Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 31 Dec 21, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDante
Trainee Dibber

Veganuary

Is anyone trying it this year?

There are so many great reasons to give it a try, from being healthier to better for the animals and environment.

If you sign up via veganuary/ you can get a free recipe book and emails with tips and swaps.

Has anyone got any good vegan recipes or tips of their own?
DisneyDante is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 21, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

I used this pate recipe on Christmas day

fullofplants/vegan-pate/

It was really good and enjoyed by all the meat eaters too.
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 21, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
tinkerliz
Excited about Disney

I have been vegan for 6 years now (starting veganuary in 2016) and it was the best choice I ever made!

If you ever want to chat about it please feel free to send me a DM 😊

My main tip would be to be kind to yourself and don’t worry if you make a mistake! Ensure you are eating enough and have plenty of vegan snacks in to avoid any meat/dairy cravings in the first few weeks especially.

The veganuary website has some amazing recipes which are simple and easy to make

DLP - Sequoia Lodge - May 2019
WDW POP Century + Universal Aventura - March 2022
DLP - Newport Bay - January 2023
WDW POP Cenury - September 2023
tinkerliz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 21, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
tinkerliz
Excited about Disney

Another tip to keep things simple is to think of things you usually eat and then just make vegan versions of those

E.g vegan fajitas, pasta, burgers, risotto, Sunday roast, shepherds pie, stir fry, curry etc 😃

DLP - Sequoia Lodge - May 2019
WDW POP Century + Universal Aventura - March 2022
DLP - Newport Bay - January 2023
WDW POP Cenury - September 2023
tinkerliz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 21, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Merligan
Very Serious Dibber

Merligan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Been vegan for 2 years now and enjoy researching recipes and trying new things. The only thing I miss is cheese, honestly tasty is the best substitute I have found so far.

The YouTube channel for wicked kitchen has some brilliant recipes and I also like the domestic gothess on Instagram.

My favourite recipe book is vegan ish by Jack Monroe.

Really looking forward to seeing all the new stuff that will be in the supermarkets in January, 😁
Dibb Villa July 2012 Dibb Villa Sep 2013
Dibb Villa Sandy Ridge March 2015
Merligan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 22, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDante
Trainee Dibber

Some of the new Veganuary launches look awesome. I can't wait to try:
- The McPlant Burger
- The new Subways
- Vegan Babybel
- Krispy Kremes

I'm sure there will be more announced throughout the month too. I'll try and share my thoughts as and when I try them as well as any recipes I try!
DisneyDante is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 22, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

My son has been vegan for 3 years and I try to do vegan days a few times a week.
I love how much choice there is out there now apart from some places (Burger King I’m looking at you..) cook their vegan stuff on the same grill as the meat patties so they need to up their game on that!
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 22, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
MamatoFelix
VIP Dibber

We are a plant based household. I agree with keeping it simple, I think a lot of people assume veganism is difficult or expensive because they look at overly complicated recipes or expensive meat alternatives but it doesn’t have to be either. Some of our favourites are spaghetti bolognese with plant based mince or red lentil ragu or curry or stew with lots of veggies like butternut squash, sweet potato, carrots and spinach 😊

Vegan ish is also one of my favourite books that has super easy affordable and quick recipes. I make the cheese sauce (best vegan cheese sauce ever!) and aubergine pasta regularly.

Some of our favourite products…

- Applewood vegan smoky cheese (melts well, use for Mac and cheese, toasties)
- The Tofoo Co tofu (this tofu doesn’t need pressing it’s super firm add to anything as you would with chicken e.g curry, fajita’s)
- Richmond meat free sausages (bangers and mash, spicy sausage pasta)
- Oatly is by far our favourite milk alternative for everyday use and the alpro my cuppa soya milk is my favourite for coffee and tea
California, Arizona and Nevada - 19
MamatoFelix is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 22, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

I’ve been vegetarian for 40 years and DD17 has been vegetarian for about five years. Every week there’s something new to try in the supermarkets and I’ve noticed most is vegan rather than vegetarian. You don’t have to spend a fortune, Lidl and Aldi have some really good stuff and the choice in our local Tesco is fantastic.

Edited at 11:32 PM.
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 22, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
MamatoFelix
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ScoopsAhoy View Post
I love how much choice there is out there now apart from some places (Burger King I’m looking at you..) cook their vegan stuff on the same grill as the meat patties so they need to up their game on that!
Just to add to this, Burger King has the vegan royale which is certified by the vegan society. There are no animal products in the plant whopper but if cross contamination is an issue then obviously steer clear. The OP also mentioned the McDonald’s Mcplant which is also vegan certified 🌱
California, Arizona and Nevada - 19
MamatoFelix is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List