Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 21 Apr 21, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
steve@mac155.f
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Just use the 192 it is a straight road and no tolls and right outside the airport.

The 192 runs from the junction of the 27 all the way through Melbourne until it hits the Atlantic.

Steve
steve@mac155.f is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
grumpybri
VIP Dibber

I have booked a Tui Holiday next year flying from Newcastle. Booked the transfer and expecting it similar experience as Sanford, just adding on another 30 or 40 minutes due to the extra distance.
As the Newcastle flight does not arrive at Melbourne till late afternoon I did not want to drive and have signed up for the transfer. Plan to get a hire car the next day.
Old 21 Apr 21, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by steve@mac155.f View Post
Just use the 192 it is a straight road and no tolls and right outside the airport.

The 192 runs from the junction of the 27 all the way through Melbourne until it hits the Atlantic.

Steve
It may be straight and toll free but once you hit St Cloud there are dozens of traffic lights. In the middle of the afternoon or early evening the toll road will be significantly faster and less annoying.

I do this route almost monthly and invariably regret it if I choose 192 to make a change
Old 24 Apr 21, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

MCO - lots of flights arriving at the same time equals possible long waits in immigration, baggage claim can be a long wait if you get through quickly.

Short drive once you have your car

Melbourne - less of a queue at immigration and bags are likely to be quicker.
Just over twice the driving time ( slightly more than sanford)

Overall possibly not much difference time wise
Old 24 Apr 21, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by lydscl View Post
i'm willing to try it, just once you never know what'll happen on the day. It's taken me longer than that to get from tampa to orlando on numerous occasions so for a one off new experience i'll give it a go...especially to only have a 40 minute drive home on return instead of 2 hours!
Absolutely this ^^^^ I live literally 5 minutes from Newcastle Airport and I am willing to pay a premium for the ability to be in my house soon after leaving the airport with a cup of tea and my feet up.

I know people like to get cheaper fares and do all sorts of jiggery-pokery with transfers and what nots but the ease of direct flights from Newcastle will always sway it for us, especially with kids and grandkids in tow. Melbourne it is for us and I’m sure it will be fine

Edit: incidentally did someone say it is a toll road from Melbourne? And if so how much would we need?

Edited at 09:28 AM.
levtweeney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 21, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

I'd do it because I prefer Tui Dreamliner to Virgin. Hopefully we are flying BA soon so will see what I think of them these days.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 21, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by levtweeney View Post
Absolutely this ^^^^ I live literally 5 minutes from Newcastle Airport and I am willing to pay a premium for the ability to be in my house soon after leaving the airport with a cup of tea and my feet up.

I know people like to get cheaper fares and do all sorts of jiggery-pokery with transfers and what nots but the ease of direct flights from Newcastle will always sway it for us, especially with kids and grandkids in tow. Melbourne it is for us and I’m sure it will be fine

Edit: incidentally did someone say it is a toll road from Melbourne? And if so how much would we need?
I figure as well, what's an extra 30 minutes or an hour out of a 1 or 2 week holiday if i've got that convenience at the uk end of things! maybe it'll not be the best option but i'm happy with the price being paid so i'll give it a shot for sure!

Did a quick google about the tolls and it looks like it's a couple of bucks total for the tolls based on this
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 21, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

TBH I don't really pay attention to the tolls as I have a Sunpass that is automatically topped up by a credit card. That TripAdvisor link is a bit low though as it is starting from MCO not where the hotels etc are and is a few years old. My guess is around $5 and definitely less than $10.
Old 5 May 21, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

I am wondering about transfers...

I am trying to avoid paying for 6 nights car parking at Universal so don't really want to a hire a car until later in my holiday.

Does anyone have any information on this free coach ? I can't find any details.

Any other options ? Presuming a taxi will be expensive.

Update: Just checked its about £130 via Lyft for a XL car to fit the baggage.

Edited at 10:11 AM.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 21, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
BirdsluvDisney
Apprentice Imagineer

I am looking forward to giving Melbourne a go, Being able to fly from Bristol instead of travelling to London is a big plus for us.
I love that TUI do local airports and not just the big major Airports and I also prefer the Dreamliner.

As for transfers we got ours free with our TUI booking. If it means we have to sit on a coach for a extra hour so be it, It could work out quicker if customs are quieter and baggage quicker and no queuing for car hire. Happy to give it a go.