Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Feb 21, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

Has it been built? Wondering if you can visit of an afternoon to see. Looks like you may have sun at the end of that garden by the garage until the afternoon.

We have an east facing garden. I'd rather west but that wasn't available, we love the house and the location, a new build means there's no maintenance and the extra space (we were previously in a small terrace) has been fantastic, especially in current circumstances.

Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 21, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
hvasey
Imagineer

You can just adapt and have a seating area at the bottom of the garden, after all, your back fence faces south.
We used to have a summerhouse and it would be a sauna on a summer afternoon, we changed last year to a deck with trellis and it was fabulous last summer from May-october, we put a sail shade up over it.
Our conservatory faces NE and is boiling on sunny mornings, I made blinds for the east facing section of roof, mid summer, the sun doesn’t leave the back till 2pm, it’s a blessed relief to have the rear patio of the house in shade.
DD’s new house has a fully N facing back garden and her living room and kitchen are at the rear, I’m so pleased. Her house at the moment has the living room facing S E and I can’t bear the low sun in the mornings, it’s blinding.
hvasey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 21, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

If it's a dream to have a sunny garden I'd think seriously about it.
You can change a LOT about a house but not where the sun shines

We have had mainly south facing gardens but this house had THE PERFECT garden surrounded by woodland and not overlooked in any way - but it isn't sunny in the afternoon/evening.
We've made it work as it was a sacrifice we thought hard about.
We've made the most of the few areas the sun does get to by making different seating areas to follow the sun round. It CAN be made the best of.

The worst thing about ours is the blooming green moss and algae we have to get rid of after every winter Can't WAIT to start on THAT in a few weeks!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 21, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

We’ve had two South facing gardens, one North and our current one is West facing.

I much prefer West facing. Our South facing seemed to have no escape from the sun/heat. We were a bit put off by the house with a North facing garden, but as there were no buildings behind us, we actually got a lot of sun on the garden most of the day. The only thing was, no sun on most of the patio area next to the house, but we had another at the top of the garden which had lots.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 21, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Ours faces East so we get the morning sun, and can eat breakfast and lunch
outdoors, but not the heat in the afternoon, suits us as we are not sun-bunnies.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 21, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

I would never have a north facing garden again. We had one at the old house and the patio near the house became like a mossy ice rink each winter as the stones could never properly dry. We never really used the patio - it was always in the shade so not a very inviting area.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 21, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Picalily
Imagineer

Picalily's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We have a North facing back yard and it is gloomy and cold even on the hottest days, absolutely hate it. Even my washing takes ages to dry in the Summer as it has about 3 hours of sun in the morning and that's it.
Picalily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 21, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mine is north facing, but we have a long garden, so the patio near the house gets morning sun at an angle, then the rest of the garden is sunny most of the day. A smaller garden would be too shaded for me. We have the best of both. Sunny to sit in, and cooler shaded area to cool off. Plus unoverlooked by neighbours mostly.

We are south east, so pretty mild weather here.

Edited at 06:01 PM.
olgaandcoda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 21, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Our south facing garden is warm and sunny whilst the front north facing garden is usually freezing cold and dark from about October to May. Only good for snowmen
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 21, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by olgaandcoda View Post
Mine is north facing, but we have a long garden, so the patio near the house gets morning sun at an angle, then the rest of the garden is sunny most of the day. A smaller garden would be too shaded for me. We have the best of both. Sunny to sit in, and cooler shaded area to cool off. Plus unoverlooked by neighbours mostly.

We are south east, so pretty mild weather here.
Agreed. Ours is a large garden so has sunny areas. but near the house itself it never gets any sun. Our seating areas, decking and patios are away from the house, situated where the sun DOES reach.
If the garden is small I would be wary. Any chance you can go and see it at different times of day, if it is even partially built? So you can see where shadows fall at different times of day?
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List