Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Apr 21, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by signtalker View Post
Tell your daughter welcome to the next 30 years of her life lol, of cancelled rest days, denied annual leave , and being recalled to duty

Jules
Oh no she won’t be pleased when I show her this. She’s 19 in May and has always had school hols and been able to do pretty much what she wants. This will be a big shock. But it’s what she’s wanted to do since senior school !
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I think that the best plan would be to read plenty of West Coast trip reports (possibly including the single thread one, linked from my signature and also the pre trip link).
From those reports, you will be able to formulate a specific, rather than a general plan.
From your plan, you will then be able to ask specific questions and in addition, those answering will have a better idea of exactly what you seek.

The West Coast and its many attractions is very different to Orlando for a vacation and for many, theme parks form but a small part of the whole. For what it’s worth, LA is my least favourite part of a fantastic State.
Thanks I love trip reports so will take a look! Just wanted to say we at least have visited there even if we never go back. It’s a tick off the bucket list
Old 13 Apr 21, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
LA is marmite - some hate it others love it (I do) so if its your first time in California then I wouldnt want a week there - maybe drive down to Sand Diego for 5 nights then back to to LA for final 2 before flight home (or vice versa) - you an do all the “must see’ in LA in whistle stop day (if you plan hard and tight - I have whopped around work colleagues in a day as I know LA well) and a day at Disney maybe enough (esp Sunday morning when it was was seem deserted - church and Sunday sport takes the locals away)

If you plan a full week there and hate it then you wont have a good time ...
Thanks for the advise unfortunately we have already booked the hotels but San Fran is somewhere we’d like to go so maybe next time with a stop over in Las Vegas !
Old 13 Apr 21, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Enchantedkeepsa View Post
Thanks will take a look I didn’t even realise it was only open to residents only at the moment but I’m sure once the US borders open up for U.K. this will change otherwise we won’t be going anyway
I do not think that will be the case - it is only open for local ie CA residents, it will open up to the rest of the USA residents first I would have thought. Us UK aliens will be at the back of the line . . . . .(and even then 2 jabs proof may be required). However November is a long time off - who knows (I dont) what may be required

Edited at 08:05 PM.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by shack69 View Post
If you want to do DisneyLand then I would look to book one of the good neighbor hotels in Anaheim for those days and then transfer up towards the Hollywood area. You could find a hotel near the redline metro, Then you don't need to use the car as much.
3 days at Disney is about right , Universal you can do it in a day (depending on time of year). But ask yourself if you have been to Universal Orlando do you want to spend time & money on that or instead do the warner studio and a day at six flags (some great rides).
Yes we are moving hotels during the stay. We have been to Universal Orlando but not since 2012 and my son has never been we were planning on a Florida Universal trip when he’s a little older. Just wanted to say we’d been there and brought the t shirt !
Old 13 Apr 21, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Enchantedkeepsa View Post
Thanks for the advise unfortunately we have already booked the hotels but San Fran is somewhere we’d like to go so maybe next time with a stop over in Las Vegas !
San Fran ? San Diego is an easy and short(ish) drive from LA. San Fran is a very long drive . Hence my suggestion
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Lisa_Lollipop View Post
Are you planning on staying in different hotels for the different parts of the trip? One of the main things we struggled with when in LA was the awful traffic getting anywhere so would definitely recommend staying in Anaheim when doing Disney as the drive there and back every day would be soul destroying! :P
Yes we are switching hotels ! I’ve heard about the traffic
Old 13 Apr 21, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post

San Fran ? San Diego is an easy and short(ish) drive from LA. San Fran is a very long drive . Hence my suggestion
Sorry misread that ! Will take a look
Old 13 Apr 21, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post

I do not think that will be the case - it is only open for local ie CA residents, it will open up to the rest of the USA residents first I would have thought. Us UK aliens will be at the back of the line . . . . .(and even then 2 jabs proof may be required). However November is a long time off - who knows (I dont) what may be required
I’ve had my first and second booked in for beginning of June so keeping my fingers crossed for November !
Old 13 Apr 21, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

There is something really magical about Universal in LA. I think because it is original and not a fake like Orlando plus the movie sets really are the movie sets and doing the rides seeing the Hollywood Hills you know you are in the heart of movie land. It is my all time favourite park in the world. Also like Disneyland again as it is the original and was Walts dream - it has the cosy feel about it (and charm) . You will have a blast plus a day on the beach (go to Malibu if you can) sounds perfect