Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Feb 17, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Chortle
Getting Excited

using halifax clarity credit card

For those that use this card to withdraw cash and get the current exchange rates how do you manage this to ensure you do not pay interest on the cash withdrawals?

If you take out $400 from an atm are you on the same day making a payment to your account to cancel this out? Or, do you preload the card with a credit balance before using an ATM?

I want to use the card to get cash but dont want to pay daily interest for doing so...

Anyone share some tips?

Thanks
Chortle is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 17, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
youre-nicked
VIP Dibber

In Turkey I used my mobile banking to pay money straight on the card after I withdrew some at an ATM, friend of mine paid his off when he got home and didn't pay much interest.

The terms and conditions on the card don't allow you to pre load it.

I also use a pre loaded FX card that is also really easy to top up from abroad.
Old 22 Feb 17, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

I just withdrew the cash then that evening paid it off. As the above poster says, you cannot pre-load the card but as soon as it has come off your available balance (even if the amount isn't showing on your actual balance), you can pay it off.

Alternatively you could just do it at the end of the holiday. I didn't pay any interest at all paying it off straight away, but even if you left it to the end of the holiday the interest would be very small.
Old 22 Feb 17, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

As long as you are only away for two or three weeks pay it off qhen you get home. Wont cost you anything and it will save lots of stress and hassle whilst you are away. After all holidays are for holidaying.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 17, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Unless you are withdrawing massive amounts of cash at the start of the trip, the interest should be minimal if you pay it on return. Of course you can make payments while you are away, but I don't bother.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 17, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Rather than using it to withdraw cash, could you not just use it as a credit card whilst away and then pay it off as soon as you get home? No interest to pay that way and no need to worry about making payments to it whilst on holiday.
Old 22 Feb 17, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

We use our card for almost everything but just take about $100 in cash which we get before we go. For the difference in the exchange rate against the hassle of getting to a cash machine there and then paying off the same day we find this easier.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 17, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
TerryYa
Excited about Disney

What I normally do is set up a payment in advance before I set off that will cover the initial amount I intend to withdraw. Then I just pay the rest once I get back.

I think interest works out at about £1 per £100 if you withdraw at the beginning of a statement period and don't pay it back until the end so not worth worrying about paying it whilst you're still on holiday
TerryYa is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 17, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
HFJohnson
Imagineer

Originally Posted by hornetgirl View Post
Rather than using it to withdraw cash, could you not just use it as a credit card whilst away and then pay it off as soon as you get home? No interest to pay that way and no need to worry about making payments to it whilst on holiday.
As the above poster mentioned, why do you need to withdraw the cash at all? We just use the credit for most transaction and take a little extra cash from home just in case.
HFJohnson is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 17, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Most credit cards have a 56dat revolving credit. So from the point of using it you then have 56 days to pay before interest will incur.
So unless your away for 2 months just ensure you pay it when you get home.
Check the terms and conditions of the card
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List