Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Jan 22, 12:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
sons car insurane

Its bit of a long one but please help if you can .
I have many years no claims and have a 2009 2.0L mondeo
Im thinking about getting a new car but my son whos 19 would like my old one
So whats the cheapest way to insure him for that car while protecting my no claims .
I expect it might be he will just have to get a small car but by the time he pays that and insurance , it could work out the same as my old car which we know the history of
Lisbon is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 12:24 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Have you got any insurance quotes? I suspect for a first car the insurance will be ridiculously high for a 2l car even if it is fairly old .

Also if he’s the main driver the policy will need to be in his own name, though you can of course be a named driver on the policy.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 04:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

As DB says if you son is the main driver he needs to policy in his own name, the policy has generated the NCB is your policy assigned to you not the car and a 2.0 for a newbie I reckon would be higher than the cost of a half decent 1.0 car and the insurance.

There is no cheap way of getting teenagers insured.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
pinkandfluffy
Very Serious Dibber

We have a multi-car policy so the kids have their own policy within it, however my son is 21 with 3 years no claims and my daughter is 20 with 2 years no claims. I found after the first year, prices came down dramatically. The first year was eye wateringly high, especially for my son who only had a 1.2l runabout.
pinkandfluffy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

He’ll be just as cheap, if not cheaper, getting insurance in his own name. Insurance companies woke up long ago to parents insuring kids to get cheaper insurance and hiked premiums to match. Don’t be put off with the car, get quotes. My son had an i10, which he replaced with a two seater convertible. His insurance went down. It’s all down to risk perception. Thousands of youngsters drive small cars with low powered engines which lead to a lot of insurance claims for that type of car. Fewer drive larger or more powerful cars, hence less claims, so sometimes they throw up decently priced quotes.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Thanks everyone
His is coming in at £1200
I don't remember when I 1st got my license insurance bring do high but that was a long time ago
Lisbon is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lisbon View Post
Thanks everyone
I don't remember when I 1st got my license insurance bring do high but that was a long time ago
That's a good price for car insurance on a first car, especially one with such a large engine. I think I was paying similar to than that on a 1.4L Rover Metro when I passed my test over 20 years ago!
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lisbon View Post
Thanks everyone
I think prices have gone up a lot even with inflation I think it’s a lot more expensive but I think that my insurance now is far cheaper in comparison to what my dads was when he was a middle aged flat cap driver with goodness knows how many years of NCB.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List