Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

View Poll Results: Who is your preferred car rental company and why?
alamo 638 75.95%
hertz 41 4.88%
budget 17 2.02%
dollar 24 2.86%
avis 80 9.52%
sixt 13 1.55%
other 36 4.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 840. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 Feb 18, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
stationeryguru
Imagineer

stationeryguru's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Car On The Drive for us every time, this year will be our 9th with them. Cannot fault the service and Peter & Wendy are just lovely

1989 - Disneymoon, 1991 - QIP & Indian Rocks, 1993 - MIC Lakefront & St Pete's, 1998 - QII & St Pete's Beach, 2001 - ASM, 2003 - QII & Clearwater, 2005 - CBR, 2007 - QIP, 2009 - Dibb Villa Crimbo, 2010 - POFQ, 2011 - Orange Lake Resort, 2012 - Enclave Suites, 2013 Dibb villa, 2014 - Vistana Villages, 2015 - Bahama Bay, 2016 - Bahama Bay, 2017 UC for our 50th + Dibb Villa
stationeryguru is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Carol J
VIP Dibber

Car on the Drive for us unbeatable service, Peter & Wendy are great its always good to see a friendly face when we arrive

Hotel 1992
Private Villa 1993, 1996, 2000, 2004, 2007
2009 Port Orleans French Quarter - 30th Wedding Anniversary break just the two of us!
2011 - 2 weeks Terrace Ridge Condo
2013 - 2 weeks Palm Key Village
2014 - 14 nights Palm Key Village, 2 Nights Melia Suite Hotel Celebration
2016 Villa 6 nights Royal Pacific Resort 4 nights
August 2018 17 nights Dibb Villa and 3 nights Royal Pacific Resort
2019 Villa 2 weeks just the two of us!
Carol J is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Oh gosh,
Well this vote has me thinking now, I’ve booked with budget via Andy at DFCH. Was so much cheaper than anyone else.

Are budget really that bad? The vote suggests the worst!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

How does the vote suggest that Budget is the worst?

I would bet that most of those that have voted for Alamo haven't actually used most of the other companies, so it's difficult to take anything from the simple poll results. Just shows that booking Alamo is popular, possibly as it's used by Virgin etc.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Lloydy22 View Post
Oh gosh,
Well this vote has me thinking now, I’ve booked with budget via Andy at DFCH. Was so much cheaper than anyone else.

Are budget really that bad? The vote suggests the worst!
No Budget aren't.

What you have is a perfect storm. Alamo don't have the best cars. Probably they are on a par with Avis and Hertz. But their business model puts them at the top of the pile as people love to pick their own vehicle.
Are Budget better or worse than others? I dont think so.
I put them in with Dollar and Thrifty, nothing wrong with them if the price is right.

Now we come to SixT. Why are they so low on the poll. Purely because they are offsite. They have one of the best fleets in Orlando but people don't fancy the bus ride.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
No Budget aren't.

What you have is a perfect storm. Alamo don't have the best cars. Probably they are on a par with Avis and Hertz. But their business model puts them at the top of the pile as people love to pick their own vehicle.
Are Budget better or worse than others? I dont think so.
I put them in with Dollar and Thrifty, nothing wrong with them if the price is right.

Now we come to SixT. Why are they so low on the poll. Purely because they are offsite. They have one of the best fleets in Orlando but people don't fancy the bus ride.
Glad someone asked and thanks for the reply as we have also booked through Andy picking up from Budget at Tampa. We're also planning on booking a smaller car to pick up from Budget at the Doubletree at Disney Springs or Old Town. Do you think these smaller branches of budget will be ok?
Old 13 Feb 18, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Orlando 2004 View Post
Glad someone asked and thanks for the reply as we have also booked through Andy picking up from Budget at Tampa. We're also planning on booking a smaller car to pick up from Budget at the Doubletree at Disney Springs or Old Town. Do you think these smaller branches of budget will be ok?
No matter who you rent with, Avis, Hertz, Alamo etc picking up at a hotel is always a gamble. Small operation and little or no swop cars if you have an issue. However what you hired will be there.
Any problems with it pulling to the left take it to the main depot and swap it.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
No matter who you rent with, Avis, Hertz, Alamo etc picking up at a hotel is always a gamble. Small operation and little or no swop cars if you have an issue. However what you hired will be there.
Any problems with it pulling to the left take it to the main depot and swap it.
Thanks. Still looking at our options. I'd normally prefer the disney car center over a hotel location but with it being December Alamo are a lot more.
Old 23 Feb 18, 01:05 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Alamo was the pits historically.
But since they were taken over by Enterprise, quite a few years ago, they are the ones to go with.
Enterprise group of companies has a very good customer service and quality culture. I highly recommend them. For example when I was caught by the cameras on a New Jersey toll last year, their admin fee was peanuts.
I'm flying into Southampton next Thursday, I'll only book Enterprise.
Old 23 Feb 18, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Damn Dirty Ape
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
How does the vote suggest that Budget is the worst?

I would bet that most of those that have voted for Alamo haven't actually used most of the other companies, so it's difficult to take anything from the simple poll results. Just shows that booking Alamo is popular, possibly as it's used by Virgin etc.
I've hired with Budget and they are terrible. Won't touch them again. They are too busy trying to sell ice to Eskimos at the counter to actually worry about processing the queue of renters efficiently. US Customs at MCO after getting off last on a 747 is quicker than trying to rent with Budget. Dollar aren't much better. Never again. I will only now rent with Alamo or maybe Avis. Couldn't be bothered with the going offsite for Hertz unless I see one of their glitch prices again.
Trip #16: In planning
Damn Dirty Ape is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List