Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 27 Mar 21, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I think DVC can save a lot of money. Last Xmas I stayed in a 1 bed at beach club and 1 bed at BLT. These cost me circa $225 a night in ‘dues’.
I just saw Tim Tracker who has just got a 35% Florida discount on the same cash room at Beach Club and he’s paying $730 a night. That’s probably plus tax plus parking. So DVC in that case is less than a third, nearly quarter with parking than a heavily discounted rate.
Of course I bought the contracts initially. I may sell one day, and probably make a profit on what I paid, but I’ve lost the time cost of the money. In reality it would have probably been in the bank earning paltry interest although if I’d paid it into my pension I’d have maybe increased it by a third plus tax rebate, so that’s a possible measure.
One thing DVC has in its favour is it’s easy to rent the points out. Even in the pandemic I’ve had no problems and demand usually exceeds supply. As far as timeshares are concerned it’s in a world of its own in terms of rentability and resale value. So it’s a fairly safe bet if you buy resale and decide to sell you won’t lose much money.
Personally I wouldn’t borrow to buy but many do and if it works for them great but the interest will eat into savings.
Totally agree with Shooby unless you want to stay in deluxe anyway then it won’t save you money. The deluxe resorts do become quite addictive though. The reality for us is that it allows us to stay in them because I simply wouldn’t pay the 1 bed cash prices in most cases so wouldn’t stay.
Only buy if you intend to go at least every other year.
Old 28 Mar 21, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Twiggy1953
Apprentice Imagineer

Twiggy1953's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

You can definitely buy from the UK, we’ve just done it. But it does have to be a cash sale. We did it with 2 phone calls, one to start the process and one to pay with credit cards. They do have to allow 14 days for UK buyers in case you change your mind, so we paid 2 weeks after initial contact. All paperwork has been done by email using docusign. Very easy process.
Twiggy1953 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 21, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Clamshell
Imagineer

Thanks so much for your help. I’m learning a lot!

We have always stayed in moderate resorts before (POFQ), but had booked to stay in AKL for last September which obviously didn’t happen. We both said that we suspected it was a one way step up to the deluxe resorts 😁

We have tended to visit on a 2 year cycle which I think to start with I’d be happy to continue.

We were looking at the Poly, but the lack of variety in room types was concerning me. Chances are, we’d only ever need a studio, but if we wanted to play around with things and book a 1 bed for example, would that cause us issues as we wouldn’t be able to book into the poly at 11 months, and I have heard getting longer stays in other resorts at 7 months can be a struggle? We liked the idea of a monorail resort, but I’m wondering if copper creek would be a good compromise.

Another question - say we bought 200 points in one transaction, and as time went on, we decided that it was too many for us. Can we sell 50 of those points of does the 200 point bundle have to stay as a bundle? (I haven’t used that number of points for any particular reason btw)

Phantom thread-killer of Old London Town 😁
Clamshell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 21, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Twiggy1953
Apprentice Imagineer

Twiggy1953's Reviews
We’ve bought the minimum 125 points with the idea that maybe down the track we may get a resale contract to add on if we feel it’s necessary. They are giving the use year of October at the moment and we got points for 2020 which we won’t be using before 1 October this year, so I’ve banked them, giving us 250 for next year. So if we have studios we should be fine for a couple of years with just the minimum. There’s quite a big price difference depending on which resort you choose. SSR is $165 per point while Copper Creek is $220 and Riviera $201. However SSR has only got 33 years left on lease which is fine for us as we haven’t got 33 years left. But if you’re a young family or want to pass it on you might want a longer end date. As far as I Know a contract has to be sold as is. I don’t believe you can split it. (But we are relatively new at this, so not 100% sure)

Edited at 12:03 PM.
Twiggy1953 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 21, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I think that you can request to have the points split up into separate smaller contracts ( Direct) if you buy a 200 point contract it stays as a 200 point contract even if you add on. If 200 is excess then I'd say better to buy what you need & then add on later once you know if it's for you IYKWIM Plenty with buyers remorse, although from the ones I've seen these tend to be the ones that don't want to book a holiday at 11 months, DVC generally is not a last minute decision!
Sit down with a bit of paper or spreadsheet, look at your points requirement, bear in mind that surplus is not good value unless you plan on renting out, as an example we have 175 points, easily enough for most places & 3 weeks every other in a studio but to go every year we would only need to add on 75 points, the 250 on it's own wouldn't be enough but by Borrowing 8 points we basically could have 3 weeks for 9 years,drop the number of nights on year 10 then basically start the cycle again.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 21, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
I think that you can request to have the points split up into separate smaller contracts ( Direct) if you buy a 200 point contract it stays as a 200 point contract even if you add on. :
You certainly can, I did a 250 point add on in 2018 and had it split into 3 contracts, 2 x 100 and 1 x 50. I still got the add on incentive for the full amount.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 21, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiggy1953
Apprentice Imagineer

Twiggy1953's Reviews
Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
You certainly can, I did a 250 point add on in 2018 and had it split into 3 contracts, 2 x 100 and 1 x 50. I still got the add on incentive for the full amount.
Does that mean you pay more in closing costs than if it’s one contract?
Old 28 Mar 21, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Twiggy1953 View Post
Does that mean you pay more in closing costs than if it’s one contract?
I believe we did, but don't recall it being significant, it wasn't enough to put us off anyway.

Sorry I don't recall the exact details.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 21, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Yes you will pay more closing. It’s definitely the smart thing to split larger contracts into smaller ones when buying direct. Smaller contracts sell quicker and for more money, but you will lose some of that in the additional closing. OP if you buy resale I’d start off aiming for that smaller one first, then add on to take you somewhere up to 200 ish. Maybe 2 low 100 contracts - you could do that immediately.
You may or may not want a 1 bed in future. I don’t know if you have a family or young kids, or wish to grow a family but that’s a consideration.
1 beds also have vastly better availability at 7 months. Next Xmas is looking a bit tricky (because of Covid and the points building) but this summer is great, I can even get Copper Creek, Boardwalk etc for August now in 1 beds. Usually the 1 bed availability is very good all year if you are a bit flexible as to resorts.
I think Copper Creek is a fabulous resort. The only thing that puts me off it is 1 beds don’t have the drop down under TV bed. I think Boulder Ridge when it’s refurbed next year will be superb as it will have that bed (and the sofa Murphy almost certainly) but the short contract puts me off that.
I’m no fan of the monorail, it’s often slow and laborious. I stayed at BLT Xmas 2019 and only took it once- it took longer than the bus from Epcot. We walk where we can. BLT I think is a great choice of home resort- cheap dues, long contract, not too bad price, rents incredibly easily due to location. Grand Floridian is now much more attractive to us with the MK path.

Edited at 04:54 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List