Notices
Intro's and Welcomes Introduce yourself and be welcomed into our community.

Old 10 Mar 21, 02:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Andythephotodr
New Poster (3)

First time on forum, going to Orlando June 2022, wheelchair user. Any and all hints tips welcomed

Hi Folks. Newbie to forum and newbie to American holidays.

We are heading to Orlando June 2022, I know. A long time off but as I’m a wheelchair user and added to that travelling with our teenage son I’m hoping to get as much information as folks are kindly able to give.

Stuff like public transport, best places to eat, voucher codes to keep costs down, places to go, must see places, shopping places etc etc all really helpful. As regards disability help knowing what access is like, experience of anyone with wheelchair, any difficulties etc

I don’t want to have to drive but I may hire a car for a few days. I have already seen a brilliant post on here about disability parking pass etc

We are staying at Rosen International on I Drive which I’m sure many of you folks will have experience of, any tips about hotel welcomed too.

Thanks in advance for anyone able to take time to comment.

Cheers
#Andythephotodr
Andythephotodr is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 21, 04:22 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

We live in Kissimmee now and my daughter is a wheelchair user most of the time outside of the house. You will find the Orlando area far more accessible than the UK. This is partly due to the very strict Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) that makes accessibility a legal requirement but also the simple fact that places here are mostly newer, bigger and more spread out.

You won't find many stores with a step to enter, narrow doorways or streetlamps in the middle of sidewalks here.

The Disney and Universal buses all have wheelchair access and I believe the public Lynx buses do too. I have no idea about the shuttles from the Rosen hotel though. If you are happy to eat near your hotel or in the parks you would be fine without a car I guess but personally I would want to hire one. If you get the temporary disabled parking badge you will find the parking much easier than the UK as well.

Even the ride queues in Disney and Universal are wheelchair accessible now. There are a few rides that even allow you to stay in your chair. If you can transfer you can bring your chair right to the ride vehicle.

IMO Central Florida is probably the easiest and most accessible holiday destination for wheelchair users I am sure you will have a great time.

There is a Disney with Disabilities Facebook group if you want to ask loads of questions and really research things.
Old 10 Mar 21, 07:27 AM  
Link to this Post

Hello and welcome to thedibb.

How lovely to have a booking to look forward and plan for. So many people are starting to book for 2022 that it is making me quite jealous!

I am sure you and your teenage son will have a whale of a time. Taking mine I was slightly worried that it might not be his thing but he always throws off his Kevin and Perry cloak and reverts to just having some joy. It's lovely to see. My husband is the same. It Def brings out the inner child. 😁

I don't know much about Rosen I am afraid but am sure that others will. Enjoy your planning because it's half the fun 😉

Reading through the trip reports can give lots of inspiration. I certainly get inspired by the food photos. Some may have stayed at the Rosen too which might be helpful.

Re accessibility, you may have already come across the special needs sub forum, if not, it may be able to help on any particular areas of concern you may have.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112

Edited at 07:32 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 21, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Trueblue88
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi and welcome to The Dibb
Trueblue88 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 21, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
sasperella
Apprentice Imagineer

sasperella's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hello and welcome, you’ll be addicted to Florida once you go. We went in 2013 for a once in a lifetime trip, we’ve been 5 times since
Stayed at Rosen Inn @Pointe Orlando several times - love it!
Plenty of eating places nearby. You could get downstairs room or they have lifts in each block. 3 swimming pools(1x heated) Restaurant on-site, small shop with all you need(expensive) supermarket nearby. Gift shop that sells Starbucks Feels very safe. Buses stop outside hotel.
As others have said Orlando and theme parks are very wheelchair friendly.
Hopefully 🤞🙏 we are booked to go Nov/Dec this year 🤞🙏
Enjoy your planning, everyone on here is very helpful, just ask.
Oops! Just reread your post, think I’ve got the wrong hotel!
Oh well might be useful to someone else

Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando. Easter 2013, Sept/Oct 2015, Nov/Dec 2017
Wilderness Lodge 2018
AKL 2019, 2020, 2022. Beach Club 2023

Edited at 02:02 PM.
sasperella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 21, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
simon
VIP Dibber

simon's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 12
Hello and welcome to the Dibb ,
Enjoy your planning it’s a big part of a fantastic holiday .
simon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List