Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Apr 21, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
We paid our off circa 2.5 years early by overpaying each Month for years.

However within 2 Months I wondered where that money was going as it just got absorbed into other things. Hence I set up another account and each Month until I retired I transferred that money into the new account. Nice to have a lumps sum.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Perthite View Post
Is anyone else wondering enviously how so many posters have been able to pay off their mortgages?!
Yes! I can’t wait to be in that position, I can imagine it feels amazing.

Sadly, living in the South East means I have a big mortgage, so it will be a long time before I am in that position!
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
But they don't have any other debts so this advice doesn't make sense?

Pay off the mortgage you lucky person. wish I could 😀
True, but I was generalising as it may be of use to others.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Stitch & Smudge View Post
I’m going to go against the flow here. Mortgage rates are at a historic low. If you still have a decent sized mortgage then now is the time to remortgage on a decent fixed term. You’ll find that the interest payable is negligible. Credit card debt however carries a far higher repayment percentage. Paying off short term debt far outweighs a mortgage. Also for anyone starting out, borrow over as long a term as possible. Yes, you have a mortgage for longer but over time inflation erodes the amount you require to repay. (i.e. a loaf now costs £1 but in 25 years time it’ll be £4 so in relative terms in 25 years your mortgage will only be costing you a quarter of what it does now. Figures for illustration only.)
Edit to add, we didn’t pay ours off as we would have had an early repayment fee. Yes, I am that tight.
What’s the point of that when they have no other debts.

Why owe on a mortgage if you don’t need to makes no sense.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Perthite View Post
Is anyone else wondering enviously how so many posters have been able to pay off their mortgages?!
Maybe it’s age? Assuming you got a mortgage in 20s then it will probably be gone by 50s etc
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

paid ours last year, credit rating has dropped, but as long as we keep using our credit cards (and paying off in full each month) then our credit rating has taken a dip, but not anything worth worrying about (that i've noticed so far)

if we didnt have/use the credit cards, i could see things dropping enough to potentially affect getting some lines of credit in future, so we keep two cards each and use them both regularly instead of debit
wanye is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Pay it off unless you have (or might want to) have a loan for something. There's no point paying off a mortgage at, say 2% interest rate and then next year getting out a loan for something else (car, etc) at 5% or whatever they are these days.

I am jealous, we've got a huge mortgage, although once we have finished our house we will start seriously overpaying it.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
What’s the point of that when they have no other debts.

Why owe on a mortgage if you don’t need to makes no sense.
Because it means that you have money in the bank for those rainy days, a new car, holiday. The list is endless. Or, as in my case it avoids mortgage exit fees. My mortgage is tracking the base rate so at the moment is almost interest free and there’s no benefit to paying it off. That may change as and when interest rates rise but at the moment I have the cash to pay any unexpected expenses without having to worry about it.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
Maybe it’s age? Assuming you got a mortgage in 20s then it will probably be gone by 50s etc
I was 22 when I had my first mortgage and was 38 when it was paid off. We were very lucky, but also worked very hard to pay it off.
disney_l81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

There is something to be said to be ensuring that you have a solid emergency fund set up (say 6 months of living costs) before paying off the mortgage. The last year has shown that you don't know when you could be in a position of a reduced or no income through sickness or pandemic.

You obviously have to take into account other protections you may already have in place such as enhanced sickness pay you may get, redundancy pay etc.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List