Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 4 Sep 16, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Pixiedust40
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loftus View Post
After reading this thread, and preparing to drive for the first time in the States for many years, I'm thinking of upgrading my hire car to a tank.
I think this would be a lovely way to get around too
dh always has to drive, I'm not brave enough... I couldn't keep an eye on all the over and undertaking and it always seems so busy.

Mind you on the taxi ride from Manhattan back to JFK I'm sure the taxi driver thought he was auditioning for a movie with a high speed chase as I've never been so scared... I was gripping the kids tightly (they were asleep blissfully unaware) as he weaved in and out of the traffic.
Old 4 Sep 16, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WDocW View Post
Honestly it's fine. You just need to give it a day to settle in and appreciate that Americans make much more efficient use of available space than we do on the freeway - when you join for example people will not move over or hang right back to let you out, but they WILL leave you (just) enough room to slot in. It is a bit unsettling at first but once you settle in and go with the flow its actually easier than driving over here I find.
this is it exactly
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 16, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

I have to say that leaving just enough room to slot in isn't making more efficient use of available space in my book, it's not leaving enough space to cope with the unexpected.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 16, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
marksarahl
Earning More Ears

I have driven a number of times in Florida, the only real issue I see is how most drivers seem to only realise last second they need to come off so will race across three lanes to come off, but I drive most days on the M62/M60 and it is like that on there, you see some people in the fast lane and then must think oh I need to turn off here no need to indicate as everyone must realise I need to cut across three lanes and cut everyone up.

It is best to drive a bit slower than everyone else and get there five minutes later and in one piece.
marksarahl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 16, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
americanv8
Apprentice Imagineer

americanv8's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I did notice this year it was considerably worse, speed limit? What speed limit, I'm on the I4 in the far right doing 75 and everything in the neighbouring 2 lanes is rocketing past me. No indications, you cannot leave a safe breaking gap to the car in front because someone jumps into it, constant weaving just to get a car length ahead, no reading the road ahead .. Just wait till you're 5ft away from exit you need then screech across from the outside lane cutting everyone up. Sitting at traffic lights in the outside lane then somehow realising you need to be right and just drive across everyone
americanv8 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 16, 04:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Johnsonsontour
Apprentice Imagineer

Johnsonsontour's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Haven't read thru all posts on this thread BUT... Been out here for just over two weeks now & OMG the driving is the worst we have EVER experienced it's got faster & busier at all times of the day it's the first year that we haven't enjoyed road tripping about the place! And I know it's probably legal out here but the amount of people we have seen texting at the wheel is in double figures!
Sunset Lakes - Villa Aug 2015, Aug 2016 Oct 2017 Oct 2019

Edited at 04:26 AM.
Johnsonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 16, 04:23 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread