Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Closed Thread

Old 25 Jan 13, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
The Fatadder
Apprentice Imagineer

Used to really love this park,

Reading about it again reminds me of the family holiday as a child when after leaving river country that my dad managed to turn out of the car park and drive on the wrong side of the road towards on coming traffic, with my uncle following in the car behind...
The Fatadder is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 13, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

I dont find these pictures spooky but they do make me feel very sad.

I get awful teary when I see videos of long gone rides etc... especially ones we loved like Horizons, World of Motion and the theme park Splendid China.

I try to think how lucky we were to have seen these amazing things but I still get a pain in my heart to know I wont be able to ride them again or see them again.

x
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 13, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
offtoseemickey
Imagineer

offtoseemickey's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 25
The photos and video(s) of how RC looks now really give me the creeps. I know there's no way I would have gone there if I went to WDW back then - I can't stand thee thought of unclean / natural lake water. Not being able to see the bottom means theres NO way I'm going in! EEEK!
offtoseemickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 13, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

These threads about RC always make me smile. We went back in 1976 after driving from NYC to Fort Wilderness Campground in our VW Camper van. Of course it was fantastic then. By 1990 on my next visit it was still fun but the water really was cold. I think everyone forgets how small it was and how far from the parking lot. It could never have coped with the kind of crowds Disney attracts now. You used to be able to swim from the beaches at FW and the hotels on Bay Lake as well but that stopped years ago. I can't imagine Disney ever letting people swim in lake water again.
Old 28 Feb 13, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafamily
Imagineer

don't know if the link to bing 3d map will work, it is on the shore line below discovery island

remembered my trip in 1999 being my first ever time to a water park and being in disney in usa seemed so awesome

bing/maps/default.asp...gzODAzNzQ5MDc=

sorry if link doesn't work
Jan 2012 – Disney Port Orleans Riverside
Sep 2012 – Hotel Cheyenne, Disneyland Resort Paris
Nov 2013 - Disney Port Orleans Riverside

Nov 2014 – Hotel Cheyenne, Disneyland Resort Paris
Feb 2016 - Disney Caribbean Beach Resort
floridafamily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 13, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
lardypops
Apprentice Imagineer

lardypops's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I remember it being freezing cold with green water - think we went just before it closed down
lardypops is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 13, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post

I remember there being an innocuous looking little slide but when you went down it the last part basically went straight down! It was only a few feet but caught out the unwary!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 13, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
moosha
VIP Dibber

Great thread

Originally Posted by Floridafan View Post
Anyway - since we are going down memory lane - who remembers Boardwalk and Baseball?
We went to Boardwalk and Baseball a good few times when I was young, I think my parents must have liked the old-fashioned fairground feel of it (plus it was probably a lot cheaper than another day at Disney.) All I remember is those freaky characters dressed up in baseball outfits, fairground stalls, candy floss and a big wooden roller coaster. What happened to B&B?

Originally Posted by rambocat1974 View Post
There is a great video I found on Youtube of RC in its current state which also overlays pictures of how it used to look!

Its called "the lonesome death of River Country".

Rob
Thanks for sharing that, it is a great video. I do find it creepy and sad, but love anything like that, it fascinates me (yes, I am a bit strange.)

I agree with lots of you that it seems very unsanitary and it obviously wouldn't work now but I'm amazed that Disney haven't redeveloped this area yet, being such a prime location
moosha is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 13, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Harry
Imagineer

Harry's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Think we went about 3 times to River Country over the years... first was in 88... used to love the place... always used to have a half day there along with a visit to Discovery Island... anyone remember that place?

"... he is moving like a TREMENDOUS machine... "
Harry is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 13, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Alibayparc
VIP Dibber

Hi
Many happy memories of RC.
First visit in 1990 and my sister warning my DW to cross her arms over her chest when coming down the 'Waterfall Sldes' if you didn't the top of your swimming costume came down/off exposing all.
DS also pointed out all the men who sat round the pool at this slide.
I also had a companion coming down one of the Flumes, an Armadillo,
which didn't bother me (naive) and when I mentioned to a life guard at the bottom it was panic all round and everybody out the lagoon.
Seemingly they bite and carry rabies.

The good old days
Just noticed a previous poster's accommodation list and it triggered another memory of my first visit, the Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate, it was an amazing first experience coming from the UK. Two huge beds and air conditioning.

It also took us over 4 hours to get to the motel from MCO, we were in Disney twice and the opposite end of the 192 at John Young PW. No Sat Nav then, poor maps and a terrible road junction 192W and entrance into Disney.

Needless to say my DW and I was not on speaking terms by the time we got there but by the time we got in the room we were so excited and happy again.

This was the start of an obsession with Disney and all things Florida.

Alex

Edited at 10:24 PM. Reason: additional info
Alibayparc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread