Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 6 Feb 19, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
animal 1970
Dibbing with Tink

driving to the keys

my dh is getting fed up with disney has anyone ever driven to the keys is it easy and is there things to do on the way
animal 1970 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 19, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Dizzy
Very Serious Dibber

Our trip in July/August will be doing just that. The kids and I are going to have a couple of weeks doing the theme parks and then DH is joining us and we will be heading to Clearwater first for a couple of days, then down to Cape Coral for 5 nights and then to Islamorada for 5 nights.

There's loads to do on the way. You need to decide which way you want to go first - down the gold coast, visiting some beaches on the way down to Miami and then to the Keys or via the gulf coast with more beaches and through the everglades before dropping down to the Keys.

It also depends how long you want in the Keys.
2013 - OKW - 20th Anniversary
2019 - 4 week Big Birthday Bonanza
Disney Dizzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 19, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Driving to the Keys is easy and takes about 7 to 8 hours. If you want to do stops other than food and toilet then you need to consider staying overnight somewhere.
Old 7 Feb 19, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

It's a lovely drive, particularly if you initially head across to the Gulf Coast and drive down the Tamiami trail, cutting through the Everglades at the bottom. The bit from Key Largo onwards is stunning, particularly the 7 mile bridge.

You will find plenty to do along the whole route.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 19, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
pos69xxx
Excited about Disney

We stopped in Miami for the night to break the journey up and found Miami to the Keys an easy and fabulous drive.
Stopped off at Robert is here for a breakfast shake and to buy sauces and then a relaxing lunch at Wahoos Bar overlooking the ocean...lovely!
Kissimmee May 2018-New York Washington July 2018
pos69xxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 19, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
It's a lovely drive, particularly if you initially head across to the Gulf Coast and drive down the Tamiami trail, cutting through the Everglades at the bottom. The bit from Key Largo onwards is stunning, particularly the 7 mile bridge.

You will find plenty to do along the whole route.
Apologies for jumping on thread We’re staying in Naples for 12 nights and I was thinking we’d be daft not to head to the keys, just for the day. How long, roughly would it take from Naples? I’d want to go at least as far as Key Largo and possibly further depending on how long the drive and what’s to see. Any recommendation where would be best to stop and get out?
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 19, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by MinniMouse View Post
Apologies for jumping on thread We’re staying in Naples for 12 nights and I was thinking we’d be daft not to head to the keys, just for the day. How long, roughly would it take from Naples? I’d want to go at least as far as Key Largo and possibly further depending on how long the drive and what’s to see. Any recommendation where would be best to stop and get out?
It is roughly a 3 hour 40 minute drive to Marathon. I would suggest that the southern end of Marathon (7 mile bridge), is where the Keys that you may seek begins.
I really would be wary of an 8 hour drive for this and would suggest an overnight in Marathon in order to enjoy that area south of it. You could tie it in with a visit to the Dolphin centre and also an airboat ride on the Tamiami causeway.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 19, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Rotonda Bound
slightly serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
Originally Posted by MinniMouse View Post
As an alternative to driving, have you thought of the Key West Express? It sails from Fort Myers direct to Key West. It takes 3.5 hours but at least you can relax on the way. We have had a few guests who have Done this and stayed overnight or a few nights at Key West before returning back to our villa.

Dragonflies Villa ... close to stunning Gulf Coast beaches.
The ideal place to relax and unwind

Rotonda Bound is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 19, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
It is roughly a 3 hour 40 minute drive to Marathon. I would suggest that the southern end of Marathon (7 mile bridge), is where the Keys that you may seek begins.
I really would be wary of an 8 hour drive for this and would suggest an overnight in Marathon in order to enjoy that area south of it. You could tie it in with a visit to the Dolphin centre and also an airboat ride on the Tamiami causeway.
Hmmm, DH thinks it's too far to drive there and back in a day too. Especially as the villa we are staying in is not as cheap as when we've stayed in Orlando. We may do as suggested below if we have a free day then maybe do Key West on a future trip, spend a week there and a week on the gulf coast again. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Rotonda Bound View Post
As an alternative to driving, have you thought of the Key West Express? It sails from Fort Myers direct to Key West. It takes 3.5 hours but at least you can relax on the way. We have had a few guests who have Done this and stayed overnight or a few nights at Key West before returning back to our villa.
I'll have a look at this thanks.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 19, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

I don't understand why anybody would have to be wary of an 8 hour drive when the roads are good. If you are fit and well it shouldn't be a problem