so this may be a good starting point.

We've only booked Williamsburg for 3 nights or 2 whole days so will probably want to stick to historical sites and skip Busch Gardens.

There's a Dibber SleepingBeauty, who lives in Virginia, so they may be able to add some insight.

Edited at 09:53 PM.
tocpe321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 21, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Just a thought. I think you’ll struggle to fit all your D.C. itinerary into 1 full day & 2 part days Those museums are really big! You might wish you’d planned more time there so maybe spend your last night in D.C. ?
disneywiseowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 21, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

If you are flying into Dulles, then the Hazy centre in the edge of the airport is a truly world class aviation museum in its own right, particularly if you like German stuff. Enola Gay is also there.

Admission is free.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 21, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

so this trip has been postponed as the flight has been cancelled.
Old 24 May 21, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Sorry lizzie145.

Anything else in the pipeline?