Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 4 Jan 20, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
MinnieMrsA
Imagineer

The Disney Lunch Club Rerun: Motivational Edition - Dec 2019 - Travel Day

The Disney Lunch Club Rerun: Motivational Edition

Travel Day – Sunday 1st December

It had been a quiet night but we were restless and up at 5.20am. We left the room at 6.40am to find the car frozen solid, and that we had forgotten a second thing – deicer. Never mind – we had a scraper and some water which was a start. However, despite our best efforts, the driver’s window would not go down. This was going to make getting out of the car park awkward as you have to scan a ticket to get out. A cunning plan was hatched – Dave drove the barrier and I went on foot, scanned him out and then walked out after him and got into the car a bit further down the road. By which time, the window would of course go down!

We parked up easily in the T2 West multistorey – about £40 cheaper than the T2 East multistorey – I can cope with a 5 minute walk to save that money! We were soon at the check in desk and unusually had to queue – the people in front of us were seat shuffling between Premium and Economy which took forever. All checked in, we headed up to security. I had bought fast track tickets, and flashed both mine and Dave’s at the man guarding the fast track line. I thought Dave was right behind me but he wasn’t, and had to insist he was with me in order to be let down the line. Then when we got to the barrier where you scan your ticket and boarding pass, the machine was having some technical difficulties, causing the man behind me to curse really loudly in my ear. He was obviously late for his flight – not my problem though. Or the machine’s apparently! It didn’t take long to get through using our tried and tested method – I go first and then collect my stuff and most of Dave’s whilst he puts his belt etc back on.

We headed to Frankie & Benny’s for our usual breakfast of Eggs Florentine, apple juice and a tea for Dave, and Pancakes and fruity tea for me.

Nicely filled up, we walked to the new pier in terminal 2 just to stretch our legs – we needed to get our steps in before we got on the plane. I wrote up some notes on my phone, and we messaged Sean & Tammy who let us know that their flight was delayed – we might win this race across the Atlantic yet!

Even though we had won half the battle...

How could we not win when this beast can do the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs?!

I went for my final trip to the loo before we boarded and spotted what I thought was a familiar face in the ladies. I was adamant that the lady washing her hands next to me was the actress who plays Will’s Mum in The Inbetweeners. Not one to miss an opportunity, I casually said ‘Do I recognise you from somewhere?’. To my surprise, she replied in a broad Derbyshire accent that she recognised me too! Ha. We of course decided that we must have crossed paths on a previous Florida trip and I headed back to Dave feeling a tad embarrassed. I regaled the story to him, and he thought it was hilarious. We were soon called to board, and guess who was behind me in the queue? Will’s Mum and her husband. We enjoyed chatting to them in the slow moving queue, and she said that she often goes to Meadowhall and people say they recognise her. She thought she looked like a local weather girl – ermmmm nope. Bit more famous than that! As we sat down (they were diagonally across from us on the upper deck), Dave confessed he would have made the same mistake. She was a dead ringer for that actress.

Once on the plane, the wings had to be de-iced whilst we enjoyed our drinks and pretzels. We eventually departed Manchester, and I purchased in flight wifi to keep on top of our race!

Lunch was the usual plane food (no ice cream – skittles instead?), and I passed the flight by messaging Sean, napping and watching Sister Act. This was the most turbulent flight we have ever had – the seatbelts signs were on for at least 7 hours I thought. I was so glad to touch down – but we landed 7 minutes behind the Gatwick flight. As we stood up to disembark the plane, we got chatting to the couple who had been sat next to us who were lovely. Passed some of the time whilst we were waiting to get off. We were amongst the first off the plane as the crew held the economy passengers from downstairs until Upper/Premium/Economy in the bubble had got off. We walked into a relatively quiet immigration hall – and waited only 30 minutes to get to the front of the queue. We could see Sean & Tammy waiting for their backs but didn’t want to shout/wave for fear of being shot. We were directed to stand behind the yellow line for a booth – and when we got there and the CBP official finished with the people in front – he left the booth! Obviously finished his shift, but he left the green light on so we stood there like muppets. Another passenger helpfully told us to say something (really- the thought hadn’t crossed my mind!) but another CBP officer took pity on us and invited us over to him. He was lovely! Which made up slightly for being left there. He told us not to party too hard and sent us on our way.

Our bags were there so we grabbed them and walked over to the Magical Express, and checked in with our Magic Bands for the first time (we bought snazzy ones when we became Annual Passholders on our last trip). We waited bout 15 minutes to board – then went to Art of Animation, Pop Century then Coronado Springs. I had already had a message to say our room wasn’t ready, but had the room number alert just as we pulled into the Gran Destino tower. We headed straight to our room, then back down to pick up the grey magic bands we had declined, and were served by a somewhat smarmy cast member. Remember him for later in the trip.

Now begins my saga with Bell Services. My Garden Grocer order has been delivered, so I went to ask them to send it to my room. They could only do this with one of us there – despite there being nothing cold in it. Totally different to any other resort we have stayed in for orders just with dry goods. They told us to call when we got back to our room and they would bring it then. We went to get our refillable mugs and some chicken tenders as we were hungry. We then headed to our room and I called Bell Services. It was about 6.30pm. The guy said it would be delivered in 20 minutes – great!

One hour later – no parcel so I call again. Be there in 20 minutes – heard this before. 1 hour later – still nothing. Having been awake for about 21 hours, I marched back down to bell services – my order was now out on a golf cart. I told the bell hop in no uncertain terms if he thought I was paying the $6 to wait in for 2 hours he was wrong and had best not charge me. Remember this bell hop – he comes back later in the week too. Anyway – I walked back to my room via the drinks station and still made it back 10 minutes before my delivery, which was thrown into my room by the most miserable cast member I have ever set eyes on.

Both Dave and I were tired and cranky by now, so after a last few bits of unpacking we went to sleep at about 9.30pm – super excited to see Sean & Tammy the next morning.

Tomorrow - Epcot, Resort hopping and Hollywood Studios

Steps - 13,852
MinnieMrsA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 20, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
squishy
Imagineer

squishy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
How on earth do you manage that many steps when most of your day is on the plane?! Admirable!
DLP DCR - 2009
squishy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 20, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
MinnieMrsA
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by squishy View Post
How on earth do you manage that many steps when most of your day is on the plane?! Admirable!
We just don't sit down at the airport aside from breakfast 🤣
MinnieMrsA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 20, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A reasonable travel day I don’t like turbulence either

Joan
Old 13 Jan 20, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
MinnieMrsA
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
A reasonable travel day I don’t like turbulence either

Joan
This was stomach turning 🤢
Old 8 Apr 21, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Never the best to encounter a grumpy cast member on travel day. Bet you were chomping to get to your bed.
Old 9 Apr 21, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
MinnieMrsA
Imagineer

Just a bit - I was absolutely exhausted! It felt like such a long day!