Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 4 Feb 19, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
alibeau
VIP Dibber

Where to start, not staying in Kissimmee...

Hi,

We have been visiting Florida for almost two decades always staying in a villa in Kissimmee. As the years have gone by we have been visiting the parks less and less but we do still love the restaurants, weather, shopping, no language barrier etc.

I've been inspired by a thread on here about Cape Coral and am now wondering if we could be brave enough to try somewhere new

We could fly into Miami or FLL and stay somewhere in South Florida, I am thinking about this for a December trip...

Where would I start in trying to decide where to stay? We would be looking for a private villa, we always hire a car, would like restaurants within an easy drive (preferably some of the US chains we love in the mix), we love the malls and outlets...

Not overly fussed about being near the beach... although if that's where we ended up, that's fine!

Where do I begin? Any advice or tips on where to begin?

Many thanks.

Ali x
alibeau is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 19, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
debsym62
Imagineer

debsym62's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Last year we spent two weeks in the Ocala area which is above Orlando, we were cat sitting but did lots of day trips there are loads of natural springs in the area and they are great to visit. It was good for something really different to do.
debsym62 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 19, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Jim
Very Serious Dibber

Oooh... following! We were only talking about this for 2021 last night (back to Orlando next year with the grandchildren)
Big Jim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 19, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
CRISSY61
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by alibeau View Post
Hi,

We have been visiting Florida for almost two decades always staying in a villa in Kissimmee. As the years have gone by we have been visiting the parks less and less but we do still love the restaurants, weather, shopping, no language barrier etc.

I've been inspired by a thread on here about Cape Coral and am now wondering if we could be brave enough to try somewhere new

We could fly into Miami or FLL and stay somewhere in South Florida, I am thinking about this for a December trip...

Where would I start in trying to decide where to stay? We would be looking for a private villa, we always hire a car, would like restaurants within an easy drive (preferably some of the US chains we love in the mix), we love the malls and outlets...

Not overly fussed about being near the beach... although if that's where we ended up, that's fine!

Where do I begin? Any advice or tips on where to begin?

Many thanks.

Ali x
We love Palm Harbor near Clearwater . Close to small beaches & parks for a chilled holiday- plenty of places to eat . We also love Bradenton further south. Trying Cape Coral this year
CRISSY61 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 19, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
emmabanana
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We tried Cape Coral this year only for 5 nights, we had a great time and will definitely go back, we had a lovely villa overlooking the canal it was lovely sitting and watching the boats go by.
emmabanana is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 19, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
CRISSY61
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Mobile

We too have booked a villa next to the canal.we have had villas overlooking lakes in the past & love being able to watch the wildlife. Hoping Cape Coral is a good choice- not been this far south
Old 5 Feb 19, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
sparkles18
Imagineer

We are spending 12 nights in Naples this Christmas and flying into Miami. We spent 3 days there last year and fell in love with the place. There are great restaurants on 3rd Street and 5th Ave as well as a Cheesecake Factory. Also there's a couple of shopping malls and an outlet too. We are staying in a 2 bedroom bungalow on the Glades Golf Course complex.
sparkles18 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 19, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Ninnybobs
Apprentice Imagineer

Like yourselves, we have been travelling to Florida for 20+ years and are getting close to not visiting the theme parks any more.
Last year we visited Cape Coral for the first time and absolutely loved it. It is a central point for so many wonderful locations such as Sanibel and Captive Islands, Fort Myers, Lovers Key, Pine Island and Bokeelia.
Fabulous restaurants and Bars and Malls within an easy drive.
We head back there in a couple of weeks and can’t wait. We too have booked a ‘canal’ villa for the first time having previously stayed at a lovely ‘dibbers’ villa which unfortunately was no longer available.
I would highly recommend the area to anyone who wants to totally ‘chillax’.
Ninnybobs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 19, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
EatandPlay
Apprentice Imagineer
- DIBB Advertiser -

Try staying along IDrive if you still fancy a bit of Orlando in your holiday mix. It's FULL of incredible dining and entertainment options. Much more lively than Kissimmee. For a beach, Delray is my favourite just about anywhere. 2.5 hours from Orlando and between Palm Beach and Boca Raton, it has a perfect small beach town vibe but in the evening it really picks up. Great dining and entertainment options.
Old 5 Feb 19, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Do take a look at Naples, you can see photos in my trippies. Lovely place, relaxed but slightly up market, still very chilled though!
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List