Notices
Tickets Theme Park Ticket questions and advice

Old 18 Feb 19, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

Upgrading to annual pass

Thinking ahead to 2020 and our proposed stay, at $25 per day, parking costs will mount up. This means that it might be worth upgrading to an AP. Is it possible to do that before the stay, or is it better to just buy the AP direct from Disney? We are planning to start our Disney trip with a few nights onsite, so ideally get free parking from day 1.

Secondly, if one of the party bought an AP direct, rather than upgrading, would the appropriate magic band etc be available at checkin to the resort?

Thanks
returnplanning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Hipstalike
Proud to wear my Ears

Hipstalike's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Can't answer all of your questions, but upgrading a ticket to an AP can only be done once you're there. There isn't really an advantage to upgrading instead of just outright buying an AP, unless you manage to get tickets at a discount without this discount being taking into account by the cast member that does the upgrade for you (i.e. them valuing your ticket higher than what you actually paid.) Apparently there is some luck involved there, so I've heard it said it's better to shop around for some quotes at different locations before doing the upgrade.

I'd say that if you plan on getting an AP anyway, it's easier to just get one because you'll know what you're in for budget-wise and you won't have to deal with the upgrading once you're there.

Edited at 10:17 AM.
Hipstalike is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

So the only advantage to doing it this way is if you have free dining as you have to buy the 14 day ticket for free dining. With regard to the parking side, if you purchase the AP in advance you get the parking fee for the first visit back as a gift card once you pick up your ticket. However that said the free AP parking is this at the hotels or just at the park? This suggests its just at the parks disneyworld.disney.go/en...lder-benefits/ which would mean actually you would still need to pay for hotel parking

Edited at 12:39 PM.
gismo1554 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Hipstalike
Proud to wear my Ears

Hipstalike's Reviews
Well the free parking for APHs is only valid at the theme parks, not the resorts. But if you're staying onsite, parking at the parks is free anyway, so you might not even need the AP?
Hipstalike is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Another advantage (I think, I hope) if you are a DVC Member you can buy a cheap gold pass, but it has Xmas and Easter blackout dates.
So instead if you are say going Xmas, then again the following summer, get the 14 day then on your last day upgrade to the Gold pass.
It should work I hope.
Old 18 Feb 19, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
The AP only covers parking at the parks, not at the resort. You'll get free parking at the parks if staying onsite anyway.

The cost to upgrade to the Platinum Pass will be around $450 (very approximately). If you were thinking of getting this purely to save on parking costs then you would need to park at the Disney parks on at least 18 days in order to save any money. Admittedly, there are other benefits to be gained from the AP - discounts on merchandise and food, for example.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

we are planning for Nov 2020, so I was following this:

disneyholidays/wal...d/faq/parking/

"Overnight resort parking charges are applicable to Disney Resort Hotel Guests who booked from 21st March 2018. Guests residing in the UK and Ireland will be charged for overnight resort parking from 1st January 2020. "

So in that case the parking is relevant - or do AP holders still have to pay resort parking?.

Edited at 07:58 PM.
returnplanning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Hipstalike
Proud to wear my Ears

Hipstalike's Reviews
Originally Posted by returnplanning View Post
we are planning for Nov 2020, so I was following this:

disneyholidays/wal...d/faq/parking/

"Overnight resort parking charges are applicable to Disney Resort Hotel Guests who booked from 21st March 2018. Guests residing in the UK and Ireland will be charged for overnight resort parking from 1st January 2020. "

So in that case the parking is relevant - or do AP holders still have to pay resort parking?.
Yep, APHs only get free parking at the parks, not the resorts.
More info: disneyparksmomspanel.disney... -parks-368411/
Old 19 Feb 19, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by returnplanning View Post
AP holders still have to pay resort parking.

It's only the theme park parking that AP holders get for free. And if you are staying onsite, then you get theme park parking for free anyway.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Another advantage (I think, I hope) if you are a DVC Member you can buy a cheap gold pass, but it has Xmas and Easter blackout dates.
So instead if you are say going Xmas, then again the following summer, get the 14 day then on your last day upgrade to the Gold pass.
It should work I hope.
They take the date of upgrade from the first day of use. Therefore if you are they over the blackout period you won't be able to have a gold pass it would be the platinum pass. Also if you have used the water parks that is included with the 14 day ticket you have to upgrade to the the platinum plus pass.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List