Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 15 Feb 19, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mumsthebigkid
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Florida Road Trip 2019

Hi everyone.

Having been 4 years since our last family trip to Florida, at last DH and I will be returning and this time on our first ever 'Florida Road Trip'.

Outside of our 4 days in Disney, I've been searching the internet and various forums for inspiration on days out and activities at each of our stops. Wondering if anyone could throw some ideas our way as I seemed to have hit a wall.

About us
DH and I are in our 40's (OK, closer to 50 ) and this trip will just be the 2 of us travelling. DH struggles to sit still for long periods of time. Loves anything on the water and always on the go!

Dates - July 18th - 1st Aug 2019.

July 18th - 22nd - Staying at Disney and hitting the parks
This is the easiest part of the trip, however, we would like to focus on taking the parks in more, finding hidden things to do, rather than chasing the kids from ride to ride this time! I have booked our ADR. I will be spending more time searching the forum for tips on what to do in the parks aside from rides, however, if you're reading this and have any suggestions now, please let us know

July 22nd - July 26th
Travel down west coast to Fort Meyers. We will be staying in Fort Meyers as a base and looking to visit Naples/Marco Island area. Aside from an evening stroll and dinner in Times Square, Fort Meyers, I am struggling with ideas on places to visit or activities in this area.

Any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated.

July 26th - July 29th
Travel via Everglades on to Miami.

Now we know we want to do a boat tour of the Everglades, but there are so many! Looking for advice if better to choose a tour in Everglades City or closer to Miami? The 26th will also be our wedding anniversary, so would really like to find something special.

Miami - I have seen the Thriller Boat Tour in Miami, which is something both of us will enjoy, but again, aside from this I have hit a blank! We will go for a stroll up Ocean Drive and take in the Art Deco buildings also.

29th July - 1st Aug
Internal flight from MIA to JFK. Staying in NYC for 3 nights before heading home. Like Disney, we have lots of ideas of places to see, however, if anyone has any 'must dos' aside from the usual tourist hot spots, we would love to hear them.

Again, appreciate any suggestions to help us plan this wonderful trip.
mumsthebigkid is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 19, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
dannigizmo
Serious Dibber

Sounds great! Us too have never been to Miami so following with interest. In NY we enjoyed the speedboat on the river to see lady liberty and Empire state at night. Central park a must too but its BIG!

Disney...make sure catch LION KING that may fav show and some of the street performance stuff at MK HS and AK is soo much fun we have alot of great memories taking part in these. Just taking your time looking at the details of the parks is great as we too have to remind ourselves to stop rushing from ride to ride,

Cant help with anything else am afraid but the holiday sounds fab! dx

Edited at 05:56 PM.
dannigizmo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 19, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
jheaton
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Hi sounds like a lovely trip

For the Fort Myers part, we enjoyed the following

revsinstitute/- classic racing cars on display-you do have to book in advance though

corkscrew.audubon/-nature reserve

edisonfordwinterestates/- Thomas Edison's winter home and laboratory
1995 OKW/1997 Villa/ Gulf /2000 Villa/Rotunda /2002 Villa/Rotunda/2004 Southern Dunes/ AMI/2006 West Stonebridge/2007 Bradenton/2009 Sandy Ridge/2011Sandy Ridge/ AMI /2012SSR/2012Esprit/2013 SSR/2013 2wks AMI/2014 AMI/2015 OKW/2015 AMI/2016 AMI/ Bonita Springs/2017 2weeks Bellavida/2018 AMI/2019 Bonita Springs and Universal/2022 Gulf Coast Hurricane Ian/2023POFQ
jheaton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 19, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Woody
Trying for More Ears

For New York recommend high line walk (stop off at Chelsea Market for a bite to eat and a cheeky drink). For a lazy afternoon take ferry over to Governers island, food trucks, bars, gardens and some amazing views of Manhattan.
govisland/visit-the-island
Florida: Buena Vista Palace '03, Royal Pacific '04, Royal Pacific '05, Royal Pacific '06, Hard Rock '08, Animal Kingdom Lodge '09, Parc Soleil '10, Waldorf Astoria '11, Waldorf Astoria '13, Waldorf Astoria '14, Villas Of Grand Cypress '15, Waldorf Astoria '17, Waldorf Astoria '19 Paris: Holiday Inn '05, Holiday Inn '05, Holiday Inn '06, Holiday Inn '07, Disneyland Hotel '08, Hotel New York '10 California: Disneyland Hotel '06, Hilton Newport Beach '12 Tokyo: Conrad '13

Edited at 09:56 PM.
Woody is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List