Notices

View Poll Results: Where should we spend NYE?
Citrico's and the GF 2 50.00%
The Wave and the Contemporary 1 25.00%
Somewhere else on site (a different hotel/restaurant) 1 25.00%
Somewhere off site 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25 Sep 18, 07:14 AM  
Link to this Post
kcsunshine73
Imagineer

kcsunshine73's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
NYE at Citrico's or Wave - mixed age group

Hi there,
I am currently holding two tables for four at each of these two restaurants. It will be my parents (67-70), my daughter (14) and me (mum, somewhere in between!).
We've previously eaten at neither and wondered what your experiences were of each/either/these resorts? I've looked at both menus and they seem similar enough in offering not to make a big difference to us.
We are staying off site, probably won't make it a park day, but would like to hang around in a hotel to see in the New Year and hopefully watch the MK fireworks from there.
We have had NYE in the GF before (not with my parents though) as we had a room there once and watched the fireworks over the lake. This time, we will be wandering vagabonds, just hoping to soak up the hotel/park atmosphere.
Do you think either of these two would have an edge? I'll add a poll if you wouldn't mind clicking.
Alternatively, should we book something completely different, if so, what?
Thanks.
DL SanFrancisco to Anaheim Discovery Aug '23 ; WDW Emerald Isle/Florida Keys Dec'18/Jan'19; Dolphin, NYE 2015 DL HROC - 2013-14 Anaheim/LA/San Diego Tokyo Tokyo Disney Sea -April 2013 WDW - Tuscan Villa, GrandFlo & POFQ - Christmas 2012 WDW - Westridge, DCL Magic, ASMu 2011 DLRP - all the hotels (APHs 2007-2011) DLRP SF - March 2006 - DLRP DCR - August 2005 WDW Kissimmee - June 1984

Edited at 07:29 AM.
kcsunshine73 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 18, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
We eat at both a lot. Actually we ate at The Wave 5 times in Aug/Sept and Citricos once.

Totally different experiences and they can't really be compared ref the food. With regard to the venue then for us The Contemporary wins hands down as we love how iconic it is. The GF is stunning but isn't iconic, it's just a lovely venue we feel.
Others will have the opposite view I suspect.
To see any fireworks at The Contemporary you will have to leave the building and view from the car park - done that!
The GF you have much better areas to view from.

Lots will say ditch both and go for Narcoossee's. Not for us sorry, food is nothing special and although the views are lovely and the deck right outside is great for viewing the fireworks far too many on here have said they wont return.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 08:50 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 18, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
kcsunshine73
Imagineer

kcsunshine73's Reviews
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
We eat at both a lot. Actually we ate at The Wave 5 times in Aug/Sept and Citricos once.

Lots will say ditch both and go for Narcoossee's. Not for us sorry, food is nothing special and although the views are lovely and the deck right outside is great for viewing the fireworks far too many on here have said they wont return.
Thank you! Cannot get res at Narcoosee's at the moment ... daughter wouldn't be so keen on all the fish etc ... she'd do prawns or meat though ...
Only other places we could get in looking this morning, around the MK resorts (and WL) are: GF cafe; Hoop de doo (My parents would love it so much, but we've possibly done it to death and not sure a grumpy 14 yo would make NYE ... I may be wrong of course, she may want to when I as her - only just discovered it's available, but then there's the hassle of pre-paying) Trail's End or Whispering Canyon (we have a res there for earlier in the trip when DS and DH are still with us before parents arrive).
DL SanFrancisco to Anaheim Discovery Aug '23 ; WDW Emerald Isle/Florida Keys Dec'18/Jan'19; Dolphin, NYE 2015 DL HROC - 2013-14 Anaheim/LA/San Diego Tokyo Tokyo Disney Sea -April 2013 WDW - Tuscan Villa, GrandFlo & POFQ - Christmas 2012 WDW - Westridge, DCL Magic, ASMu 2011 DLRP - all the hotels (APHs 2007-2011) DLRP SF - March 2006 - DLRP DCR - August 2005 WDW Kissimmee - June 1984
kcsunshine73 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 18, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
The message I will leave you with is this.
The Wave food is very good, a hidden gem. Citrico's food is awesome albeit at least a third+ more expensive. For NY Eve I know where I would go!

Some other thoughts. Flying Fish to experience the buzz of The Boardwalk. GF Cafe. Good food but still the ability to enjoy the GF and same prices as The Wave but not such a good menu.
Artist Point before they ruin it with characters!

Edited at 09:09 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 18, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
kcsunshine73
Imagineer

kcsunshine73's Reviews
Mobile

Thanks for that ™; we did GF cafe when we did GF NYE previously, great burgers! AP has no availability but I will keep looking! Have been wanting (as an aside) to experience Olivia’s brunch but no availability that weekend
Old 25 Sep 18, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Any help you want let me know as we have eaten at most of their restaurants

Old 25 Sep 18, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
kcsunshine73
Imagineer

kcsunshine73's Reviews
Mobile

Thank you! Is Olivia’s worth holding for a normal bf do you think? We love the Tonga toast at kona (going first morning) but wondered if O’s was wortha try (also never been to OKW).
Old 25 Sep 18, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Olivias is another hidden gem. Very good menu and prices are on a par with the GF Cafe, Turf Club etc. Only thing that lets down OKW is the bar is hopeless!
OKW is a lovely Resort.

Come to my resort! The Turf Club does nice food, bigger bar than OKW - just!

We think the current menu at The Kona is poor. had some good meals there over the years but wont go back until they tweak the menu a bit. Nice venue.

Edit. I would ask the Mods to move this to the dining forum even though it's a poll. Will get more replies.

Edited at 09:55 AM.
Old 25 Sep 18, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
kcsunshine73
Imagineer

kcsunshine73's Reviews
Where’s the Turf Club?

Edit - ignore me - should’ve guessed it would be in horse-racing themed SS!

Haven’t visited any DVC resorts other than a BWV open house once.

Edited at 10:08 AM.