Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Feb 21, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Benefits of Getting Suica card when in Japan

Think this is a good story to show benefits, but I found many shops in Tokyo took it too - not just convenience store. Strangely, Starbucks did not ... hey ho! Does not cover adding one to your iphone wallet - but still a good read in general.

livejapan/en/article-a00...z2qvlJSIHYZnq4
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 21, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

remember that if you get one from a JR office then you can present a child passport and get a discounted suica, we did that when we were there. You need to fill in a form that is mainly in japanese but it is quite simple - we managed it ok as the person in the airport JR office helped us.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 21, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

I still remember our first visit, it was the first thing we did after checking in at the hotel , straight out to shinjuku station. Took the Yamanote line to shinagawa station

It was a wonderful feeling, a real sense of achievement to finally get there and to be able to get around
2000 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2002 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2003 - Caribbean Beach. 2004 - Forgot where we stayed. 2008 - Pop Century. 2012 - Disneyland Paris for the day. 2015 - Contemporary Resort - 7 days, POFQ - 3 days. 2016 Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. 2018 Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge
kevin_cambs_uk is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 21, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

I had the Suica on my iPhone and got quite a thrill after we landed, got to Hilton and dumped the bags, went to Disneyland and used it at Bayside monorail station - I felt like a god as my planning had all worked out!

Yes, I need to get out more...
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 21, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Yes the planning!

I spent 9 months at it, it was like an exam!

The wife couldn’t understand it until I explained to her simply

We can’t speak the language and we can’t read some most of the language, we can ask for help but if they reply in Japanese then I can’t understand!

It was a challenge but one I thoroughly enjoyed and the second trip the following year was even better

It still is the best place I have ever been to.
2000 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2002 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2003 - Caribbean Beach. 2004 - Forgot where we stayed. 2008 - Pop Century. 2012 - Disneyland Paris for the day. 2015 - Contemporary Resort - 7 days, POFQ - 3 days. 2016 Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. 2018 Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge
kevin_cambs_uk is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

In the spirit of openness - my first time to shine once we got to Japan was a miserable failure, my first opportunity to show how much my research was worth it.

I had watched a zillion YouTube videos before we went, one area I had spent a lot of time on was getting from Haneda airport to the Hilton Tokyo Bay via the Limo Bus service they run – if you used it yourself you know it is a coach.
Where this limo part comes from I do not know ………..

I knew that once we entered the arrivals lounge, look for the Orange ticket machines on the right of the lounge, and from the videos I knew where they were.
I knew the menu options to take to select English, our destination etc – I was ready.

As we walked in arrivals, I saw them and over I marched, full of myself in the certainty I know what to do.

I took the option for English
<the options after this might be in wrong order, my memory is not that good>
I picked the number of adult tickets I wanted to buy.
I selected the general area I wanted to go to
Then the list came up for Tokyo Disney Resort area so I took that option.
But there was on Hilton Hotel listed…….
Strange, lets start again I thought
English
2 adults
General Area
Again, no Hilton listed

I turned to my partner and said “There is no option for our hotel, the Hilton!”
They leaned over and said “What happens if you push that big MORE button - well as you have guessed it displayed one more hotel , the Hilton.

Glad we got it sorted but I was a little crest fallen lol
Old 24 Feb 21, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Brilliant!
Similar when we arrived first time I thought we would get the limo bus bus it would take a longer time to wait so plumpedfor the narita express

I had google street view the area around the hotel so much I recognised it from the train

Anyway going back Narita express again but this chap kept walking up and down our carriage a few times and even though the entire carriage was empty he informed we were in his seat!

I felt so embarrassed, such a rookie mistake , I had the right seat but wrong carriage!

Didn’t do that again
Old 24 Feb 21, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

LOL !

Luckily my partner works for a train company, so they were in charge of that side of things and our day trip to Kyoto on bullet train as incident free
Old 24 Feb 21, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Picking up lots of great tips here, and on the other Japan planning threads

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29th March - 12th April 2017
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21st October - 4th November 2019
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana! April 2017
What do we want? FOOD! When do we want it? NOW! QSDP food report, Oct 2019
loves2plan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

We had a folder with our days planned. Japanese cheat sheets. Google map printouts. We used it for about 2 days then didnt bother as everyhing was easy to work out. We got lost in tokyo train station and used google maps to find the JR office. Awesome trip. Crowning glory was successfully ordering food in a small cafe in Kyoto, no english and we all got edible stuff with no cheese or seafood. Moat memorable bit was an old lady clapping and talking to us in Nara, we were walking from our tea ceremony to the deer park dressed in yucata she complemented our girls in dressing traditionally. Much bowing and sou desu ka? Arigato gozaimasu!

Edited at 09:33 PM.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List