Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 8 Jan 22, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
update I can’t cook beef help!

I went to the pub last week and had tender roast beef, it was well done and cut easily. I want to cook a joint of beef but mines always tough, I don’t want it pink. I want to roast it low for a long time and then do the veg and potato’s. I can cook lamb, chicken, gammon but not beef, can you give me a easy recipe please.

Post 31 update

Edited at 08:06 PM.
Sandra & co is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 22, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Slow cooker? An inch of gravy in bottom of pot for initial steam.

Resting is important. (No…NOT you) 😂

Use juices in oven for veg.

Disney332
Old 8 Jan 22, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
Slow cooker? An inch of gravy in bottom of pot for initial steam.

Resting is important. (No…NOT you) 😂

Use juices in oven for veg.

Disney332
How long cooking for? if it’s about 2kg. I have to go buy it first so what should I buy? and so Resting is the answer, I could rest while it’s cooking I was eating my lovely beef last week and thinking why can’t I cook this?
Old 8 Jan 22, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

I agree with slow cooker, if you don't like pink beef then really you need to slow cook it.
I do my slow beef for 4 hours on medium in the slow cooker and then take it out and wrap it in foil to sit for a little while.
some stock in the slow cooker and you will get lovely gravy .
You can sear it in a frying pan first if you like it to look roasted, it won't alter the taste it just looks more like a roasted joint when you sear it first.
If I do a joint of beef in the oven I roast it on 180 degrees for about an hour then take it out and wrap it in foil to rest, it's pink in the middle but but I like it like that and it's usually tender when cooked pink.
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 22, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
I went to the pub last week and had tender roast beef, it was well done and cut easily. I want to cook a joint of beef but mines always tough, I don’t want it pink. I want to roast it low for a long time and then do the veg and potato’s. I can cook lamb, chicken, gammon but not beef, can you give me a easy recipe please.
A girl after my own heart! I’ve cooked beef successfully twice in my entire life. All the rest of the time I could have turned it into a pair of shoes.
Old 8 Jan 22, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
How long cooking for? if it’s about 2kg. I have to go buy it first so what should I buy? and so Resting is the answer, I could rest while it’s cooking I was eating my lovely beef last week and thinking why can’t I cook this?
I would look up the timing for slow cooking a joint that big, mine are about 1kg. brisket is really nice slow cooked if you can find a nice lean one, otherwise topside or silverside would be good.
Lindaelaine is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 22, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

For my money brisket…it has fat through it which provides flavour and helps moisten.

If i had a 2 pm lunch, I would start it about 6 am on medium, then low when it slips of the knife i stick in it. I would wrap it in tin foil for 15/30 mins before carving. (While husband cleans the slow cooker)

The remaining juice is used as a basis for gravy.

Yum

Disney332
Old 8 Jan 22, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Originally Posted by CarolynU View Post
A girl after my own heart! I’ve cooked beef successfully twice in my entire life. All the rest of the time I could have turned it into a pair of shoes.
This is me, I can cook leg of lamb beautifully and bung it in the oven for 3 hours uncovering for the last half a hour.
Maybe I’ll just get lamb
Old 8 Jan 22, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Just found this Sandra .

Sear the beef all over in a hot pan, and transfer to the slow cooker. Add the beef stock, ensuring that the beef is mostly covered by the liquid. Cook on low for 5 hours, or high for 3 hours. Once cooked, remove the beef from the slow cooker and cover with foil to keep warm.
Edited to add, to make sure it's not pink I would add on an hour to these timings

Edited at 03:00 PM.
Old 8 Jan 22, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Pookie3101
Imagineer

Pookie3101's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

I always slow cook a beef joint too. I add whole carrots, onion and celery to the bottom, sear the joint and put on top of the veg, add a small amount of water and an oxo cube, then cook on low for a about 4 hours. I rest the joint after cooking for up to an hour, wrapping it in tin foil and then a tea towel for up to an hour. I make gravy from the liquid by adding some gravy granules or cornflour to thicken.

DLP NBC - 2008, DLP SL- 2009, DLP SL, 2010.
AKL - 2014, POR - 2016
Pookie3101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List