Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 Jan 22, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Lilpickle08
slightly serious Dibber

Help me decide! GLA to MLB or LHR to MCO?

In a quandry with August flights.

We live near Leeds but flights from Manchester are silly prices so looking at either Glasgow to Melbourne with Tui or Heathrow to Orlando with United.

There's pros and cons with each - Glasgow is a bit further but not by much. Melbourne requires a transfer to Orlando and we're not doing a package so won't have transfers included - so may have to hire a car. BUT, we should be quicker through the airport than MCO.

London will probably require a hotel stop the night before departure as will Glasgow.

Tui gives us the option of 2 weeks however with United we could go for longer (although we are a bit skint... but, you know, tempting... ).

Argghhh what to do?!

Both similar prices so that's not a consideration!
Lilpickle08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

For the same price, I would take MCO over MLB any day. You might get through MLB immigration faster but by the time you pick up a hire car and drive to Orlando, you've lost all that saved time compared to arriving at MCO. From your other thread, I know you weren't planning to hire a car anyway so I don't see much advantage to MLB tbh.

FWIW, I hit a pretty full immigration hall with not many desks open in November (Thanksgiving weekend) and was still at MDE in under an hour. But as the United flights will be indirect, you'd clear immigration at your layover and be straight out into baggage claim at MCO anyway.

Edited at 06:54 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
lynne
New Poster (5)

Hi we had same query - choosing between MLB and TUI and MCO and United - we went with Tui - no magical express at MCO anymore and indirect flights with babies so went for direct flight - about the same price both from Scotland.

Was worried about car hire seeing the prices but car hire off airport at MLB was much cheaper.

Such limited flights and high prices limiting options just now but after 2 years of cancelled Florida holidays these appear to be the only two real choices

Lynne
lynne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Lilpickle08
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by lynne View Post
Hi we had same query - choosing between MLB and TUI and MCO and United - we went with Tui - no magical express at MCO anymore and indirect flights with babies so went for direct flight - about the same price both from Scotland.

Was worried about car hire seeing the prices but car hire off airport at MLB was much cheaper.

Such limited flights and high prices limiting options just now but after 2 years of cancelled Florida holidays these appear to be the only two real choices

Lynne
Yeah I think I'd do the same with babies, our 2 are teens so the indirects aren't a problem really.
Lilpickle08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 06:40 AM  
Link to this Post
tartangirl
Helping Minnie

I wish TUI had stuck with Sanford!

MLB is a long drive, especially when you’ve spent the day travelling. You’d also have to leave early for return due to the possibilities of delay.

If you lived in Glasgow then I would see more of an argument but given where you stay I would go indirect to MCO every time
tartangirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I would always take LHR and regard the overnight before as a part of the vacation. You could tie in the nearby Harry Potter Studios.. or Brooklands (amazing if you like racing cars and bikes, aircraft, history and similar), Chessington or Thorpe if you so wished.

A night at the rather good Prem Inn Bath Rd will be around £45, but I guess that parking at Glasgow will cost more than Purple with free shuttles from right next to the Bath Rd Premier Inn. Thus, I reckon you may even break even.

Having hopefully then broken even or close, on arrival and later coming home, MCO is a short hop whilst Melbourne an ordeal. You may not even need a car if using MCO, depending on your other plans whilst there.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by lynne View Post

Lynne
where did you hire your car from off airport at melbourne?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 22, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Happy365
Earning More Ears

Have you had a look at flights from Edinburgh to see if anything suits?
If you’re thinking of coming up from Manchester to Glasgow, Edinburgh isn’t going to make a huge difference to your travel time.
Happy365 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 22, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Maret
Earning More Ears

I’ve used virgin car hire only for car hire Melbourne airport this June, flying with tui premium economy
Maret is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 22, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
clairenutter
Apprentice Imagineer

Have you considered going via Dublin Aer Lingus and do immigration there? a I am pretty sure you can fly Manchester - Dublin. Aclaireytale did that on her most recent trip.

Claire x
California - Sheraton Disneyland 04
DLP - Hotel Cheyenne 05
clairenutter is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List