Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 6 Nov 21, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Abby, your pumpkin pie looks just like in the pictures!

I've ordered cornmeal with my Tesco shop that's coming today so we'll see if it arrives. My pumpkin puree came from Sainsburys.

I made stuffing from scratch last year and it was awful, just tasted of stock so this year I am giving this a go:

Apparently 'If it's not Stove Top, it's not Thanksgiving' Normally I am a bit of a snob about things that come from a packet but they do seem to love that in the US.

Having had Pumpkin Cheesecake last year I think we're going to have a pecan one this year so to incorporate pumpkin into our menu still I'm going to make soup:

thesaltymarshmallow/easy-pumpkin-soup/
Wow! That soup looks amazing I think we might have pecan pie too (Adam has requested either this or apple pie). I completely cheat and buy pre-made stuffing balls but that stuffing mix looks fab.

If I see the spiced nuts a at Morrison’s I will let you know, they were just delicious. Michelle xx
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 21, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SleepingBeauty View Post
Brits celebrating Thanksgiving! This is surprising. But it warms my heart, thank you.
Most Dibbers are obsessed with everything American, so adopting Thanksgiving is a fairly easy thing for us!
Old 9 Nov 21, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Annoyingly I couldn't find cornmeal or pumpkin puree in tesco yesterday. The only polenta I could find was cooked. So looks like I'll be ordering off amazon as I really want to try out that cornbread recipe.
its probably in the caribbean section of tesco/asda/sainsburys/etc. from memory you can get both cornmeal and polenta in that section, but polenta is just a more coarsely ground cornmeal anyway, so you can probably swap them out in a recipe...
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 21, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
This looks gorgeous! I too love tiramisu. You always have the cleverest ideas. I have been on the hunt for the spiced nuts you used in your bark last year but Morrisons didn't have them last week. Fingers crossed they appear soon!
Hello! I was in Morrison’s today and found these, they aren’t the same flavour as last year but I opened them (for tasting purposes only ) and they are delicious. They would be nice to make chocolate bark with but I think they would be amazing in chocolate brownies too.

Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 21, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

As Wanye says cornmeal is usually in the world foods aisle in Tesco, usually right on the bottom shelf , with the basmati and thai rice , it is dead cheap I think I paid less than a £ for it.

I add actual sweetcorn to mine and DH finds it dry without, I would like to try jalapenos but DH hates them

I also make biscuits and gravy , but I know that is not a favourite for all.

Although I do like to make my own pastry for pumpkin pie , if you are in a hurry the Jane Asher shortcrust pastry mix in Home bargains is fab and at 85p a pack ( its dry) it is literally a bargain and great to have for last minute.

I have already made Pumpkin pie last month as I usually get the tin of puree from Waitrose

I have never tried green bean casserole but may give it a try this year, stove top stuffing is in my eyes 100% better that Paxo but DH thinks it a little too 'cakey'

I have just started following Pioneer woman on Insta , I used to watch her on TV but she has some lovely food ideas and I love the bright colours of her home and her dishes, which I will be checking out in Walmart in December ( fingers crossed)

Edited at 04:46 PM.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 21, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Thanks for the tip to look in the Caribbean section. I will hunt out the corn meal!

As a last resort then I can get it from Amazon but it was way more expensive than that.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.

Edited at 08:27 PM.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 21, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

It looks like this but they do one which is a bit more coarse as well

Looks like it 65p on rollback in ASDA

Edited at 07:52 PM.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 21, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post

It looks like this but they do one which is a bit more coarse as well

Looks like it 65p on rollback in ASDA
Thank you. The one I put in my basket on Amazon is £4.99 for 500g! So that's way better value. We have an Asda about 10 miles away so I could go there this weekend if I can't find it at Tesco.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 02:42 AM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
Hello! I was in Morrison’s today and found these, they aren’t the same flavour as last year but I opened them (for tasting purposes only ) and they are delicious. They would be nice to make chocolate bark with but I think they would be amazing in chocolate brownies too.

Ooo these do sound nice! I don't often go to Morrisons but it's on my way to work so popping in to pick them up is no bother. Thank you for updating me

Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post
As Wanye says cornmeal is usually in the world foods aisle in Tesco, usually right on the bottom shelf , with the basmati and thai rice , it is dead cheap I think I paid less than a £ for it.

I add actual sweetcorn to mine and DH finds it dry without, I would like to try jalapenos but DH hates them

I also make biscuits and gravy , but I know that is not a favourite for all.

Although I do like to make my own pastry for pumpkin pie , if you are in a hurry the Jane Asher shortcrust pastry mix in Home bargains is fab and at 85p a pack ( its dry) it is literally a bargain and great to have for last minute.

I have already made Pumpkin pie last month as I usually get the tin of puree from Waitrose

I have never tried green bean casserole but may give it a try this year, stove top stuffing is in my eyes 100% better that Paxo but DH thinks it a little too 'cakey'

I have just started following Pioneer woman on Insta , I used to watch her on TV but she has some lovely food ideas and I love the bright colours of her home and her dishes, which I will be checking out in Walmart in December ( fingers crossed)
I LOVE the Pioneer Woman, I followed her when all she had was a blog with pretty pictures. Her mashed potatoes are heavenly. I'm thinking of trying

I'm thinking of trying these Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Rolls of hers for Thanksgiving breakfast but baking isn't my skillset and I am nervous about proving the dough

thepioneerwoman/food...innamon-rolls/
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
I love Ree - The Pioneer Woman as well! 💝 Her Christmas Specials are fantastic and her chocolate bark recipes are out of this world!

Not completely Thanksgiving related but I saw these tortilla chips at M&S and they reminded me of a chocolate dipped crisp snack that she does, so I had to buy them.

The pumpkin spiced tiramisu was lovely but way too sweet for either of us. I used an American recipe and I should have just halved (or less) the sugar, even Adam who is a total dessert fan said all the sugar hurt his teeth. I’m going to try pecan pie next. Xx